Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MEETING A NEW MUSICAL DIRECTOR  (Read 3420 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: MEETING A NEW MUSICAL DIRECTOR
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2021, 09:29:29 AM »

From John:

I went to Mass today with Laurie. There was a small kid in the back near us screaming, “I don’t want to stay here. I want to go home now!”

How do you even deal with that in a way that the kid doesn't have his behavior rewarded, yet not continue to disturb everyone else-lol

Jane

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »

DR George I enjoyed your photos.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »

DR John I look forward to see your photos of the elk and buffaloes grazing.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2021, 09:41:48 AM »

DR Vixmom I enjoyed seeing you live :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2021, 11:36:33 AM »

I, too, subscribe to the mono Trouble in Tahiti as being the "right" one. I discovered the piece while still at school, or perhaps just after getting out of school, not sure.

(I wonder if I bought the vocal score from Patelson's or at de Keyser Music in Hollywood, because that would sure tell me. Damn it to hell. I like to remember those things.)

Anyhoo, I *think* that might have still been the only recording then. Either that, or I chose it because I knew of Beverly Wolff. I do know that a couple of others I've heard have lacked that special something.

I also discovered (and fell in love with) Trouble in Tahiti in college.  I've since gotten a couple (few?) other recordings.  And I've also found a few videos of modern productions that were released on YouTube. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2021, 11:37:37 AM »

Three different cheeses?

I'm not a bleu cheese eater, but good cheese combinations can be wonderful. I always first and foremost remember a favorite breakfast sandwich that I believe had three. And if you haven't had a good four-(or more)-cheese macaroni, you haven't lived.

I don't love bleu cheese, but adding the extra cheese from my friend's burger made it all quite tasty.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »

Do not attempt to go to Costco today.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2021, 11:42:03 AM »

It isn't open ;D

George

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2021, 11:50:28 AM »

Vixmom -- you watched a Harold Lloyd short and liked it? And you hadn't seen any of his stuff before now? If I'm reading that correctly, you have some wonderful watching ahead of you.

I got into Harold Lloyd just a few years ago, when I got the opportunity to play a new score for The Freshman in a small professional orchestra. It was a one-time public showing and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. Part of the thrill was getting to know the movie, which is a favorite now, and the Criterion edition is the only way to go.  Lloyd was one of the best.

Back in May, I ushered for the silent film series at the Washington Center, and they showed two Harold Lloyd films, Speedy and High and Dizzy.  Both were really good and very enjoyable!

George

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2021, 11:52:57 AM »

I just read a story of identical twin brothers, one had J&J, the other nothing.  One had a fever for three days while the other died in the hospital :(

That's terrible.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2021, 11:53:02 AM »

I spent the last hour organizing cat food so I now have ready about 3.5 months of meals. That's a releif.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »

That was the lake that the trail goes around.  Here's some kind of flying bug that neither of us had seen before:

It's a dragonfly.

Probably a widow skimmer.

Thanks, Laura!

George

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2021, 11:53:53 AM »

DR George I enjoyed your photos.

Thanks, Jane.

George

« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2021, 11:54:43 AM »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2021, 12:10:42 PM »

Vixmom -- you watched a Harold Lloyd short and liked it? And you hadn't seen any of his stuff before now? If I'm reading that correctly, you have some wonderful watching ahead of you.

I got into Harold Lloyd just a few years ago, when I got the opportunity to play a new score for The Freshman in a small professional orchestra. It was a one-time public showing and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. Part of the thrill was getting to know the movie, which is a favorite now, and the Criterion edition is the only way to go.  Lloyd was one of the best.

Amen.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2021, 12:43:10 PM »

I didn't report on my dream, at least the one I remember. It was one of the most outrageous Not Being Prepared For a Performance ones yet. I was playing this show, apparently it was just me on piano, and Act 2 of my score was missing. I got the director to print another copy, but as I looked through my binder, I found all of these scraps of paper and post-its with notes as to what still had to be rehearsed. Then I remembered I had barely even played some of these songs at all, and I wondered if I could look them over in the 30 minutes left before curtain. It became more hopeless with every passing moment, and it took a good minute or more upon awakening to realize that it had been a dream and I could let the relief flood over me.

ChasSmith

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2021, 01:01:05 PM »

DR Elmore — the live recording on YouTube of Boy Meets Boy is hard to listen to, sound quality wise, and rather hideous in its use of what sounds like a bad first generation synth keyboards, that I find it difficult to give it a fair shake. But your opinion of the show and score are warning enough that I feel I should steer us clear of it... all in spite of what a good guy Bill Solly must be, and that's too bad.

Another show being suggested for this slot is Dames at Sea. This is for the 2022 holiday period, but the theater doesn't require a holiday themed show, just something fun or festive and not requiring a large cast.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:17:40 PM by ChasSmith »

Jane

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2021, 01:12:51 PM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - almost ten hours of needed sleep.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2021, 01:34:29 PM »

DR Elmore — the live recording on YouTube of Boy Meets Boy is hard to listen to, sound quality wise, and rather hideous in its use of what sounds like a bad first generation synth keyboards, that I find it difficult to give it a fair shake. But your opinion of the show and score are warning enough that I feel I should steer us clear of it... all in spite of what a good guy Bill Solly must be, and that's too bad.

Another show being suggested for this slot is Dames at Sea. This is for the 2022 holiday period, but the theater doesn't require a holiday themed show, just something fun or festive and not requiring a large cast.

Dames At Sea is a better show than Boy Meets Boy but I foind the photos of the original off-Broadway production just a bit too intentionally trashy. I disliked the last inflated Broadway production, which I thought missed the attempt to make six performers seem like 600.  i hope the production can capture the campy feel of a 1930s film. Is the TV production on YouTube?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2021, 01:37:02 PM »

Freddie

• The poster formerly known as FJL
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2021, 01:56:53 PM »

What's not to love, it's such a wholesome story:  "Boy meets boy, boy loses boy, and boy gets boy in the end." 

And Mildred from New Brunswick leans over to her friend and says, "you see, I told you, they're gay."  This is the same Mildred who leaned over to her friend at "The Heiress" and said "you see, I told you, she's an heiress."  :)
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Something like that only happens two or three times in a person's life!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2021, 02:04:30 PM »

Great photos, George.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2021, 04:17:13 PM »

Good evening!

KevinH

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2021, 04:17:37 PM »

TOD:  It's a Wonderful Life

KevinH

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2021, 04:18:19 PM »

I was surprised that the Pharmacy at Walgreens was closed today too.

KevinH

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »

Nice photos, DR George!

Jane

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2021, 04:32:53 PM »

I was surprised that the Pharmacy at Walgreens was closed today too.

:o

Jane

« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2021, 04:34:38 PM »

It is a good thing I picked up my prescription the other day as the Fred Meyer pharmacy is also closed. 

Jane

« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2021, 04:35:40 PM »

The gym was rather busy today (so glad I had on my FN94 mask) which is why we left early and went to Costco instead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up