Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: COGNITIVE DISSONANCE  (Read 2851 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: COGNITIVE DISSONANCE
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »

DR George that is a fantastic photo.  I think you should make it your avatar until the show is over.

Thanks, Jane!  I just might do that. ;D

I am excited to see you did it.

I am about to see if we can get up your way and see a couple of plays back to back ;)

That would be great!  However, if you do, I would recommend buying your tickets online...especially if you might come up during our last weekend.  Those days tend to fill up, even though we need people to come the first weekend more:

https://www.artful.ly/store/events/10657

I am about to purchase them for this Saturday night, and then for Tom's matinee on Sunday.  It doesn't show a seat.  Do you just sit anywhere?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2016, 06:06:18 PM »

And to bed.  i just watched the movie Stoned, about the death of Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones.  Paddy Considine played Frank Thorogood, who confessed to killing Jones.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2016, 06:58:21 PM »

DR George that is a fantastic photo.  I think you should make it your avatar until the show is over.

Thanks, Jane!  I just might do that. ;D

I am excited to see you did it.

I am about to see if we can get up your way and see a couple of plays back to back ;)

That would be great!  However, if you do, I would recommend buying your tickets online...especially if you might come up during our last weekend.  Those days tend to fill up, even though we need people to come the first weekend more:

https://www.artful.ly/store/events/10657

I am about to purchase them for this Saturday night, and then for Tom's matinee on Sunday.  It doesn't show a seat.  Do you just sit anywhere?

Yes.  It's general admission or festival seating.  The door opens at 7:30, so you'll want to get there by 7:45 at the latest to get a good seat...unless we haven't sold (m)any tickets.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »

And now, I'm off.  I should be at rehearsal at 7:00, and it takes me about 10 minutes to get there, but I'm not on in the first act, so it's not a great concern. ;)

Be back later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2016, 06:59:35 PM »

The site isn't selling me tickets.  I can get as far as putting them into my cart, and then it says my cart is empty.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »

I will try again tomorrow.

Jennifer

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2016, 07:22:05 PM »

DR George - great picture!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2016, 07:32:11 PM »

Vibes for JRands nephew
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2016, 07:32:30 PM »

Vibes for TCB nephew

vixmom

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2016, 07:33:29 PM »

I am glad Elmores check arrived... Sorry about the larrylarrylarrylarry guy

vixmom

« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »

Eye vibes for Ginny

vixmom

« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2016, 07:34:57 PM »

I had two wakes to go to tonight

vixmom

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

A long time member of my church who was recently widowed  and a woman I worked With for 15 years in my old job .. She was only 8 years older  than me... Lung cancer..never smoked a day in her life

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2016, 07:48:26 PM »

I toughed it out and finished Manchester by the Sea - what a dreary movie and then it just stops.  137 minutes of dreary equals a director/writer in love with every shot and word of his film.  I don't know Kenneth Lonergan's work aside from This Is Our Youth, which I don't like - the actors are all fine in that low-key tragic way, and I know everyone thinks this is going to be up for a lot of Oscars, but not for me, I'm afraid.  When the big reveal happens, all seven minutes of it is scored with the Albinoni Adagio, which I thought had been retired from use in movies along with the Barber adagio.  There's a composer credited who appears to have written one piece of music for voices, but since the rest of the film is basically "scored" with Handel and Albinoni, well, I'm not sure I would even credit a person with the score of a movie who wrote one piece of music that's no more important than the classical bits.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2016, 08:16:38 PM »

DR George, that's a great photo of you in costume.

Thanks, Larry!

I missed your milestone, George. Congratulations!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »

Tracked down a copy of "Bart! The Songs of Bart Howard," which was released by Painted Smiles. I thought it might have been a Ben Bagley release. It wasn't, but it will still be a introduction to the man who wrote "Fly Me to the Moon," or "In Other Words," which is a favorite of mine.

I got to chat with Bart Howard's sister (though she was under the weather at the time and at taht point) when my "Fly Me in the Nude" parody track looked like it was going to catch on and I was trying to see if I could get "official" performance permissions for it, despite it being a parody.   She was a lovely lady and sounded very proud of her brother. 

Nice story, Fred.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2016, 08:21:02 PM »

Remember I said I was going yesterday for my annual eye exam?  Well, the upshot is that I'm scheduled for 2 cataract surgeries - right eye on December 29, left January 5.

I am not amused...

The last time that I went to the eye doctor, I was told that I have the beginnings of a cataract (I don't remember if it was in one eye or both).  But I guess it's pretty slow growing, so it's nothing to worry about yet.

I have received the same diagnosis.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »

I toughed it out and finished Manchester by the Sea - what a dreary movie and then it just stops.  137 minutes of dreary equals a director/writer in love with every shot and word of his film.  I don't know Kenneth Lonergan's work aside from This Is Our Youth, which I don't like - the actors are all fine in that low-key tragic way, and I know everyone thinks this is going to be up for a lot of Oscars, but not for me, I'm afraid.  When the big reveal happens, all seven minutes of it is scored with the Albinoni Adagio, which I thought had been retired from use in movies along with the Barber adagio.  There's a composer credited who appears to have written one piece of music for voices, but since the rest of the film is basically "scored" with Handel and Albinoni, well, I'm not sure I would even credit a person with the score of a movie who wrote one piece of music that's no more important than the classical bits.

The "everybody" group said the same of Lonergan's last movie, Margaret. I watched it but don't remember a thing about it. I sort of felt the same way you did. Well acted, but so what?
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »

The critics are unanimous - not a bum review anywhere for Manchester by the Sea, but they love their little art films, and several of them talk about Lonergan and his previous film Margaret, that they seemed to have gone in knowing they would LOVE this film.  I mean, every single critic.

John G.

« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2016, 08:27:47 PM »

Watching the first episode of A Place to Call Home. I don't need another addiction at this time. And I'm afraid this is going to be addicting.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »

LarryLarryLarryLarry.

LarryLarryLarryLarry.

LarryLarryLarryLarry.

LarryLarryLarryLarry.
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2016, 08:34:29 PM »

This is on the turntable at the moment

Jane

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2016, 08:43:16 PM »

A long time member of my church who was recently widowed  and a woman I worked With for 15 years in my old job .. She was only 8 years older  than me... Lung cancer..never smoked a day in her life

I am sorry :(

Jane

« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »

Watching the first episode of A Place to Call Home. I don't need another addiction at this time. And I'm afraid this is going to be addicting.

Keith said to tell you it gets worse, meaning the obsession, not the show.

John G.

« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2016, 08:56:52 PM »

Keith said to tell you it gets worse, meaning the obsession, not the show.

Yes, I think it will. I'm deep in episode two already. And I should be in bed.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2016, 08:58:32 PM »

The critics are unanimous - not a bum review anywhere for Manchester by the Sea, but they love their little art films, and several of them talk about Lonergan and his previous film Margaret, that they seemed to have gone in knowing they would LOVE this film.  I mean, every single critic.

And yet Margaret didn't get a single Academy Award nomination, as I recall.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2016, 08:58:42 PM »

George I meant to mention how much I like your picture , great costume and you look great!

vixmom

« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2016, 08:59:13 PM »

And congratulations on your millstone

John G.

« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »

But this raises doubt:

‘Manchester by the Sea’ Named Best Film of the Year by National Board of Review

29 November 2016 10:47 AM, PST | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

“Manchester by the Sea,” a critically adored drama about a grieving janitor, was named best film of the year by the National Board of Review on Tuesday.

The film, a breakout hit at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, also earned a best actor award for Casey Affleck’s performance and original screenplay honors for Kenneth Lonergan, its writer and director. “Manchester” is a comeback for Lonergan, whose reputation had been bruised after his previous film, “Margaret,” became mired in lawsuits.

The National Board of Review is voted on by a mixture of academics, cinephiles, and film professionals. “Manchester by the Sea” has earned some of the year’s best reviews and is expected to dominate year-end awards. However, the group has a spotty track record as a predictor of future Oscar glory. Last year, for instance, it named “Mad Max: Fury Road” as the year’s best film, but »

- Brent Lang
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2016, 09:04:47 PM »

Grant Tinker has died at age 90.

So many hours spent watching his great shows: " ... the ground-breaking The Mary Tyler Moore Show, starring Moore, Rhoda, The Bob Newhart Show, Wkrp in Cincinnati, Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere."
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up