Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DINNER AND POSTMORTEM  (Read 8671 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: DINNER AND POSTMORTEM
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 10:58:18 AM »

And i believe this will put us there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »

Bingo!
My work is done.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »

Wow.  It really is page one.  Or was, by the time I finish this li'l contribution.

One of my garage door openers just broke!  :)

It's a two-car garage, and the side I use all the time has been a little wonky recently, but I guess its twenty years of age is catching up with it.  When I raised it a while ago, it went all the way up, but a wire came off a pulley or the pulley broke off of something or the big spring on one side popped...  or something.  Anyhoo, I closed it manually and it almost came crashing down (I hadn't yet seen that the spring wasn't connected).  So, tomorrow, I call the place down the road and let them fix it, or, worst case, tell me I need a new one.

As we all know, if it isn't one thing, it's another.  Oy!

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

Nice to see we're in agreement, DRs Ben and elmore!

Oh, I almost forgot.  After I won the lottery, the next winners were a family of four.  The two children were approximately 6 and 8. They were so excited to win and I was wondering why the children would be so thrilled since they naturally would not be going to the show.  Well, two hours later when I got to my seat there were the two children, no parents in sight!  I couldn't believe it.  The usher kept coming over and talking to them and mentioned they had seen the show before!!  I was shocked that the parents would let them see the show, not to mention they were by themselves (which I wouldn't do for any show)!  I have to say they were very well behaved.  I suppose some of the language went over their heads but there are also some graphic visuals!! 

I'm surprised that there wasn't a) an age restriction and b) a rule that little children cannot be left alone.

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »

Oh, and to make matters even more hilarious...

Before I realized it was really not going to work at all, I went inside and rummaged around for the garage door keys that I hadn't used in just about those twenty years (because the door opener system provides its own locking).  I thought I might be able to use the door manually for a day or two till it's fixed.

Okay, let's cut to the chase here.  I found the keys, had a little trouble inserting one into the lock...and of course nothing will happen.  It turns slightly, but, everything being broken, that does me no good.  The door is too heavy to lift without the spring system working.  And get this:  the key is now stuck in the lock.

Oh, the good times we'll have, looking back and laughing at all of this!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »

What a shame, DR FJL.

~ ~ ~ SUPER-STRENGTH VIBES ~ ~ ~ for a quick and successful resolution of your dilemma!

DITTO!!!!

Jane

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »

DR Chas I expect your 20 year old garage door opener will need replacing.  Good luck the door is fixed quickly!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »

I've been futzing and finessing - I completely rewrote the last of what I'd done last night - the idea was right but not the execution and I'd figured that out at seven in the morning and why I was up and writing those notes down.  But it took a while to get it at least in the ballpark so I could move on to chapter ten, which I finally began and have written a page of.

Ben

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »

Anything is possible, but it looks like

Peter Pan

is the next choice for NBC's live musical presention. Sometime in December of 2014 is the date.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »

Did one new page, took a shower, got some good ideas and then did four more pages.  That's it for now.  I'll leave for the theater in about thirty minutes, see the show, then eat something, then come home and relax - I'll definitely write another two or three pages.

Jane

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »

We took a nice walk and said hello to the horses and cows along the way.  In one field they each had a patch of hay they were eating from.  A horse decided to share with a cow so the cow decided to go where the horse had been eating.  It sounds boring but it was cute to watch them.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 01:29:03 PM »

FJL, sorry to read about the interuptions to the production.  Vibes that everything works out soon.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 01:40:20 PM »

Hugh Jackman coming back to Broadway in a Jez Butterworth play "THE RIVER" next year. Will premium prices finally go over $500?

To celebrate:  I updated "I Raid My Keogh" to tune of "I Go To Rio" (sung by Jan Horvath)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7UReYZx2wI

Very clever, Fred!    :D
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »

All day yesterday I was confused as to why we had a topic of the day; when we normally never have one on Sunday.  This morning when I read the notes, I figured out the error of my ways.

That, also, explains why the church was locked yesterday (that's a joke).
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »

Anything is possible, but it looks like

Peter Pan

is the next choice for NBC's live musical presention. Sometime in December of 2014 is the date.

I imagine it will star Lady Gaga as Peter, and Jay-Z as Hook / Mr. Darling.
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »

All day yesterday I was confused as to why we had a topic of the day; when we normally never have one on Sunday.  This morning when I read the notes, I figured out the error of my ways.

I will probably be confused all week, TCB. We canceled church for today because a marathon closed off the street that accesses our church. So we had church yesterday afternoon (which I missed because I had tickets to "Peter and the Starcatcher."
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »

I was siting in my recliner watching TV, with Nicky sleeping on my lap.  I dozed off and my hand came down and smacked Nicky in the head.  That was two hours ago, and he is stil not speaking to me.  In fact, he climbed into a large box so he doesn't have to hear me apologizing again and again.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »

I will probably be confused all week, TCB. We canceled church for today because a marathon closed off the street that accesses our church. So we had church yesterday afternoon (which I missed because I had tickets to "Peter and the Starcatcher."

Well, at least you have a good reason for being confused.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »

I suppose that Cathy and Brent are too old for a "live" TV version of PETER PAN
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »

That means you had a free Sunday :)

Jane

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »

I was siting in my recliner watching TV, with Nicky sleeping on my lap.  I dozed off and my hand came down and smacked Nicky in the head.  That was two hours ago, and he is stil not speaking to me.  In fact, he climbed into a large box so he doesn't have to hear me apologizing again and again.

Poor Nicky but he sure holds a grudge.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2014, 02:36:29 PM »

RE: yesterday's memories of Acres of Books.  Sadly, the Acres in Long Beach is also now gone...I think it was dead before I left LA in 2005.  I still get up to Ohio Bookstore every few months or so and what a lifetime of continuity it brings.  The now-owner was working in the shop when I was a young teenager buying books and I believe his right-hand man retired last year or so, but had been working there since he was a teenager when I was a customer back in the day.  The place and set-up still is very similar to when I left.  The only thing that is different is the back room in the basement used to have old records, mostly 78's, and has now become their book bindery. They still sell old Life and Look magazines.  But even as wonderful as it is, it is disheartening to realize it is a dinosaur...I go there and find holes on shelves where I bought stuff years ago andthat have never been restocked.  I tried to sell my parents books there when my mother passed away a few years ago and they don't even buy fiction anymore.  So many downtowns have died off or dwindled, sadly Cincy is no different.  But on Main street, I used to go on book buying sprees to Acres of Books, then down a couple of blocks to Neville's Antiques which used to sell books (and old sheet music), then a few doors down to Neville's was Ohio Bookstore...the only one left standing now.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

I just called our new neighbors to thank them for the bottle of wine they left to wish us a happy new year and to let us know they are building a temporary shelter to live in while they build their home.  Amazingly the bottle didn't break since it was outside in the cold until the 17th.

I expect they feel a bit guilty about the location of the temporary shelter as it is outside our fence at the edge of their property line.  Fortunately the house will be much farther away.

Laura

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »

That means you had a free Sunday :)

As long as I didn't want to go anywhere. That road also accesses my subdivision.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »

the key is now stuck in the lock.

Hope the solution is quick and not too costly.

I once managed to snap the head off a key, leaving the remainder in the lock.

Of my rental car.      :P
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »

What a shame, DR FJL.

~ ~ ~ SUPER-STRENGTH VIBES ~ ~ ~ for a quick and successful resolution of your dilemma!

DITTO! Maybe you'll find a replacement as quickly as BK did for his revue.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2014, 03:06:25 PM »

I called the rental place. It was 10 minutes before their closing time. The representative put me on hold until after they had closed, and then left the office.

I had to call a mobile locksmith myself to extricate myself from that situation. The next day, I gave the rental company a piece of my mind.
They ultimately reimbursed me for the locksmith, at least, which they didn't have to do.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »

Hello, DR Jeanne.    :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up