Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CUT TO THE CHASE  (Read 20043 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:CUT TO THE CHASE
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2005, 01:32:42 PM »

Hi ArnoldMBrockman  :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2005, 01:32:54 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing thoughts on Miss Charisse, DRCP.  That's the kind of story I love to hear!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2005, 01:33:36 PM »

yes DRJANE PST....whew!

Very mysterious signature.....maybe Leslie will remember.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2005, 01:33:43 PM »

AND

WHO'S MINDING THE MINT?

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2005, 01:33:49 PM »

Always a delight to see a post from Mr Brockman Snr.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2005, 01:34:32 PM »

HI JANE!!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2005, 01:36:11 PM »

And a Hi to you TOMOVOZ

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2005, 01:38:24 PM »

She continued on and I switched to ice skating.

Giving me an excuse to post:

Hillary Swank has won two Oscars, for playing a woman boxer and a woman disguising herself as a man. She's going to combine the two in her next movie, "The Tonya Harding Story".

Which came from Jokes by Jim which also offers:

Martha Stewart is out of prison. She received a gift of lemons from Rosie O'Donnell. Rosie sure didn't waste any time seeing if Martha was playing for the other team after being in prison...

Martha Stewart's version of "The Apprentice" will air on NBC this fall. She won't be using Donald Trump's catch phrase "You're Fired!". Instead, she will be using her own, "Get in the bunk, bitch!"

She may occasionally substitute it with "Book 'em, Dano!"

Martha Stewart's popularity has gone up several points following her prison sentence. How bad is your image when people only like you after you've served time?

After hearing that news, Star Jones confessed to a number of crimes. So did Kato Kaelin, but he still can't even get arrested in Hollywood.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2005, 01:39:14 PM »

I've had a productive morning.  I went to the bank, I went to the library...but forgot my library card, so it wasn't a very fruitful trip, went shopping for some more costume materials, and went to Safeway.  Now I've eaten some leftovers from last night's dinner, and I'm thinking about curling up on the couch for awhile.  One of my dear friends decided to wake me up at 8:30 this morning, so I'm a little short on sleep.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2005, 01:50:13 PM »

DR ANN....I missed something.  What costume?

François de Paris

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2005, 02:08:39 PM »

Obviously Cyd Charisse was a woman of class.  I also remember her as being very nice, but reserved.

She WAS and, I bet, still IS!

The LEGS! I got to meet with her in Florida, back in 1989, I believe and -- NOT thanks to me! -- the following year, she was THE guest star of the yearly Film Noir Festival of Cognac, France, followed by my "pal" Mike Connors, the following year!

Miss Charisse IS CLASS: Miss Jagger is NOT!
Other times; other moores!.........

Jane

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »

I think it was cute Rosie sent lemons to Martha.  I haven’t been following the story but I did catch the part about lemonade.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2005, 02:12:07 PM »

A search brought up a Thomas "Pep" Lee who was a scout for the Dodgers back then.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2005, 02:19:15 PM »

You may have it, DR CP.  Closer than my search got me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2005, 02:20:53 PM »

Oh yeah, maybe I didn't mention this...the professor who directed me in Pirates of Penzance last year was very pleased with my work with the costumes, so he asked me to come back this year and help them out with costumes for De Fledermaus.  Only this time I get paid :D

Jane

« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2005, 02:28:19 PM »

Ann- :D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »

Topic’ du jour

I must agree with Charles.  The funniest farce I have ever seen, on stage, was the original London production of NOISES OFF. There were two things that really added to my enjoyment of that production. First of all, that particular tour group I had taken to London was made up of mostly drama students and adults involved with theater.  Secondly, our London theater broker told us nothing about the show other than we would enjoy it.  We did indeed.  We laughed so hard, I can remember literally holding on to each other to keep from falling out of our seats.

The beauty of that production was even more evident, two days later, when we attended a matinee performance of a mildly amusing English farce entitled NO SEX, PLEASE, WE’RE BRITISH..  This was an excellent example of a production that had stayed open long past its prime.  The theater was only about half-full and the actors literally just walked-through their performances.  The less the actors gave, the less the audience laughed, so that by intermission, both sides had reached a mutual hate society.  At the curtain call, the cast showed their displeasure with the audience by doing everything but giving us the bird.  The audience responded by nearly total silence.  A very weird day in theater.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:44:58 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2005, 02:47:20 PM »

Today I got my baseball signed by the cast of Li'l Abner.  It doesn't say anything about Dodger Stadium (which, as someone pointed out, hadn't been built yet), so it may have come from a Hollywood Stars game at Gilmore Field or from an Angels game somewhere else.
I doubt that the ball came from an Angels game; the Angels franchise didn't exist until 1961.

The most likely source of the ball is Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, where they played from 1958, when they moved to Los Angeles from some place on the East Coast that remains bitter about the move, until 1962, when they relocated to Dodger Stadium.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »

I think that's correct about Thomas "Pep" Lee.  And I think it's correct about the Dodgers.  The "Paul", now that I look closer, is part of the "To Joe and Paul" sig above "Pep" Lee.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »

Today, der Brucer and I went to the Rehoboth Beach Chocolate Festival.

We were hoping to see our friend, Chef Charles, who had entered a cheesecake in the competition.  Unfortunately, by the time we got there even the cheesecake was gone!  He did win second place in the Restaurant Cheesecake category, with the pastry chef at Nage coming in first.  That's a good scoring for Charles, as Nage is highly known for it's pastries.

Now, let's see if I can get some pics posted.  For one thing, here's the winner for the Showcase category.

That's all chocolate and sugar, including the car and rider!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2005, 03:00:46 PM »

How about these examples of a "Sugar Shack!"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2005, 03:02:48 PM »

This is pretty, but not as spectacular.

And this...this was being served!

Thinking of Jose and Penny, wishing we could be there next week.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 03:04:14 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2005, 03:05:19 PM »

And those are my "I went for a walk and this is what I saw" pics for the day!   ;D

Jane

« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2005, 03:05:33 PM »

Apparently Ashland had its first chocolate fest last weekend but I wasn’t aware of it until it was too late.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2005, 03:06:27 PM »

Your escapade could have much more entertaining for the readers if you had to leave your car over night ;D

der Brucer

When I rewrite it for the movie I'll  make sure I'm miles from help, push the car to a garage  singlehandedly and sleep with the mechanic for parts and labor, or better yet pull a McGyver and fix it with a pair of pantyhose and a hairpin!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2005, 03:07:34 PM »

Very strange, I tried to log on here a  moment ago and it wouldn't let me.  I had to close out of AOL, reopen Aol and resign on....stupid  dialup....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2005, 03:07:35 PM »

NOISES OFF just reminded me so much of my days in dinner theatre...from the cheesy plays, the obtuse actors, the exasperated director, the backstage flings and affairs, and the general grinding down after a long run and the cast and crew getting weary of one another.  Like TCB  I went knowing really nothing about the play I was sitting in the front row of the stalls at Savoy theatre...and all but fell out of my chair laughing over it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 03:56:02 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2005, 03:15:16 PM »

I don't see DRRODZINSKI in his red shirt...but I am not sure which table he is sitting at.  It could be the one on the same side as the cameras.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2005, 03:15:39 PM »

I think Philip Bosco was a bit out of sorts because so much press was devoted to Carol Burnett coming back to Broadway after all those years. I think he felt slighted by all the attention she was getting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »

I would also add to my list of favorite farces:

LEND ME A TENOR
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM
WHAT’S UP DOC?

I was in a production of BLACK COMEDY back when I attended Jed and Ann’s alma mater, Central Washington University (okay, it was still a college back then).  It was a fantastic production and one the first really successful (audience-wise) shows at Central during my time there.  One of the biggest problems with BLACK COMEDY is that it is usually paired with Mr. Shaffer’s less funny (read dull) other one-act, WHITE LIARS.  As my esteemed director, Dr. Betty Evans, told us at our first rehearsal, “If we start with WHITE LIARS, they probably won’t stay around for BLACK COMEDY.”  So, we did it on its own, as a one-act.  I played the rather flamboyant character of Harold.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up