Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FRIDAY THAT WAS FRIDAY  (Read 8889 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE FRIDAY THAT WAS FRIDAY
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »

Page Three
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »

Good morning, all! I slept late. My day is a slow one: laundry, which I musty begin; vacuuming and tidying; BALLET BALLADS proofreading. So, I slept late.

DR JRand61, there are a lot of other clips from ONE MAN; the British production was shown in movie theatres. It would be great if they released a DVD . I did order a copy of the script and the CD of the band last night.

DR ChasSmith, you had my heart fluttering like a wild thing for a moment. I really detest the 1950s version of SHOW BOAT intensely: listening to the Rhino soundtrack can have me in fits after the first track, which is usually when I turn it off. I generally hate the rescoring of Broadway shows for the MGM orchestra; Salinger and his team are good and theband plays well, but everything is so huge and hyper-inflated. It's never bothered me on soundtracks of film musicals like GIGI or SEVEN BRIDES FOr SEVEN BROTHERS, but I think the only Broadway to movie soundtracks I love are KISMET and  THE MUSIC MAN. 

As to the McGlinn recording on 3 CDs, it's one of my proudest achievements to have been apart of it, although I believe its success was the beginning of McGlinn's descent into complete madness and megalomania. He was always difficult and a social misfit with stunted adolescent problems, but the huge success of SHOW BOAT turned him into an unhappier and uglier person altogether.  It will all be in the memoirs.

How many volumes are you considering for these memoirs?

as many as the public will buy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »

I have purchased several that turned out to be dull-layer DVDs.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »

Good morning, all! I slept late. My day is a slow one: laundry, which I musty begin; vacuuming and tidying; BALLET BALLADS proofreading. So, I slept late.

DR JRand61, there are a lot of other clips from ONE MAN; the British production was shown in movie theatres. It would be great if they released a DVD . I did order a copy of the script and the CD of the band last night.

DR ChasSmith, you had my heart fluttering like a wild thing for a moment. I really detest the 1950s version of SHOW BOAT intensely: listening to the Rhino soundtrack can have me in fits after the first track, which is usually when I turn it off. I generally hate the rescoring of Broadway shows for the MGM orchestra; Salinger and his team are good and theband plays well, but everything is so huge and hyper-inflated. It's never bothered me on soundtracks of film musicals like GIGI or SEVEN BRIDES FOr SEVEN BROTHERS, but I think the only Broadway to movie soundtracks I love are KISMET and  THE MUSIC MAN. 

As to the McGlinn recording on 3 CDs, it's one of my proudest achievements to have been apart of it, although I believe its success was the beginning of McGlinn's descent into complete madness and megalomania. He was always difficult and a social misfit with stunted adolescent problems, but the huge success of SHOW BOAT turned him into an unhappier and uglier person altogether.  It will all be in the memoirs.

There's one volume devoted to the video collection. Oy!

I guess I can count on selling at least three copies, then: one to you, Barnum, and TCB!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »

I don't even know what a dual-layer DVD is.

I don't know the specifics, but essentially dual-layer DVDs can hold twice as much info as regular DVDs.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »

I guess I can count on selling at least three copies, then: one to you, Barnum, and TCB!

Are you kidding??  I'll take one! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »

Will it be available to buy on Kindle?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2012, 01:39:27 PM »

Are you kidding??  I'll take one! ;)

Don't buy one, George, you can have my copy when I have finished reading it.
“One thing’s universal,

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »

I don't even know what a dual-layer DVD is.

I don't know the specifics, but essentially dual-layer DVDs can hold twice as much info as regular DVDs.

Most movies that run over 2 hours (?) are dual layer.  That's why you often see a slight pause when the player switches to the 2nd layer.

The discs that seem to cause the most problems are the two-sided dual layer discs.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »

I thought you were still reading parchment scrolls and cave walls.

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »

Back home.  With just time to relax a bit before getting ready to go to a party that I really could do without going to.  But go to it I must.

My recorder specifically handles dual-layer; i.e., until the day it doesn't, and I really hope that day hasn't arrived.  It's like with tape -- you want to record at highest possible speed for quality, so you want to use the highest capacity discs in order to fit things on there decently.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »

Had some bacon and eggs and picked up a small package.  I'm now trying to do damage control - supposedly my helper shipped out a book to the NY Daily News critic - overnighted on Monday.  Of course, she's out of town right now and unfortunately she shipped it overnight at our UPS Store, which seems to have absolutely no record of the shipment.  The helper is quite definite that she was there at exactly two pm on Monday, saw the gal put the book in an overnight envelope and type the info into the computer.  She said it was charged to my house account.  There is no charge to the account on Monday and no record of the package being shipped.  Obviously someone has screwed up and I tend to trust my helper more than the people at the UPS Store.  The helper swears she has the receipt in her car and is trying to get her roommates to go find it so I at least have a tracking number.  Meanwhile, I've called the guy and left a message at his office about where to send a new package - I can get it to him tomorrow if he gets back to me in time, otherwise it will have to be on Monday.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »

I thought you were still reading parchment scrolls and cave walls.

Only those that you actually created.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »

Back home.  With just time to relax a bit before getting ready to go to a party that I really could do without going to.  But go to it I must.

My recorder specifically handles dual-layer; i.e., until the day it doesn't, and I really hope that day hasn't arrived.  It's like with tape -- you want to record at highest possible speed for quality, so you want to use the highest capacity discs in order to fit things on there decently.

Welcome home, Chas, how was the film?
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »

Off in a bit to First Friday, the monthly walkabout that's supposed to celebrate artists but usually ends up being a food and beer fest. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Danise

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

Hi all!

So sorry to read about DR Dan (the man)'s friend.  My condolences to his family and friends.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »

I saw that DR Elmore has "Oy!" on his VCR.   Some long forgotten musical no doubt?  ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ChasSmith

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »

Welcome home, Chas, how was the film?

A great and life-changing experience, TCB.  I feel like a new Hu-Man.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »

Very humid out today.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

I like it hot out. But we do not often get humidity that bothers me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »

I saw that DR Elmore has "Oy!" on his VCR.   Some long forgotten musical no doubt?  ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

Starring Michael Ball!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »

Starring Michael Ball!

Don't do that, elmore, you will have Danise calling Ticketmaster every five minutes trying to give them her credit card number.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »

Page three?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »

Say it isn't so, Joe.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »

Say it isn't so, Joe.

Well, then tell Joe to start posting!
“One thing’s universal,

Danise

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »

Starring Michael Ball!

Don't do that, elmore, you will have Danise calling Ticketmaster every five minutes trying to give them her credit card number.
Too late, I've been calling every five minutes.  Funny thing, there is no listing for "Oy!" staring Michael Ball.  :(     Dare I say it?  Oy vey!  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »

Page Three?   Oy and Vey

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »

Oy vey! indeed. I think I have to fnd a new executor for my will. My "best" freind is no longer in my social circle these days, and I think I need to appoint someone else. This means a new will and all that crap.

I may ask my brother Randy, but I don't think he relishes spending time in Manhattan to deal with my life. Maybe my adopted son Joshie? I hate this nonsense, but I don't think I'll be keeping things as they stand.

Oy. Vey!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »

Oy vey! indeed. I think I have to fnd a new executor for my will. My "best" freind is no longer in my social circle these days, and I think I need to appoint someone else. This means a new will and all that crap.

I may ask my brother Randy, but I don't think he relishes spending time in Manhattan to deal with my life. Maybe my adopted son Joshie? I hate this nonsense, but I don't think I'll be keeping things as they stand.

Oy. Vey!

Joshie might be very flattered that you would ask him.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2012, 05:14:23 PM »

Just one more and we will be off this page.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up