Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS  (Read 16231 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 07:08:40 AM »

Happy Birthday, Charles!
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 07:10:20 AM »

Good morning, all.

Actually got close to 8 hours of sleep, which was great.

Too many things to do today, many of them to get ready for the Christmas party tonight. But Im watching the last half-hour of "The Merry Gentleman" before I leave. Not a great movie, but I find the performances of Michael Keaton, Kelly MacDonald and Bobby Canavale really compelling.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 07:11:08 AM »

TOD:

I assume you are talking about live theatre.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I don't think we went to the theatre this year.

:-[

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »

TOD: I don't think I went to the theater too often in 2012, which is a shame. I saw a game performance of a woman playing Ann Landers in a solo show.

I also several discs of bootleg performances. I think my favorites were of Reba and Brent in "Annie Get Your Gun" and the Papermill Playhouse production of "Follies."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 07:15:26 AM »

We're awaiting the arrival of the dog (a 3 year old lab mix) we are thinking of adopting.

We met him last Saturday, and his current owners are going to leave him with us for a few hours today to see how we all get along.

Fingers crossed.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »

Before the performance, the Human Race development director made some introductions and an announcement that after the show 2 of the actors would be collecting for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids.  When I put my contribution in Mr. Browlow's hat I told him it was in honor of our New York friend who is such a dedicated volunteer for that organization.

Ginny, thanks so much for the kind words. That's quite wonderful. BCEFA does a lot of good work and I'm happy that I can help in the effort.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »

TOD:
ONCE: THE MUSICAL
PIPE DREAM (City Center Encores)
MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF (York Theatre)
THE GHOSTS OF VERSAILLES (Manhattan School of Music)
THAÏS (Manhattan School of Music)

I would swear I saw more than that! I liked the other two Encores! productions but I think  the Sondhein-Firth MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG is a problematic work and their GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES had everything but a good Lorelei Lee.  Ialso liked LYSISTRATA JONES,another flawed piece, but very funny.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:24:38 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 07:19:35 AM »

TOD - my favorite theatre experiences this year took place in Washington, DC.  Arena's MUSIC MAN was a delight and DR Jose was an extremely gracious host both before and after the performance.  Two days after that we saw the rootin', tootin' Wild West version of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW at the Folger Shakespeare Library, which was great.

Then there's ONCE and HARVEY on Broadway, PORGY AND BESS in Cincinnati, and JERSEY BOYS and OLIVER in Dayton - it's been a good year for a theatre goer who lives in the middle of nowhere...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »

And the laundry is in the dryers and the floors are mopped. Too, too exciting!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 07:22:07 AM »

Before the performance, the Human Race development director made some introductions and an announcement that after the show 2 of the actors would be collecting for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids.  When I put my contribution in Mr. Browlow's hat I told him it was in honor of our New York friend who is such a dedicated volunteer for that organization.

Ginny, thanks so much for the kind words. That's quite wonderful. BCEFA does a lot of good work and I'm happy that I can help in the effort.

It's the least I could do, DR Ben.  I so admire what you do with your December vacation.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 07:33:39 AM »

Happy happy day to Chas!!!!

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 07:34:26 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Chas Smith!!!!
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 07:36:34 AM »

Robe-wearing vibes to Cilla!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 08:18:26 AM »

Happy Birthday, ChasSmith!  May you have many happy returns of this day!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 08:32:52 AM »

I'm up and will soon be on my way so she of the Evil Eye can do her thing.

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »

Good (late, very late) morning, all.

On this, my very special day, I had to get up early and go out to have the snow tires put on.  (Oy.)

ChasSmith

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »

And believe you me, I said a good Oy as I got up for it.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »

More TOD (sort of) - my first theatre opportunities of 2013 will be in London.  Any advice?

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: HAGIOGRAHPY!

And The Song Of The Day Is: A BUSHEL AND A PECK

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »

Christmas Visit in South Carolina, part 1:

I arrived in Columbia SC at approximately 10:47 a.m. Wednesday (having taken the red-eye out of SFO at approximately 11:55 p.m. PST the night before).  The flight was most pleasant from San Francisco to Atlanta.  The cabin was kept dark and the staff were most accommodating and non-intrusive.  I meant to sleep and sleep I did.

Despite everything, however, no amount of sleeping on such a flight will compensate you in the day ahead.  I was determined to stay awake all day and stuck to my guns.  My mom left for church around 6:30 p.m. and I went to bed at 7 p.m.

Thursday, I arose at 6:15 a.m., made coffee and retrieved the morning paper from the mailbox.  It had rained since my arrival and the rain seemed to have move on along, but it remained overcast and "damp".  At 8:30 a.m. we embarked on our annual trip to place flowers on the graves of my maternal grandparents and great grandparents..  Our first stop was to visit with our cousin Dot who has been in hospital aboug 5 times this past year.  Dot is in her late 80s but she is a determined spirit.  Her daughter Karen is taking care of her and staying over with her, leaving her husband to his own self-maintenance.  The very odd thing is that her husband was diagnosed with double-pneumonia and is taking care of himself, for the most part, including preparation of his own food.  Karen does what she can for both but she and her husand live across town from her mother and the stress must be intense.   

Dot was up for a good meal and we all went to Wade's in Spartanburg.  Dot had planned ahead and knew that on Thursday's, Wade's serves up its very delicious turkey and dressing as one of the menu items.  (If we had gone on Friday, we could have gotten dressing, but not turkey!).  After we said our farewells (and it was obvious to us all that Dot thought it might be the last time wo would see one another on this earth), my mother and Aunt Doris and I went to the cemetery and placed poinsettias on the graves. 

We then set out to the West Gate Shopping Center where, unbeknownst to me, a shopping-for-Ron event was scheduled.   I had not expected to do this kind of "shopping spree" until later in my visit.  The end result was a couple of really pretty shirts, a new belt, a pair of shoes and some wonderful Christmas socks!  These will be duly wrapped and placed under the tree.

After all of that, we started on our return trip which wold detour us toward Whitmire SC where my cousin Rick has his dental practice (for 32 years, the only dentist in town!).  We were going to be treated to dinner at Rick's and Susan's (his wife) and it was a real treat for me as I have seldom visited him at his home and looked forward to it.  Three of his four children (from a previous marriage) were going to be there, as well as his granddaughter.   They have a beautiful house, inside and out, on extensive grounds (not as big a deal here in SC as it would be in California, believe me), but the house is on 24 acres of really nice property surrounded by a state forest on three sides.  The evening was a delight and the dinner was excellent -- Rick grilled large, thick rib-eyes, and I had a meal I just "could" finish.  The evening was very pleasant and I really enjoy talking with Susan who is very cultured/well-travelled (and is doing her best to expose Rick to the world).

Alas, all good things must end and we said her goodbyes and began our trek home.  We got home at about 10 p.m., and once again, it was time to fall into bed and recover from the toils of the day.

Yesterday was a stay-at-home day.  I spent my morning decorating our Christmas tree and then putting the remaining decorations away.  It took a couple of hours (I'd sit and ponder each stage of the process...the lights, the ornaments and, then, the icicles).  I also knew I had to get busy catching up online.  All of my efforts to log onto Facebook and my e-mail were thwarted.  "Suddenly", neither would recognize my cell phone (android) which I'd used constantly over the past year to check both locations.  Additionally, when I attempted to log-on using my mom's computer, I got the same result.  BECAUSE of my attempt to log in using my smart phone, my on-line (PC) attempts were thwarted.   Only this morning was I able to start breaking  through the barriers that are Facebook and Yahoo security (and believe me, those two concepts are mind-boggling...with questions they say you've provided answers for in the event of such a thing and yet they asked me questions I'd never have selected to provide answers for!!).

Oh, well...the rest of this day should be peaceful.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:51:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »

Hap-Hap Slap-Happy Delicious Birthday Wishes To DR Chas Smith

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »

P.S.  Remind me to post, at a later time, the recipe for a "buttermilk pecan pie".  My aunt got the recipe from P. Allen Smith (landscaper/horticulturalist) and made three, one of which she took to Rick's and we had a piece for dessert that evening.

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »

Thanks to BK for the birthday greeting --

And continued VIBES and XYLOPHONES.

ChasSmith

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »

Happy Day to Chas!!!

Thank you, DR Ben!

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2012, 09:10:22 AM »

Happiest of Birthdays to DR CHAS SMITH from me and your neighbors, The Ricardos.

Thanks to both DR Jrand62 and my lovely neighbors!

ChasSmith

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday To Our DR ChasSmith !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, DR Elmore!

ChasSmith

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR ChasSmith!

Thank you, DR Jennifer!

ChasSmith

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday, DR ChasSmith!

We will be waiting for a dessert report.

Thank you, DR Laura!

ChasSmith

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR ChasSmith!

Thank you, DR Ginny!

ChasSmith

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR ChasSmith!

Thank you, DR Doug R!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up