Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: GUY AND DOLLS GO TO GUYS AND DOLLS AND A DELI  (Read 3570 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: GUY AND DOLLS GO TO GUYS AND DOLLS AND A DELI
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2018, 04:27:33 PM »

We got home in time for me to do the morning paper crossword and have a bite to eat before being picked up by my friend Sharon.  She and her husband have season tickets for Cincinnati’s Playhouse in the Park and he’s sick with bronchitis.  So I got to use his ticket for MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET, directed by Hunter Foster.  It was a fun afternoon and nice to catch up with Sharon - hadn’t seen her since before Christmas.

Hunter is Sutton Foster's brother and a very talented gentleman.  Before the overrated and overproduced Frank Wildhorn's flop Bonnie and Clyde, Hunter wrote a B&C musical that I caught at NYMF around 2007.  It was very good.

He’s a Michigan grad (as is his sister) and I think Becki and I saw him as Leo Bloom in THE PRODUCERS on Broadway.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »

My friend Jeffrey posted this on his FB page tonight:
Tonight, waiting for the F train by Bryant Park, a homeless kid, maybe late 20’s, and a little worse for wear, asked this couple sitting next to me, with several grocery bags from Whole Foods, if they could spare any food to eat.

The woman, maybe late-30’s, immediately said no, and rudely told him to get away and leave them alone.

Here is the fun part. She turned to me and said, “can you believe this. They need to lock these people up it’s their choice to be on the street. It shouldn’t be ours.”

Without missing a beat, I said, “I’ve actually been homeless for a year and a half. I sleep on the E train at night. I haven’t eaten in almost two days.”

To which she said, “ you don’t look like one of them. You look normal and clean.” I just shrugged and said I found the clothes I have on, and then looked like I was going to cry. And, I swear you can’t make this s**t up, she reached into her Whole Food bag and gave me chicken salad, a sandwich and something to drink. Then the mann with her proceeded to hand me a $10 bill.

I said, “Thank you. But you really shouldn’t judge people based on how they look or only help those who look like you.” Then I called the kid over and gave him the food and the $10.

The gall and inhumanity of people just astounds me.

You don’t want to someone, you don’t need to belittle them or treat them like they aren’t a human being. Say “no, I’m sorry.” Or if you can, buy them a sandwich. But to degrade them because they’re struggling is unnecessary, not to mention vile and appalling.

Frankly, I’d happily choose to spend time with many of the homeless folks I’ve come to know over some of those who consider themselves the right kind of people.

The men and women on the street or in shelters need compassion and empathy. At the very least they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Thank you for sharing this Elmore...Its been cold and raining all day...I have been wondering where our Friday night guests spent the day
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2018, 04:30:49 PM »

And now I have to decide, DRs, whether to attend the closing matinee today of ONCE which a couple of friends are involved in.  I never saw the movie or the stage version, and will be going in about as ignorant of it as is humanly possible.  And the theater’s an hour away.  Do I have the enthusiasm and energy for it today?  No.  But I think I need to take the opportunity.

ONCE was one of the most magical and moving musicals I have seen.  The film's nice, but the show was a lesson in how to adapt a movie to stage.

Is this the production in Northport at the Engeman?  My friend Douglas, who was in the reading of MOONSHINE & MISTLETOE at the York is in it.

Oh Elmore that is going on out here on Long Iskand... Do you think you could manage the LIRR out here if I get tickets to one of the Sunday matinees?

I would really love to see it with you, but I've got two complications:  two cats who love to be fed on time if possible and I'm too crippled to wander comfortably into unfamiliar territory.  You should go and give Douglas my best. It's such a wonderful show.

I will let you know if I go...I already saw it on Broadway so I may not ....

vixmom

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »

Thanks for sharing that story, Elmore.  I try to keep a few meals in plastic bags in the car to hand out on street corners. They usually have a bottle of water, some toiletries, a few cans of food that can be eaten cold, power bars and the like. About 10 years ago, I got the folks in the food pantry to make them up for all to distribute. I may have to start doing it myself as the interest has begun to wane.

I love that idea

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »

Tonight, waiting for the F train by Bryant Park, a homeless kid, maybe late 20’s, and a little worse for wear, asked this couple sitting next to me, with several grocery bags from Whole Foods, if they could spare any food to eat.

The woman, maybe late-30’s, immediately said no, and rudely told him to get away and leave them alone.

Here is the fun part. She turned to me and said, “can you believe this. They need to lock these people up it’s their choice to be on the street. It shouldn’t be ours.”

Without missing a beat, I said, “I’ve actually been homeless for a year and a half. I sleep on the E train at night. I haven’t eaten in almost two days.”

To which she said, “ you don’t look like one of them. You look normal and clean.” I just shrugged and said I found the clothes I have on, and then looked like I was going to cry. And, I swear you can’t make this s**t up, she reached into her Whole Food bag and gave me chicken salad, a sandwich and something to drink. Then the mann with her proceeded to hand me a $10 bill.

I said, “Thank you. But you really shouldn’t judge people based on how they look or only help those who look like you.” Then I called the kid over and gave him the food and the $10.

You don’t want to someone, you don’t need to belittle them or treat them like they aren’t a human being. Say “no, I’m sorry.” Or if you can, buy them a sandwich. But to degrade them because they’re struggling is unnecessary, not to mention vile and appalling.

Frankly, I’d happily choose to spend time with many of the homeless folks I’ve come to know over some of those who consider themselves the right kind of people.

The men and women on the street or in shelters need compassion and empathy. At the very least they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Thank you for sharing this Elmore...Its been cold and raining all day...I have been wondering where our Friday night guests spent the day

At the public library.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »

At the public library.

There's even a Spencer, IA homeless man befriended by Dewey the Library Cat.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »

Annabelle has been booked for a Feb. 20 session with Dr Mohr.  She will have otoscopic and oral exams to check for polyps.  I will drop her off by 9:00 and pick her up when it's over.  I hope it's not dreadful, like Thatch's dropoff day.

Vibes for Annabelle, and you.

I worry about it.  The last time I dropped off a cat, I was told he would die of heart disease.

Vibes this diagnosis is much better.  If there are polyps will they be removed while Annabelle is already sedated?

Jane

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2018, 06:01:49 PM »

Magnificat just asked for my phone number; they will call me tomorrow about picking up the food.  It's about 75-90 cans of cat food.  I hope it helps them out.

Wow, that is a lot of cat food they wouldn't eat.  I think it is great it will be picked up from you.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »

Sunday evening greetings!  I have been E & T today for a couple of delightful reasons.  Richard and I attended niece Rev. Amy’s church this morning for Scout Sunday.  Her husband is assistant Scoutmaster and both sons are Scouts.  They all were pleased to see us, especially Uncle Richard in uniform.  We also got to visit with Lauren and her family, as they were arriving for second service as we were leaving the first.

It sounds delightful.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »

Watching the Olympics - the ending of the team ice skating event....USA is in third place, and it will likely stay there - which is okay.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »

We went for a walk this morning then out to lunch with friends.  After lunch we went to the old Kiggins Theater to watch the 8 Oscar nominated shorts.  I have two favorites, "Negative Space" and "Lou".

Jane

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2018, 06:11:57 PM »

After the movie we went out for ice cream.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »

Once home we went for a walk.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2018, 06:14:25 PM »

There was a scout color guard at the funeral I attended today. Phil had been scoutmaster and rescued a dying troop from folding.

I will have to google for a video of a scout color guard.  It sounds moving.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »

Annabelle has been booked for a Feb. 20 session with Dr Mohr.  She will have otoscopic and oral exams to check for polyps.  I will drop her off by 9:00 and pick her up when it's over.  I hope it's not dreadful, like Thatch's dropoff day.

Vibes for Annabelle, and you.

I worry about it.  The last time I dropped off a cat, I was told he would die of heart disease.

Vibes this diagnosis is much better.  If there are polyps will they be removed while Annabelle is already sedated?

I think so.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2018, 06:33:55 PM »

Good evening!

KevinH

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2018, 06:34:22 PM »

Page 3?

KevinH

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2018, 06:36:22 PM »

I went to dinner with friends to Uno Pizzeria.   I had the thin crust pizza.   I used to love the deep dish "spinoccoli" pizza but haven't had deep dish in quite a while.

KevinH

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »

After torrential rain this morning and afternoon, the temp went to the high 60's today.  Too warm for February!

KevinH

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2018, 06:38:18 PM »

Sorry to hear about Jan Maxwell.  I thought she was very good in Follies.

KevinH

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2018, 06:40:06 PM »

I'm enjoying the Levi CD.  I'm so glad I was able to see the show (twice).

KevinH

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »

Vibes for TCB!

KevinH

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2018, 06:41:21 PM »

Vibes for DR elmore and Annabelle!

KevinH

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »

A few days ago I looked on the Kennedy Center website for tickets for "Chess," which will be playing only a few days.  It said "sold out."    Yesterday I checked and there were lots of tickets.  I'm glad I didn't give up.  I have a nice ticket for next Sunday's matinee.   Raul Esparza, Ramin Karimloo, Bryce Pinkham, Karen Olivo and Ruthie Ann Miles star.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »

I went to dinner with friends to Uno Pizzeria.   I had the thin crust pizza.   I used to love the deep dish "spinoccoli" pizza but haven't had deep dish in quite a while.

When we ate at their restaurants, years ago, I don't think they even had a thin crust pizza. 

Jane

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »

After torrential rain this morning and afternoon, the temp went to the high 60's today.  Too warm for February!

It sounds good to me.

vixmom

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »

I am sorry to hear about Jan Maxwell

vixmom

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »