Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELL-O-NOTES  (Read 31750 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SMELL-O-NOTES
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2004, 01:49:53 PM »

Good Afternoon!

My Dad is indeed home from the hospital!  He and my Mom apparently came in while I was zonked out for a few minutes.  -I was thinking of taking a nap earlier, and I guess I went ahead and followed through on that thought.  -I just didn't know it.

Apparently, they would have been home a few minutes earlier, but my mom could not remember where she had parked her car, so...  My Dad was stuck waiting in the lobby for a couple of minutes while my Mom was searching for her car.  ;)

And my father is also slightly annoyed - but in a very humorous way - about one of the side effects of his surgery.  It makes me laugh too.  I'd share, but it's way too personal to share.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2004, 01:52:35 PM »

I just read that Sidney Lumet will be given a lifetime achievement Oscar at the ceremony this year. Can't think of any non-winning living director more deserving. I just love TWELVE ANGRY MEN, NETWORK, DOG DAY AFTERNOON, THE VERDICT, to name just a few.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2004, 01:54:36 PM »

Picked up LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING today. Looking at the calendar, I don't see an available amount of time until possibly Sunday to settle back and enjoy this epic again (with 50 additional minutes), but I hope to get to it soon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2004, 02:07:03 PM »

Anybody see KING ARTHUR  -  coming to DVD on Tuesday?

Thanks for the additional MM DVD info - it's looking better and better.

Chicken soup recipe?  Open can - pour into pan - heat - serve.

Irene Sharaff ALWAYS designed those terrible dresses that had - I don't know what you call it - but I guess a dropped waist or something....fitted at the anatomical waist and then flared out further down....very unflattering, especially to Judy Garland in the BORN IN A TRUNK number - and most other films Irene Sharaff worked on.

Oh....and I almost forgot Jean Louis - who made Kim Novak look so beautiful especially in BELL BOOK AND CANDLE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2004, 02:07:21 PM »

Picked up LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING today. Looking at the calendar, I don't see an available amount of time until possibly Sunday to settle back and enjoy this epic again (with 50 additional minutes), but I hope to get to it soon.

I ordered this online and I received it today but drat it all , its a Christmas prezzie for DH, so I have to look longingly at the cover for the next ten days.....at least I know what we'll be doing as soon as the wrapping paper is cleared away!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2004, 02:10:39 PM »

I ordered this online and I received it today but drat it all , its a Christmas prezzie for DH, so I have to look longingly at the cover for the next ten days.....at least I know what we'll be doing as soon as the wrapping paper is cleared away!!!

:-[ oh lordy, I just reread that... fifteen years ago I would have have been looking  forward to something entirely different than a four + hour movie..and the paper wouldn't have been cleared away either!! ;)

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2004, 02:12:35 PM »

Well I must leave the office now so off I go, until the computer ban is lifted at home.  Lots of catching up in the morning!!

Jose, I'm glad your dad is home and sharing a laugh!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2004, 02:22:46 PM »

JRand54, I've seen KING ARTHUR.  Very disappointing.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2004, 02:23:30 PM »

Correction:  KING ARTHUR...does have one very spectacular battle on the ice that makes it worth a rental.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2004, 02:35:36 PM »

Jean Louis won a couple of Oscars (one for THE SOLID GOLD CADILLAC, of all things) and seems to have been Marlene Dietrich's favorite designer. Doris Day looked good in his creations, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2004, 02:35:40 PM »

Thanks DRCP....battle on the ice....hmmmm....Eisenstein, anyone?

Rental it is.  

DRJOSE great news about your father.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2004, 02:36:29 PM »

Jean also created Joan Crawford's QUEEN BEE look!  How about a reversible mink coat?  Brown fur on the outside, white fur on the inside....

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2004, 02:39:26 PM »

Those dropped waist dresses like Judy wore in A STAR IS BORN, I think those were done because she was so short waisted with an "ample" bosom. It was done to give her a longer line and more of a figure.

Sharaff certainly could design other styles as witnessed by her beautiful period clothes in THE KING AND I, Taylor's modern outfits in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF, and the ballet clothes for AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. Sharaff won Oscars for all of those, a total of five in her career.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2004, 03:16:55 PM »

I don't like the idea of leeky chicken soup.

Back from errands - sent off draft two of the script, and picked up my amazon Germany package, a DVD which I shall watch at some point today.  It's the German DVD of Dial M For Murder.  Unlike the region 1 DVD, it's in widescreen.  There is some controversy about this, but I thought it would be fun to compare it with the full-frame version.  This film has only ever been released in the Academy ratio - and yet it was filmed in 1953, just prior to Cinemascope and 1:85 being introduced (in 1954).  I am told that all directors were told to film their movies so they could be projected in 1:85 as well as 1:33.  Certainly if Rear Window can be widescreen, so can Dial M, since they were both shot in 1953 and released in 1954.  I saw some screen caps of the 1:85 Dial M, and I must say the framing looked better to me - not so much head room.  Looking forward to viewing the disc.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »

Ciao for niao!

-Back after the show...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2004, 03:26:58 PM »

my ask BK question:

On the hidden track what is the song that is played with all the compression being used?
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2004, 03:43:48 PM »

Is it a rock song?  If so, it's by the assistant engineer's band.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2004, 03:47:05 PM »

The father of a friend of mine died following a long illness. The funeral was yesterday. The family is Lebanese, and the service was held at a huge (and packed) Eastern Orthodox church. There was a full mass, followed by five speakers - my friend (one of five children), two grandchildren, and two friends. Nobody talked about the man's material accomplishments - only about his place as a father, grandfather, and friend. At the end of the service, the singer Billy Newton-Davis sang a spiritual, then Ave Maria. We then went to the cemetery - it was bitter cold - and afterward to a full Lebanese lunch, where it was nice to get to know other friends of the family.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2004, 03:47:32 PM »

Good afternoon all

I have a vibes request...this one being for myself.  
A few weeks ago I went in for a routine exam, and the nurse practicioner noticed something was awry down in female-part-land.  Yesterday I went in for an ultrasound, and they discovered a very large cyst in my right ovary.  ( Apologies if this is too much info for some dear readers.)  Anyway, the NP called me today and informed me I need to come in right away, i.e. tomorrow at 9 am, for bloodwork to attempt to rule out cancer.  I say attempt to rule out because she admitted that it's not a fool-proof method.  Was this comforting?  No, no I think not.  Then she's transferring me to one of the actual doctors for an internal exam on the 27th.   Apparently they put me to sleep and go in via the belly button...yikes.  So needless to say, this is a little frightening.  Although the chance of cancer is remote, it exists...and one way or the other, it means going in there to remove something, and possibly taking my right ovary with it...not something I'd look forward to.  So I'm little nervous...and any vibes tomorrow at 9 am PST would be much appreciated!     :-\

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2004, 03:55:25 PM »

EXCELLENT VIBES TO DR ANN!

And if it makes you feel any less apprehensive, cysts on ovaries are relatively common. Even large cysts.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2004, 03:56:03 PM »

Good news about your dad, Jose!

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2004, 03:58:40 PM »

Best of vibes to you DR Ann!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]   :)  :) :)  :)   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)   :)  :)  :)  :)      [/move]                

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2004, 03:59:59 PM »

GOOD HEALTH vibes to DR Ann!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2004, 04:02:16 PM »

DR Ann,

Three sets in 12 minutes! Now THOSE are good vibes!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2004, 04:04:28 PM »

And if it makes you feel any less apprehensive, cysts on ovaries are relatively common. Even large cysts.

Thanks DR Panni.  This is true...which is why yesterday I wasn't that worried about it.  But the RN seemed to be telling me today "Well, it's a cyst...but it's not the usual kind...we're not exactly sure WHAT kind it is.."  Wise words from the medical profession...and words I'm all too familiar with.  I have a long history of confusing the hell out of doctors :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2004, 04:26:44 PM »

Don't like nurses and/or doctors.  Excellent vibes and xylophones to dear reader Ann!

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2004, 04:27:28 PM »

The best of thoughts to you DR Ann.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2004, 04:29:41 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

*******GOOD VIBES TO DR ANN!!!!******[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2004, 04:50:40 PM »

Evening all!

It is a F for the record but it doesn’t matter if it’s a F or C, it’s COLD!    :D

Vibes to DR Ann.  I completely understand what you are going through.  Part of what had me upset with my kidney stones was all of the tests and  the Doctor that kept telling me, “Well, it’s not cancer.” Pardon me.  Did I ask if it was cancer?  I think not. It wasn’t even on my mind.  

He was the one that said it so many times, I burst into tears when I called my mom from the car to let her know what the outcome was.  I felt like he was looking for it/expecting it to BE cancer and was somehow disappointed that it wasn’t.  

They just seem to have a way of scaring you for no reason.  

Good vibes also to DR Jose’s Dad for a quick and speedy recovery.  I’m glad things went ok for him in the hospital.  

Chicken Soup

Makes 6 servings

2 chicken breasts                                              
4 tablespoons chicken bouillon                                  
2 cups carrot                                                  
dill salt and pepper                                            
1 onion quartered                                              
1 1/2 cups celery                                              

Rinse chicken under cold water.  Place in large soup pot and cover with water (to make as much soup as you want).  Bring to a boil.  As it first starts to boil foam rises to the top.  Skim off the foam with a spoon.  Discard foam and add bouillon, onion quartered, carrots, dill salt and pepper, and celery.  Cook until chicken and vegetables are tender.  Debone the chicken.  Serve with noodles or rice.

Good vibes to VixMom for her cold.  

Hate to post and run but they are rerunning the first episode of LOST that I missed.

Have a good evening all!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2004, 04:59:14 PM »

Evening all!

It is a F for the record but it doesn’t matter if it’s a F or C, it’s COLD!    :D

Danise, either way it's F'ing Cold! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up