Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WALTZING INTO APRIL  (Read 25033 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:WALTZING INTO APRIL
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2005, 01:33:12 PM »

Other of vixmom's favorite waltzes include:
"Who Stole the Keishka?"
and
"The Beer Barrel Polka"
:)

My wife, who grew up in Wisconsin, has said she was in her mid-20s before she realized wedding reception music was not limited to polka bands.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2005, 01:33:24 PM »

Yes, Happy Birthday, Steve O whom I had the pleasure of meeting in the chat room on Monday night. Come join us at the forum please.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2005, 01:33:43 PM »

With Goneril, Regan and Cordelia in nice red sequin numbers lounging on top singing a waltz, no doubt!  :)

Followed no doubt  by  "Hamlet to Play Cello"
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2005, 01:36:02 PM »

Do Robinson's racing pigs tour the country? Because now that you mention it, there were some racing pigs at a county fair we went to upstate last summer.

Out here we go to the Annual Fiddler Crab Races" at the Boat Basin
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2005, 01:39:23 PM »

Jennifer, I think you're contradicting your own argument if you're wondering how Nikko could rise from being voted out to the top of the ladder.

Aren't YOU the one who says the judges' opinions influence viewer voting the most, and NO ONE got more raves on Tuesday than Nikko.

And American LOVE a comeback story more than just about anything.

Now, understand when I say that I am not a fan of Nikko's boy band technique or voice. I'm just commenting on my observations, and I DID make the phone calls that resulted in busy signals for an hour on Nikko's line. What additional proof do you need?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2005, 01:40:57 PM »

Yes, DR RODZINSKI -  The Racing Pigs hit all the BIG fairs and festivals.  

They wear regular racing silks, and you can get flags to wave in the audience.  The bell goes off, a recording of The Sabre Dance starts, and pigs race in a large oval.  To the winner goes....an aluminum bowl full of Oreo cookies!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2005, 01:41:26 PM »

Our spring weather left hurriedly. We've had rain all day, and it's been cool. By the weekend, we're back to highs in the 50s for a day or two.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2005, 01:43:25 PM »

I've always been partial to Waltz Disney.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2005, 01:44:34 PM »

Matt H-
Do you call the numbers to see if they are busy and if they ring you hang up? Or is your vote registered with each of your calls?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2005, 01:44:47 PM »

Believe it or not, today is National Clams on the Half Shell Day.

No word as to when National Clams on the Whole Shell Day is celebrated.  Sorry.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2005, 01:47:24 PM »

Yes, JRand. I know these pigs then. There is always a clock near the mini race track. "Next race begins at 3:15" or whatever. And a cartoon painting of a pig in a racing helmet.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2005, 01:48:16 PM »

Matt H-
Do you call the numbers to see if they are busy and if they ring you hang up? Or is your vote registered with each of your calls?

No, a vote is registered if the phone answers. You don't have to listen to the taped message every time. No vote registers on a busy signal. I don't mind giving a stray vote here and there to find out how the voting is going.

In the second hour, I vote only for my favorites. This week it was Constantine and Anthony that got my votes.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2005, 01:49:58 PM »

As a young fan club member, I once met ZZ Top at the Indiana State Fair.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2005, 01:51:19 PM »

Some Sondheim Waltzes:

"I'm Calm," from Forum.

"The Cookie Chase," from Anyone Can Whistle.

"Someone is Waiting," from Company.

"Could I Leave You," from Follies.

"A Bowler Hat," from Pacific Overtures.

"A Little Priest," from Sweeney Todd.

"Agony," from Into the Woods.

"Lesson #8," from Sunday in the Park with George.

And, of course, the whole danged score to A Little Night Music.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2005, 01:53:20 PM »

When it comes to AI voting, I decide who I think ought to be in the bottom 3, and then cast a vote for everyone else (if I can get through -- if I can't I figure that person is safe).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2005, 01:53:27 PM »

"Happily Ever After" before it was turned into "Being Alive"

Jennifer

« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2005, 01:54:18 PM »

DR MattH, re: Nikko.  Even though I think the judges influence/manipulate the voters, I would be amazed if someone who was voted out could place first.  

I for one, would not be happy to have someone who was voted out win AI (not that I think he will).

I am curious though how many votes separate first from last.  If it's only a few thousand, then it would seem anybody could go any given week.  I've always wondered how many more votes the first place person gets.  And I wonder if an obvious trend appears (say if carrie places first every single week by a huge margin).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2005, 01:57:04 PM »

... the whacko right will be raising bucks on her corpse for years:
NY TIMES:
List of Schiavo Donors Will Be Sold by Direct-Marketing Firm
By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK and JOHN SCHWARTZ

WASHINGTON, March 28 - The parents of Terri Schiavo have authorized a conservative direct-mailing firm to sell a list of their financial supporters, making it likely that thousands of strangers moved by her plight will receive a steady stream of solicitations from anti-abortion and conservative groups.

"These compassionate pro-lifers donated toward Bob Schindler's legal battle to keep Terri's estranged husband from removing the feeding tube from Terri," says a description of the list on the Web site of the firm, Response Unlimited, which is asking $150 a month for 6,000 names and $500 a month for 4,000 e-mail addresses of people who responded last month to an e-mail plea from Ms. Schiavo's father. "These individuals are passionate about the way they value human life, adamantly oppose euthanasia and are pro-life in every sense of the word!"

Lou Sheldon, and Randall Terry, and Richard Viguerie, Oh My!...now these are minions!

der Brucer
Is this to be known as Schindler's List?

:P :-\
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 01:57:43 PM by S. Woody White »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2005, 01:58:36 PM »

I guess I should care what happens on "Survivor" tonight...but for the life of me, I cannot think of a reason to.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2005, 02:00:34 PM »

Believe it or not, today is National Clams on the Half Shell Day.

No word as to when National Clams on the Whole Shell Day is celebrated.  Sorry.   :P

Looking at my Futurama calendar, today is also Transfer Day in the Virgin Islands!  I wonder what they're Transfering...The Manhattan?? ;)

It's also the birthdays of Cesar Chavez (1927), Barney Frank (1940) and Ewan McGregor (1971). ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2005, 02:05:33 PM »

She goes to the train station where she is joined by Michael Vartan.  They dance.
If you were watching closely, you may have seen Vartan walk by a man dining by himself in a roped-off area.

The roped-off area is part of a restaurant located at Union Station, called Traxx.  Der B and I have had several memorable meals there.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2005, 02:07:33 PM »

Re: last night's ALIAS

It was sort of creepy being buried alive.
But think of the money they saved on sets!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2005, 02:14:11 PM »

Ah okay. But why the train station?
One of the stations of the Red Line in Los Angeles is supposedly where the current APO has their headquarters.

The Red Line also has a station at Union Station, in fact it is the downtown end of the line.

So it was only logical for Sydney to meet Vaughn at Union Station.  (And it's far more romantic than any of the Red Line stations.)

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2005, 02:17:22 PM »

What can I tell you, Jennifer? I have the busy signals on the East Coast to prove that Nikko was the most popular from Tuesday night. His was the ONLY line that stayed busy for the first hour of voting. Every other person I called had no busy signals past the first HALF HOUR.

We saw Fantasia go from most popular to second from the lowest vote getter last year in one week's time. No reason to think it can't work the other way, too.

But you can argue with a fence post if you want to.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »

My favorite waltz is one by Mason Williams that deals with a three legged gal - Woody will provide details.
Details, details, details...

The song in question is "The Last Great Waltz," found on Mason's CD Music 1968 - 1971.  It tells the tale of Jonathan W. Astor, who loves to dance, and loves to waltz most of all.  Unfortunately, when he attends a ball none of the ladies will dance with him because he's too much of a perfectionist.  Ah, but then he meets the Triskellion, who has the same problem because she has three legs...

It's a funny song, warmly funny so it stays funny every time we listen to it.  Part of the humor is in the music itself.  It starts in 4/4, for the narration, slips into 3/4 for Jonathan's solo, back to 4/4 for more narration, then to 3/4 for the Triskellion's solo (sung by Jennifer Warnes, I believe), back again to 4/4 for more narration, and finally, as Jonathan and the Triskellion happily dance together, goes into 5/4 time!  Absolutely perfect!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2005, 02:39:04 PM »

The last time we were in L.A. (in fact, the time BK and I met at Jerry's), we took the train from Portland.  Unfortunately there was Metroliner crash on the way south and we had to disembark at some town about 50 miles or so north of L.A.  But coming back we got to leave from Union Station.  What a grand old station it is.  We stayed at some really scary hotel across the street from the parking lot so that we wouldn't have to battle traffic that morning.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2005, 02:47:08 PM »

LOL SWW & derBRUCER - "The Last Great Waltz".  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Kerry

« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2005, 03:02:09 PM »

Happy Birthday, Ann!  Has she caught up yet?

I love the "Embassy Waltz" from "My Fair Lady."
I like boat races.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2005, 03:35:29 PM »

Today was a glorious day, and the desert is still covered with wildflowers:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »

It would seem like a subway station, but they are in LA, I beleive, and to my knowledge, there is no subway there.  So, it must be a train station.

I think there is a subway in LA. Never been on it, but saw it in the film Speed and Volcanoe where a guy melts as he steps down from a train and into the lava.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up