Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOTLIGHT  (Read 2863 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPOTLIGHT
« on: August 19, 2021, 12:06:52 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had a spotlight, and now it is time for you to post until the spotted cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SPOTLIGHT
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 12:07:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHLEGETHON!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 03:05:02 AM »

Good morning, friends.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 03:07:17 AM »

DR vixmom, I am thrilled for your news, on both fronts.   Congratulations!!!!!!

I know you will be great, and that they'll be blessed to have you on their team.

And it sounds like you won't have to be driven crazy by dealing with the public at large.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 03:30:13 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 03:32:05 AM »

Yay, DR vixmom! I am so happy for your new job and hopefully lucrative encounters qurg the NY State Dept of Labor!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 03:33:28 AM »

I think it's going to be a rainy day so I'm staying in with the Philly Pops work. Tomorrow or Saturday I must needs visit my pharmacy for my meds and a colonoscopy prep kit.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 03:35:44 AM »

I'm too computer ignorant to have any specific complaints about my Mac. I only know that staring at a scree and weeping profusely does no good at all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 04:12:53 AM »

Last night we watched the new Criterion release of Original Cast Album: Company, which I caught on its first TV showing nearly fifty years ago. It remains an amazing document, but it means so much more to me now since I knew or worked with so many involved in that amazoing show.

I hate Criterion's display of the extra features, but I did manage to watch the interview with Jonathan Tunick.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 04:13:38 AM »

I think tonight we'll watch the documentary again with the commentary.

ChasSmith

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 04:32:28 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 04:34:48 AM »

My day started at 4:45 am when I was awakened by a TORNADO WARNING on my phone.

Long story short, we were in the last of a huge tropical (I guess) rainstorm then, but the warning wasn't for us. It was for an area in Westchester County, and I have had that a lot of people lost power in that area.

I am very grateful it was a false alarm, but what a way to start the day.

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 04:35:56 AM »

Vixmom, that is incredible news ... and you still have a very nice deposit from NY State to look forward to.

Congratulations, many times over!

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 04:44:53 AM »

TOD

Don't get me started. Even if you did get me started, I wouldn't know where to begin in listing things.

I'm three and a half years into using a Mac, and I still get confounded by Apple's way of doing certain things. I have indeed tried using Spotlight a few times, maybe half a dozen times in all, and I think maybe one of those times it actually found what I needed and saved my sorry ASS from engaging in a lengthy manual search.

I had just as many gripes in the Windows world, too. I just haven't used it that much lately. But for my needs, I have to have both now. Neither is the be-all and end-all that its devotees and fanatics would claim.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 04:45:59 AM »

Ewww.  Gesundheit.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 04:50:26 AM »

Last night we watched the new Criterion release of Original Cast Album: Company, which I caught on its first TV showing nearly fifty years ago. It remains an amazing document, but it means so much more to me now since I knew or worked with so many involved in that amazoing show.

I hate Criterion's display of the extra features, but I did manage to watch the interview with Jonathan Tunick.

Looking forward to having this ultimate edition of it, but that won't be till (let me think) ... the next semi-annual Criterion 24-hour flash sale which will be in late October or thereabouts. Or failing that, the next semi-annual Barnes & Noble sale which will be November. I just don't bother buying Criterions at any but those four times per year. I even skipped the July B&N sale this year.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 05:02:13 AM »

Maybe this is answered somewhere in that wealth of material, but did Pennebaker have additional footage that wasn't included in the finished documentary?

If he did, I understand keeping it on the cutting room floor...under normal circumstances.

BUT -- since that documentary series turned out to be a one shot deal, AND given the increasing importance of this episode over the past half century, I wonder if Criterion or anyone else ever made the case that additional bonus footage of that session would be considered critical and worthy of inclusion as supplemental material on the disc.

Maybe this has been asked and answered many times over, and I'm the only one unaware of it.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 05:09:13 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 05:10:04 AM »

I hate all those PBS phlegethons, don’t you?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 05:11:31 AM »

Looking forward to having this ultimate edition of it, but that won't be till (let me think) ... the next semi-annual Criterion 24-hour flash sale which will be in late October or thereabouts. Or failing that, the next semi-annual Barnes & Noble sale which will be November. I just don't bother buying Criterions at any but those four times per year. I even skipped the July B&N sale this year.

I skipped it, too, because of all the DVDs I have to watch. But I will get Company eventually.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 05:25:21 AM »

What I hate about this Mac is every upgrade further destroys what once was iTunes. In the previous upgrade, I lost all of my playlists, which still burns my ass, and in the upgrade to Catalina - I can upgrade no further on this because of its age -  iTunes became "Music" and the layout of the window changed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:28:58 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2021, 05:28:28 AM »

Yesterday an idiot young married couple went shopping and left their one-year-old baby locked inside their Mercedes. Rescuers broke a window to save the baby. The couple claimed they were checking on the child every 25 minutes and they were pissed their car window was broken. Some fools should never be parents.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 06:11:14 AM »

I just took the garbage to the basement. It's very warm and muggy outside the Apartment AC. There's no rain, but I'd swear the humidity is 200%.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2021, 06:56:40 AM »

I forgot to post yesterday that I like Cheez-Whiz on celery sticks.

A must on the before dinner plate at smart dinner parties....with martinis.....crunch, slurp, crunch, slurp.
....it has an undertaste.....

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2021, 06:56:51 AM »

Good news from DR VIXMOM.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2021, 06:58:12 AM »

We are back to Act One tonight at rehearsal.

John G.

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2021, 07:18:36 AM »

I forgot to post yesterday that I like Cheez-Whiz on celery sticks.

A must on the before dinner plate at smart dinner parties....with martinis.....crunch, slurp, crunch, slurp.

You left burp off your list.

Crunch, slurp, burp, slurp crunch.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2021, 07:38:37 AM »

Slurp crunch is the modern equivalent of Sondheim’s sorry grateful
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2021, 07:45:00 AM »

Yesterday an idiot young married couple went shopping and left their one-year-old baby locked inside their Mercedes. Rescuers broke a window to save the baby. The couple claimed they were checking on the child every 25 minutes and they were pissed their car window was broken. Some fools should never be parents.

Where did this happen?

Also, wait just a damned minute. Is it even remotely thinkable to leave a child (or a baby???) locked inside a car -- AT ALL? Let alone for not being checked on except at 25-MINUTE INTERVALS?

The more I think about this, the closer my brain gets to es'plodin'.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2021, 07:53:32 AM »

And beyond the heat or other climate/health-related considerations...

What about the possibility of KIDNAPPING? Or vandalism that would in turn be a threat to the child?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up