Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: GUY AND DOLLS GO TO GUYS AND DOLLS AND A DELI  (Read 3885 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: GUY AND DOLLS GO TO GUYS AND DOLLS AND A DELI
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 09:07:01 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »

So...it’s the first community theatre production in the country, at the beautiful Warner (note to vixmom:  Ragtime), and it’s in the hands of a couple of our better director/music directors.  The talent looks great and I’m in on a cast discount, so I guess it’s a no-brainer.  This thing had flown under my radar, but I’ve got a very busy week ahead and I think I’d best get my ASS up there.

Yes you should go and with a little more notice I would have invited myself along!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »

Chili cook off vibes for JohnG...may your judges know the difference between chili and chicken stew

vixmom

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 09:11:36 AM »

Bitter? Me?

vixmom

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »

And now I have to decide, DRs, whether to attend the closing matinee today of ONCE which a couple of friends are involved in.  I never saw the movie or the stage version, and will be going in about as ignorant of it as is humanly possible.  And the theater’s an hour away.  Do I have the enthusiasm and energy for it today?  No.  But I think I need to take the opportunity.

ONCE was one of the most magical and moving musicals I have seen.  The film's nice, but the show was a lesson in how to adapt a movie to stage.

Is this the production in Northport at the Engeman?  My friend Douglas, who was in the reading of MOONSHINE & MISTLETOE at the York is in it.

Oh Elmore that is going on out here on Long Iskand... Do you think you could manage the LIRR out here if I get tickets to one of the Sunday matinees?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:17:54 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 09:14:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: BERCEUSE!

Berceuse me, what did you say?

vixmom

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 09:15:58 AM »

I am watching The Seven Samurai.....it is a very good movie.

We love this, I bought the DVD fir Vixdad a few years go...we should pull it out again

vixmom

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »

Bruce might you approach this talented student in the show last night to work in one of your shows?

I was just going to ask that question

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 09:21:40 AM »

And now I have to decide, DRs, whether to attend the closing matinee today of ONCE which a couple of friends are involved in.  I never saw the movie or the stage version, and will be going in about as ignorant of it as is humanly possible.  And the theater’s an hour away.  Do I have the enthusiasm and energy for it today?  No.  But I think I need to take the opportunity.

ONCE was one of the most magical and moving musicals I have seen.  The film's nice, but the show was a lesson in how to adapt a movie to stage.

Is this the production in Northport at the Engeman?  My friend Douglas, who was in the reading of MOONSHINE & MISTLETOE at the York is in it.

Oh Elmore that is going on out here on Long Iskand... Do you think you could manage the LIRR out here if I get tickets to one of the Sunday matinees?

I would really love to see it with you, but I've got two complications:  two cats who love to be fed on time if possible and I'm too crippled to wander comfortably into unfamiliar territory.  You should go and give Douglas my best. It's such a wonderful show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: BERCEUSE!

Berceuse me, what did you say?

LOL!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »

I've offered the ton of cat food Annabelle and Thatch refuse to eat to several rescue groups and Magnificat Cat Rescue is the only group to respond so far.

John G.

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »

I have a new addiction: frozen cold-pressed coffee bars. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »

Annabelle has been booked for a Feb. 20 session with Dr Mohr.  She will have otoscopic and oral exams to check for polyps.  I will drop her off by 9:00 and pick her up when it's over.  I hope it's not dreadful, like Thatch's dropoff day.

This morning, I gave him and Annabelle some bits of Virginia ham, which he loves.  I had given him a piece, which he gobbled up, and then he jumped on my hand to steal the piece Annabelle was just about to take from me.  To make Annabelle happy, we did two strolls to the fourth floor this morning.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:04:39 PM by elmore3003 »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »

Chili cook off vibes for JohnG...may your judges know the difference between chili and chicken stew

:o  Is that what you lost to?

Jane

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »

Bitter? Me?

;D

I understand why now that you mention what you lost to.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »

Annabelle has been booked for a Feb. 20 session with Dr Mohr.  She will have otoscopic and oral exams to check for polyps.  OI will drop her off by 9:00 and pick her up when it's over.  I hope it's not dreadful, like Thatch's dropoff day.

Vibes for Annabelle, and you.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 11:32:51 AM »

This morning, I gave him and Annabelle some bits of Virginia ham, which he loves.  I had given him a piece, which he gobbled up, and then he jumped on my hand to steal the piece Annabelle was just about to take from me.  To make Annabelle happy, we did two strolls to the fourth floor this morning.

:D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - nine hours of sleep.  I needed it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 02:04:27 PM »

Annabelle has been booked for a Feb. 20 session with Dr Mohr.  She will have otoscopic and oral exams to check for polyps.  I will drop her off by 9:00 and pick her up when it's over.  I hope it's not dreadful, like Thatch's dropoff day.

Vibes for Annabelle, and you.

I worry about it.  The last time I dropped off a cat, I was told he would die of heart disease.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »

Magnificat just asked for my phone number; they will call me tomorrow about picking up the food.  It's about 75-90 cans of cat food.  I hope it helps them out.

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 03:28:31 PM »

Sunday evening greetings!  I have been E & T today for a couple of delightful reasons.  Richard and I attended niece Rev. Amy’s church this morning for Scout Sunday.  Her husband is assistant Scoutmaster and both sons are Scouts.  They all were pleased to see us, especially Uncle Richard in uniform.  We also got to visit with Lauren and her family, as they were arriving for second service as we were leaving the first.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »

We got home in time for me to do the morning paper crossword and have a bite to eat before being picked up by my friend Sharon.  She and her husband have season tickets for Cincinnati’s Playhouse in the Park and he’s sick with bronchitis.  So I got to use his ticket for MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET, directed by Hunter Foster.  It was a fun afternoon and nice to catch up with Sharon - hadn’t seen her since before Christmas.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »

We got home in time for me to do the morning paper crossword and have a bite to eat before being picked up by my friend Sharon.  She and her husband have season tickets for Cincinnati’s Playhouse in the Park and he’s sick with bronchitis.  So I got to use his ticket for MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET, directed by Hunter Foster.  It was a fun afternoon and nice to catch up with Sharon - hadn’t seen her since before Christmas.

Hunter is Sutton Foster's brother and a very talented gentleman.  Before the overrated and overproduced Frank Wildhorn's flop Bonnie and Clyde, Hunter wrote a B&C musical that I caught at NYMF around 2007.  It was very good.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »

My friend Jeffrey posted this on his FB page tonight:
Tonight, waiting for the F train by Bryant Park, a homeless kid, maybe late 20’s, and a little worse for wear, asked this couple sitting next to me, with several grocery bags from Whole Foods, if they could spare any food to eat.

The woman, maybe late-30’s, immediately said no, and rudely told him to get away and leave them alone.

Here is the fun part. She turned to me and said, “can you believe this. They need to lock these people up it’s their choice to be on the street. It shouldn’t be ours.”

Without missing a beat, I said, “I’ve actually been homeless for a year and a half. I sleep on the E train at night. I haven’t eaten in almost two days.”

To which she said, “ you don’t look like one of them. You look normal and clean.” I just shrugged and said I found the clothes I have on, and then looked like I was going to cry. And, I swear you can’t make this s**t up, she reached into her Whole Food bag and gave me chicken salad, a sandwich and something to drink. Then the mann with her proceeded to hand me a $10 bill.

I said, “Thank you. But you really shouldn’t judge people based on how they look or only help those who look like you.” Then I called the kid over and gave him the food and the $10.

The gall and inhumanity of people just astounds me.

You don’t want to someone, you don’t need to belittle them or treat them like they aren’t a human being. Say “no, I’m sorry.” Or if you can, buy them a sandwich. But to degrade them because they’re struggling is unnecessary, not to mention vile and appalling.

Frankly, I’d happily choose to spend time with many of the homeless folks I’ve come to know over some of those who consider themselves the right kind of people.

The men and women on the street or in shelters need compassion and empathy. At the very least they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

John G.

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 04:15:01 PM »

There was a scout color guard at the funeral I attended today. Phil had been scoutmaster and rescued a dying troop from folding.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »

Hunter Foster wrote a very nice version of Summer of ‘42.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 04:20:01 PM »

Thanks for sharing that story, Elmore.  I try to keep a few meals in plastic bags in the car to hand out on street corners. They usually have a bottle of water, some toiletries, a few cans of food that can be eaten cold, power bars and the like. About 10 years ago, I got the folks in the food pantry to make them up for all to distribute. I may have to start doing it myself as the interest has begun to wane.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »

:o  Is that what you lost to?

It was billed as chicken chili...WITH CARROTS?  it was a chicken stew I to which some chili peppers were added

John G.

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »

We lost the chili cook-off. daughter-father entries took first and second respectively.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »

Stage actress Jan Maxwell died.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up