Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EVENING STAR  (Read 4969 times)

KevinH

Re: EVENING STAR
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »

Lots of power outages.   I was happy that I still had power and was able to do four loads of laundry this morning.  As I was having lunch, at about 1:45 pm, the power went out.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »

The redbud trees are showing their true colors again. Just seeing them makes me happy.

Redbuds are very pretty. There were a couple of them near my first Virginia townhouse.

I googled a photo.  They would make me happy too.

KevinH

« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »

I talked to sister Kate/Catherine/Cate and decided to venture outside.   There were some kind of tiles all over the little courtyard in front of the buildings but other than that no damage from the storm.   Lots of damage elsewhere, though.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »

Oops. Jane, the only MAIGRET shows I've seen are the Atkinson and Gambon. I hadn't known there was another.

I was curious if you agreed or disagreed with my brother's opinion of Cremer as Maigret. 

KevinH

« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2018, 04:50:27 PM »

I went to Giant supermarket and Target.  When I got back home, the lights were on!  Then they went out.  Then they came back on and have been since about 4:15 or so.  No cable tv or internet though.   I'm using my phone as a "hotspot" right now.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »

The wind was recorded at over 70 mph at Dulles airport.

:o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »

Great public relations this morning for McDonald's restaurants.  I guess if you're homeless, you can't eat there...even if you pay for it.

Very sad.

:( >:(

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/03/01/video-homeless-man-kicked-out-mcdonalds-after-customer-buys-him-food-goes-viral.html

Well, there is this: ""At my restaurant, the goal is to provide our customers with a positive and welcoming experience each time they visit. Unfortunately, the individual in this video has a history of disruptive behavior and has been asked to leave by management and police on several occasions."

So the fellow had a history of coming in and being disruptive.  I believe Mr. Gallo knew exactly what was going to happen, I believe he was ready to film and then be antagonistic to get the cops there and I believe this was all about viral.  He got his wish.

I wondered about a back story with this.  When the kids were young, Craig about 4 or 5, we had an incident at a McDonald's in Los Angeles with an aggressive homeless person.  For a long time after that Craig was skittish around them.  The incident wasn't all that bad, it was just Craig was at an age where it was scary for him.

I had an incident I think I wrote about here with some psycho homeless guy - I certainly commiserate with homeless people who, because of circumstance, have ended up that way, but I don't commiserate with psychotic people who have ended up that way because - they're psychotic.  About three years ago at Du-Par's some psycho homeless who coincidentally looked JUST like the guy in this recent video, came in and started screaming at people.  I was up on my feet instantly, because there were kids there and I told him to get the "f" out or I would call the cops - he screamed a bunch of incoherent stuff but as soon as I lifted my phone to my ear he beat it.  The Du-par's hostess said he was in there often and they'd have to call the police, but that he'd always beat it.  My point is, someone could have filmed me telling him to get the "f" out with no context or history and that in today's asinine world would have gone viral and I'd be receiving death threats right about now.  If this jerk was in there and disruptive before, I have no problem with the manger telling him to get out, whether this one time he'd paid because he'd been given money, or not.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2018, 05:37:53 PM »

I got squat today - no mail, no nothing.  I did get to have a too long two-hour work session, but we got everything done.  After picking up no mail, I ended up at Hugo's, which was jammed for being almost three o'clock - filled with loud-mouthed people, kids - I mean, not a holiday, folks.  I got a table and had my little Caesar salad and pasta papa.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »

It's been raining here on and off, and I have to, as always, commend the morons of LA and the San Fernando Valley for losing any semblance of driving coherence and sanity.  It's beyond believe, really.

Jane

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »

I went to Giant supermarket and Target.  When I got back home, the lights were on!  Then they went out.  Then they came back on and have been since about 4:15 or so.  No cable tv or internet though.   I'm using my phone as a "hotspot" right now.

Not surprising with those high winds.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »

Great public relations this morning for McDonald's restaurants.  I guess if you're homeless, you can't eat there...even if you pay for it.

Very sad.

:( >:(

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/03/01/video-homeless-man-kicked-out-mcdonalds-after-customer-buys-him-food-goes-viral.html

Well, there is this: ""At my restaurant, the goal is to provide our customers with a positive and welcoming experience each time they visit. Unfortunately, the individual in this video has a history of disruptive behavior and has been asked to leave by management and police on several occasions."

So the fellow had a history of coming in and being disruptive.  I believe Mr. Gallo knew exactly what was going to happen, I believe he was ready to film and then be antagonistic to get the cops there and I believe this was all about viral.  He got his wish.

I wondered about a back story with this.  When the kids were young, Craig about 4 or 5, we had an incident at a McDonald's in Los Angeles with an aggressive homeless person.  For a long time after that Craig was skittish around them.  The incident wasn't all that bad, it was just Craig was at an age where it was scary for him.

I had an incident I think I wrote about here with some psycho homeless guy - I certainly commiserate with homeless people who, because of circumstance, have ended up that way, but I don't commiserate with psychotic people who have ended up that way because - they're psychotic.  About three years ago at Du-Par's some psycho homeless who coincidentally looked JUST like the guy in this recent video, came in and started screaming at people.  I was up on my feet instantly, because there were kids there and I told him to get the "f" out or I would call the cops - he screamed a bunch of incoherent stuff but as soon as I lifted my phone to my ear he beat it.  The Du-par's hostess said he was in there often and they'd have to call the police, but that he'd always beat it.  My point is, someone could have filmed me telling him to get the "f" out with no context or history and that in today's asinine world would have gone viral and I'd be receiving death threats right about now.  If this jerk was in there and disruptive before, I have no problem with the manger telling him to get out, whether this one time he'd paid because he'd been given money, or not.

Very true about the little windows we see in videos.  I did laugh if you really used the F word when you were protecting children :)

Jane

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2018, 06:17:43 PM »

Knowing I did not want to be rushed for time when I read the notes I waited until now to do so.

Bruce, the song is beautiful as is your tribute to your dear friend  :(

Jane

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2018, 06:34:09 PM »

We received two DVDs from Netflix today, "Roman J. Israel, Esq." and "Maudie".

I think we will watch Israel, Esq first and save what I expect to be the better movie for tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »

I hope all of our east coasters check in.  Thanks to DR KEVIN for the weather report.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »

MR BK - faux outrage is in....some folks can't wait to find a situation they can put on social media to make themselves famous for a moment or two. 

Too many people fall for it and give them clicks which translates into money....they are laughing all the way to the bank.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2018, 07:11:02 PM »

Well, I finally get to go home.  I feel like I'm supposed to buy something at the store, but I don't know what it could be.  That's happened to me before, and I don't like it. :-\

Anyway, be back later. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »

Starting to watch a Bogdanovich movie called The Cat’s Meow about Hearst and Marion Davies, Charles Chaplin, Louella Parsons and more.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »

I was underwhelmed by that film DR JOHN G - or maybe I just imagined the people to be larger than life, and most of them are played by rather low wattage performers.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »

It’s only okay and I’m a half-hour into it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2018, 08:22:42 PM »

Lovely memorial to Harvey Schmidt , BK
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »

So we're having a Nor'easter and the wind is whistling around the house and rattling the Windows 

vixmom

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »

Lots of flooded roads on the way to work and a flooded basement when I got home

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2018, 08:25:18 PM »

Well not really flooded ,but water had crept in beyond the towel dams I had erected before leaving this morning

vixmom

« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »

I had to go fetch. Vixdad from the train so I threw down some more towels and hoped for  the best

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2018, 08:28:01 PM »

The reason I had to go fetch him was because three of the four lines from Penn Station Long Island were not running because of downed power poles,branches and lost signals

vixmom

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2018, 08:30:09 PM »

The train stations about 15 minutes away ,I gave myself 30.  An hour later I was still not there since every single human being on Long Island was either arriving at this train station or driving a car to pick up the arrivee

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »

Fortunately when I arrived at the train station I discovered Vixdad had not been standing in the rain waiting for me because he was trapped in a stalled train just outside the station

vixmom

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »

And even more fortunately a bunch of parking patrol police were there to turn chaos into a full blown disaster

vixmom

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »

Vixdad's train finally moved into the station and I finally collected him, but not before getting into a yelling match with one of the morons that was "directing" traffic

vixmom

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2018, 08:35:55 PM »

But we escaped , took a convoluted path home to avoid the hordes descending on the train station and retrieved his car from the station on one of then running lines

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up