Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: I BELIEVE IN FAIRIES  (Read 10706 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: I BELIEVE IN FAIRIES
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »

I hate the DVD version of Rigby's Peter Pan - it's just all "canned" and there's nothing exciting about it - in other words, hideously directed by people who think they know what they're doing.  It's the Sandy Duncan version that should have been filmed - shockingly, it wasn't even given a cast album!  I would have done it instantly if I were doing such things back then.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2013, 10:47:09 PM »

I just figured out that I have seen Cathy do the show four times, too.  Unfortunately, none of those productions included the WSMA.  Cathy is delightful, both on and off the stage.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2013, 10:54:38 PM »

I'm waiting for George's chunks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »

I gotta tell you.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2013, 10:56:52 PM »

Here's the first:

Around 20 years ago (can really have been that long ago??...but it was), I was in a local production of Peter Pan.  It actually was an Evergreen State College production.  From what I remember, they auditioned several girls and women for the role of Peter, but no one was quite "right." 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2013, 10:57:43 PM »

I think it was Dan (the Man) who asked about how Tinkerbell is done now.   In this current production, I believe, the role of Tinkerbell was being played by Honey Boo Boo.  Sadly, she has gained so much weight that they could no longer fly her as well as flying Peter and the three Darling children, so she has been replaced by the new and improved laser.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »

Chunk #2:

The choreographer was Stephen Terrell, who had choreographed the BK-recorded Das Barbecü!  The director and producers (I think) just couldn't find anyone who had the boyish charm that Stephen happened to have (being a boy, and all), so they finally decided to ask him to play the role!  He accepted and was a terrific Peter!  AND he was a REAL boy! ;) He was a delightful person.  I didn't get to know him very well at all, but in the few interactions we had, he was very nice and polite...and, of course, very nice to look at.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2013, 10:59:36 PM »

What's wrong with my chunks?
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »

I played Bill Jukes, one of the pirates and the first to be killed by Peter, and had a great time.  However, the production itself was a troubled production.  The the biggest problem was that the set designer didn't really read the script or find out what the off-stage space at the Washington Center was like (it has no stage left wing...there is only about eight feet before you run into the ropes for the flys). 

George

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »

The designer had built a raked ship deck that had to be completely cut (after being paid for!) because it wouldn't actually fit on the stage and there was no place to store it when it was not on-stage.  What a dolt.

George

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »

What's wrong with my chunks?

Nothing, Tom...you have lovely chunks.

;D

George

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »

And then we'd heard that the director didn't want to pay the extra $3000 to have Peter fly over the audience at the end of the show.  She (the director) also wanted to completely redo the flying choreography.  One of the Foys (an actual member of the Foy family) was supervising the flying and he told her something to the effect that he was in the room when this show was created and that he knew how the flying had to be done for this all to work. 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:13:40 PM by George »

George

« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2013, 11:13:27 PM »

They did the flying the way he told them to.

;)

George

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2013, 11:13:54 PM »

And thus ends my chunks.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »

When we did PETER PAN (about ten years ago), they brought in the flying company the week before tech.  Most of us had the first flying rehearsal off except for Peter and the children.  I decided to go down and watch the rehearsal.  I waited until they took a break and then I headed down to where the flying crew was talking.  I said, "Hi, my name is TCB and I am playing Hook.  I understand you are going to be flying me, as well."  My God did those guys turn pale.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »

When we did PETER PAN (about ten years ago), they brought in the flying company the week before tech.  Most of us had the first flying rehearsal off except for Peter and the children.  I decided to go down and watch the rehearsal.  I waited until they took a break and then I headed down to where the flying crew was talking.  I said, "Hi, my name is TCB and I am playing Hook.  I understand you are going to be flying me, as well."  My God did those guys turn pale.

After a couple of rehearsals, Stephen said, "Now I know why they always have women play this role."  It really hurt his "family jewels."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up