Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ANOTHER TONY AWARDS BASH  (Read 2724 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: ANOTHER TONY AWARDS BASH
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »

I enjoyed the Tonys and the hosts (I happen to love Kristin Chenoweth and Alan Cumming).

Re: the In Memoriam.  I like Josh Groban I didn't mind that they had him sing. But I found the rest ridiculous. The names were too far back and they were going at such a fast speed. I will never understand why they don't put the photos and names as the only thing on the screen.  That made it pretty disastrous to me.

I think it was this year's Academy Awards where they finally did it right.  Even though having Jennifer Hudson sing was a bit of a misfire, the video presentation was well done.

For me, anything with Josh Groban in it is the kiss of death. He sprang unto the scene via Oprah, which is something I look upon with suspicion. I don't like his singing or his mannerisms. He looks too mechanical and his voice is unnatural, not in a serendipitous way, but in a prepackaged way.

I don't care for him, either. But unlike some singers who I also don't care for but still respect their talents, with Josh Groban I can't understand what there is to like. Perhaps that's my own shortcoming. I just don't understand all the praise he's received.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »

I enjoyed the Tonys and the hosts (I happen to love Kristin Chenoweth and Alan Cumming).

Re: the In Memoriam.  I like Josh Groban I didn't mind that they had him sing. But I found the rest ridiculous. The names were too far back and they were going at such a fast speed. I will never understand why they don't put the photos and names as the only thing on the screen.  That made it pretty disastrous to me.

I think it was this year's Academy Awards where they finally did it right.  Even though having Jennifer Hudson sing was a bit of a misfire, the video presentation was well done.

For me, anything with Josh Groban in it is the kiss of death. He sprang unto the scene via Oprah, which is something I look upon with suspicion. I don't like his singing or his mannerisms. He looks too mechanical and his voice is unnatural, not in a serendipitous way, but in a prepackaged way.

It seems like anyone nowadays has to be packaged for the masses.  No one gets to be even slightly unique anymore.

DR George, I think you're right, and it's one of the reasons there's so much sameness through the culture today. Anything that sells gets cloned. Anything unusual is cast aside. It's really not fun.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »

Degroggify vibes to BK!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »

Show vibes to BK and cast!

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2015, 04:25:20 PM »

Thanks, DR Jeanne.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »

TCB, thanks for replying to my questions. I imagine you're in a kind of limbo right now with one eye "fixed" and the other eye not. Very encouraging that you can now see distance so well.

Eye vibes to TCB!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »

TTFN.

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »

TCB, thanks for replying to my questions. I imagine you're in a kind of limbo right now with one eye "fixed" and the other eye not. Very encouraging that you can now see distance so well.

Eye vibes to TCB!

DR TCB, one eye "fixed". Hmmmm, does that mean it was roving the neighborhood?
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »

There is a former dancer-chorus boy who's been kicked once too often in the head on Facebook's Forgotten Musicals and he drives me crazy: his innuendoes and gross comments he thinks are funny are just tacky.  When he's off his meds, he works my last nerve.  He's also been sending guys he thinks are cute or gay nude photos of himself. What a mess.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:26:24 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »

I don't care for him, either. But unlike some singers who I also don't care for but still respect their talents, with Josh Groban I can't understand what there is to like. Perhaps that's my own shortcoming. I just don't understand all the praise he's received.

I'm not a Groban fan as a performer, but I find him funny and rather charming on talk shows.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2015, 05:01:01 PM »

I thought this was a really insightful essay on what's wrong with the Tony telecasts:
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/08/why-are-tony-awards-so-afraid-tony-awards
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »

I thought this was a really insightful essay on what's wrong with the Tony telecasts:

Great minds, DR Singdaw - I signed in here just now to post this myself!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bigbuck

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

Can you tell the difference?

Help make those history papers history.

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2015, 05:10:11 PM »

I'm not a Groban fan as a performer, but I find him funny and rather charming on talk shows.

I do like him as a performer. But I was going to say that I love him on talk shows. He has co-hosted with Kelly Rippa many times and he is so sweet, funny and charming. I love him.

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2015, 05:11:54 PM »

TOD:

I'm wondering if BK and I saw the same show.

Indeed, about the only two thing we agree about is the terrible way the "In Memoriam" section was handled and Larry David's hilarious bit.

Sandy and I both thought that the Tony show was extremely entertaining and that the two hosts were terrific.

Once again: different strokes for different folks.

I think it is also that some people are a lot more critical  and picky than others, especially where it comes to awards shows. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »

I do like him as a performer. But I was going to say that I love him on talk shows. He has co-hosted with Kelly Rippa many times and he is so sweet, funny and charming. I love him.

And he is pretty darned cute.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »

Exactly!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

KevinH

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »

I like Josh Groban.  As I mentioned I like many of the songs on his Broadway album very much.  To each his own!

KevinH

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »

At her Met Opera concert in 2006, Barbara Cook spoke glowingly of Josh Groban before bringing him on stage to sing with her.  Seeing that in person has influenced my opinion of him, in his favor.

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »

Meanwhile, here in flyover country:

Pigs Loose on Highway

bigbuck

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »

bigbuck

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2015, 06:28:45 PM »

In the late 90's I remember seeing him for the first time, which at the time I had no idea he would end up where he is today, I remember telling my wife in bed 'Gee, I dig the sound of his voice, I dig it! I really do.'. He has driven a long journey through his career, and I wish the best for him.

George

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »

Well, it's time for me to leave work.

Until later.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »

I do not understand the appeal, either. Barbara Cook generally has a high bs detector when it comes to singers and how they interpret a song, which is why her master classes are so good. What she hears in his voice is beyond me.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »

Compare Grobin on the Live Chess album with David Carroll on the Broadway album, and the difference is night and day.

(The same is true when you listen to Idina Menzel and Judy Kuhn on the same albums.)
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »

Watching a strange movie called Don't Play Us Cheap, a musical written and filmed by Melvin Van Peebles back in 1972. It's a film version of his stage show with Esther Rolle, Mabel King and Avon Long and the music is wonderful, but it's all a little too special.

The plot has to do with two servants of Satan who drop in on a Harlem party one Saturday night. The younger one falls for a sweet young thing, and the party goes on. Singing, dancing, etc. I think the whole thing was filmed live, none of the singing seems to be synced.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »

Patience and job vibes for DRelmore!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »

New DR Bigbuck,

Jane