Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: COGNITIVE DISSONANCE  (Read 2852 times)

FJL

Re: COGNITIVE DISSONANCE
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2016, 04:11:50 PM »

Tracked down a copy of "Bart! The Songs of Bart Howard," which was released by Painted Smiles. I thought it might have been a Ben Bagley release. It wasn't, but it will still be a introduction to the man who wrote "Fly Me to the Moon," or "In Other Words," which is a favorite of mine.

I got to chat with Bart Howard's sister (though she was under the weather at the time and at taht point) when my "Fly Me in the Nude" parody track looked like it was going to catch on and I was trying to see if I could get "official" performance permissions for it, despite it being a parody.   She was a lovely lady and sounded very proud of her brother. 

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2016, 04:15:35 PM »

I'm ready to knock off work and go home now.

Only 18 minutes to go.

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »

DR George, that's a great photo of you in costume.

Thanks, Larry!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »

What a great in-costume photo of George in last night's posts!

Thanks, Fred!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »

George

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »

DR GEORGE that is a great photo.....I like that they used the "Lucy lens" on you to make you look younger and softer....very becoming.

Thanks, Jrand!  But, "they" didn't use any kind of lens. ::) It's a selfie that I took with my very own phone camera held away from my face by my very own arm. :)

George

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2016, 04:21:55 PM »

DR George that is a fantastic photo.  I think you should make it your avatar until the show is over.

Thanks, Jane!  I just might do that. ;D

George

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VDinoNRC49c

A short Wes Anderson Christmas film.

Fun!  Thanks for sharing, John. :)

George

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »

Thanks to all for the continued vibes for Trent....he is doing well....the human body is an amazing thing to be sure....as is modern medicine.

Great news, Jrand!!

George

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2016, 04:24:32 PM »

Remember I said I was going yesterday for my annual eye exam?  Well, the upshot is that I'm scheduled for 2 cataract surgeries - right eye on December 29, left January 5.

I am not amused...

The last time that I went to the eye doctor, I was told that I have the beginnings of a cataract (I don't remember if it was in one eye or both).  But I guess it's pretty slow growing, so it's nothing to worry about yet.

George

« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »

Gratuitous Post #100!

ChasSmith

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »

Mine have been in "the beginnings of" stage for several years.  I think that in view of what DR Ginny found with hers, that this next spring when my eye exam comes due again, I'll make sure this is thoroughly addressed.

ChasSmith

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »

I'm glad that check finally made its way to DR Elmore's abode okay, but the LarryLarryLarryLarry bit is pretty unsettling.

George

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »

TA DA!! :D

George

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »

And here it is!

;D

FJL

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2016, 04:40:55 PM »

George - 60,000 - Now that's a round number!

Congrats!  And on the new avatar, too!

ChasSmith

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

That is one HELL of a fine millstone, sir.

George

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »

Thanks Fred and ChasSmith!

George

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2016, 04:49:30 PM »

And here I am beside myself:

[although slightly enlarged]

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2016, 05:03:18 PM »

I haven't gotten this damned White Castle / West Castle thing out of my mind all morning.    :)

;D

FJL

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »

Obituary for the creator of the Big Mac, Jim Delligatti, who died at 98

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/30/503911060/creator-of-mcdonalds-big-mac-dies-at-98

Jane

« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2016, 05:06:36 PM »

Remember I said I was going yesterday for my annual eye exam?  Well, the upshot is that I'm scheduled for 2 cataract surgeries - right eye on December 29, left January 5.

I am not amused...

Was this a surprise to you?

Jane

« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about your eye problems, Ginny.

Thanks, DR FJL.  The doctor had told me a year ago that I had the beginnings of cataracts, but I was not expecting to hear this soon that it's time to address them.  Just glad we got Richard's eyes straightened out before mine needed attention.

This answers my question.  That is fast.  Keith's progressed quickly.  He could have waited longer for the surgery but his vision kept changing which was annoying and expensive.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »

DR Ginny, sorry to hear the eye surgeries have to be sooner than you would have liked. 

(I expected that shoe to drop at my eye exam this year, and it didn't quite do that yet.)

But isn't this kind of an elective thing, to some extent?  Or is it at a point that would make a delay too critical for things like safe driving?

Yes, DR ChasSmith, there's a degree to which this is elective, but delaying too long can cause permanent damage.  My major complaint yesterday was about night driving.  For a while, too, I've had an off an on "filmy" sensation in my right eye while driving in the daytime and while reading.

And I have to admit that the uncertainty surrounding the future of Medicare is influencing my timetable a bit.

So you weren't really clueless. 

I was surprised to find my cataracts are still in the beginning period.  Having switched doctors I don't know if there has been any progression or not.  I do not notice that film people talk about.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »

At 5:05 the check arrived via a rather scary messenger, who was either drunk, stoned or deranged.  I was rather frightened of him.

Oh my.  You are lucky he delivered the check.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »

CONTRACT VIBES FOR DR ELMORE!!!

Jane

« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2016, 05:19:23 PM »

DR George that is a fantastic photo.  I think you should make it your avatar until the show is over.

I am excited to see you did it.

I am about to see if we can get up your way and see a couple of plays back to back ;)

George

« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »

I am excited to see you did it.

I am about to see if we can get up your way and see a couple of plays back to back ;)

That would be great!  However, if you do, I would recommend buying your tickets online...especially if you might come up during our last weekend.  Those days tend to fill up, even though we need people to come the first weekend more:

https://www.artful.ly/store/events/10657
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:25:52 PM by George »

Ginny

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2016, 05:24:46 PM »

DR Ginny, sorry to hear the eye surgeries have to be sooner than you would have liked. 

(I expected that shoe to drop at my eye exam this year, and it didn't quite do that yet.)

But isn't this kind of an elective thing, to some extent?  Or is it at a point that would make a delay too critical for things like safe driving?

Yes, DR ChasSmith, there's a degree to which this is elective, but delaying too long can cause permanent damage.  My major complaint yesterday was about night driving.  For a while, too, I've had an off an on "filmy" sensation in my right eye while driving in the daytime and while reading.

And I have to admit that the uncertainty surrounding the future of Medicare is influencing my timetable a bit.

So you weren't really clueless. 

I was surprised to find my cataracts are still in the beginning period.  Having switched doctors I don't know if there has been any progression or not.  I do not notice that film people talk about.

No, DR Jane, I really wasn't surprised, but hoped I'd have another few years before facing this.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2016, 05:34:41 PM »

I've watched about forty minutes of Manchester by the Sea - I really don't like it, so I'm not sure I see the point of sticking it out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up