Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FRIDAY THAT WAS FRIDAY  (Read 8888 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE FRIDAY THAT WAS FRIDAY
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 08:42:22 AM »

Page two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »

TOD:

DVD - Rare collection of two variety films from the '30s on the Renown Pictures label

Blu/CD - Nothing!

Doug R

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »

I've started reading "Rosemary's Baby". The version I have has an awful and unnecessary Introduction by Chuck Palahniuk - who I admit I'd never heard of before.

John G.

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »

I've started reading "Rosemary's Baby". The version I have has an awful and unnecessary Introduction by Chuck Palahniuk - who I admit I'd never heard of before.
And now that you've heard of him, hit the erase button on your brain. Cleanse it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »

TOD - I'm now listening to audiobooks that I download from my former employer to my iPhone.  The selection is somewhat limited, so I listen to things that are a bit of a "stretch" for me.  Currently, it's Kathy Reichs' VIRALS, a novel about Temperance Brennan's great-niece, narrated by Cristin Millioti, the girl from ONCE.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »

Big Happy Friday Vibes to All!
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »

MEdia Check:

DVD:  I bought THE ARTIST last weekend.  Hopefully, I'll get around to watching it this weekend.

Books:  Plowing through JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR NORREL as my commuting read.  Before bed, I've been enjoying the second POPEYE daily strip collection.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »

TOD:

Nothing new to watch this weekend...unless there is something in today's mail.

We finished the first season of MAVERICK last night and really enjoyed it.  The scripts were good and hold up quite well.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 09:53:42 AM »

It looks like I'm set to do 2 horror conventions in October, two weekends in a row.

One in McAllen, TX and the other in Burbank, CA.

Just waiting for a final confirmation on the Burbank one.
You can dream…or you can do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »

My office team and I were stunned yesterday to learn of the death of a guy who worked with us as a consultant a few years ago.  He was shot and killed on the street in Philly late last Sunday night, probably the victim of a robbery.  He was only 32.  He loved the city and had bought, gutted and renovated a house that he turned into a showplace.  He loved music and was always introducing me to new bands and recordings.  What I remember most about him was that though he was on the shy side, he didn't let that get in his way when meeting people or doing a professional presentation.  He was really a sweet guy who didn't deserve to die so young and in this manner.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »

My office team and I were stunned yesterday to learn of the death of a guy who worked with us as a consultant a few years ago.  He was shot and killed on the street in Philly late last Sunday night, probably the victim of a robbery.  He was only 32.  He loved the city and had bought, gutted and renovated a house that he turned into a showplace.  He loved music and was always introducing me to new bands and recordings.  What I remember most about him was that though he was on the shy side, he didn't let that get in his way when meeting people or doing a professional presentation.  He was really a sweet guy who didn't deserve to die so young and in this manner.

How sad, DR Dan(theMan)!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes of comfort to his friends and family! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »

That's horrible news. Sorry to hear it. Condolences to you and all of his friends.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »

I need some lunch!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - got up at nine-thirty, then stayed in bed for another hour.  I didn't get to sleep until two last night.  I was in bed by 12:45 but we had a helicopter show that was so annoying I'm sure no one in the neighborhood could sleep.  I looked to see if they were chasing some hoodlum but could find nothing.  I tried to fall asleep but it was useless, so an hour later I sat up and started playing on the bedside iPad - the MINUTE I did that, the helicopters were gone and we had blessed silence.  Unfortunately, I was also fully awake.  I fell asleep about fifteen minutes later.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - I'm so sorry to hear about your young colleague.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2012, 11:37:11 AM »

Happy National Fried Chicken Day.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »

That's terrible!  My condolences to you and to his family and friends.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »

That's terrible!  My condolences to you and to his family and friends.

Same here, Dan!  Such terrible news.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »

What is currently in my CD and DVD player?

Didn't we just do this on Friday?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »

Good morning, all.

I miss ArnoldMBrockman's songs of the day when he's on vacation.

Ditto!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »

At last the evacuation of Toyland is begun! I feared this was going to be a last minute situation, whre the incoming office and the outgoing office would block traffic all day, but i think we are fine now.

This is a big relief!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »

Good morning, all! I slept late. My day is a slow one: laundry, which I musty begin; vacuuming and tidying; BALLET BALLADS proofreading. So, I slept late.

DR JRand61, there are a lot of other clips from ONE MAN; the British production was shown in movie theatres. It would be great if they released a DVD . I did order a copy of the script and the CD of the band last night.

DR ChasSmith, you had my heart fluttering like a wild thing for a moment. I really detest the 1950s version of SHOW BOAT intensely: listening to the Rhino soundtrack can have me in fits after the first track, which is usually when I turn it off. I generally hate the rescoring of Broadway shows for the MGM orchestra; Salinger and his team are good and theband plays well, but everything is so huge and hyper-inflated. It's never bothered me on soundtracks of film musicals like GIGI or SEVEN BRIDES FOr SEVEN BROTHERS, but I think the only Broadway to movie soundtracks I love are KISMET and  THE MUSIC MAN. 

As to the McGlinn recording on 3 CDs, it's one of my proudest achievements to have been apart of it, although I believe its success was the beginning of McGlinn's descent into complete madness and megalomania. He was always difficult and a social misfit with stunted adolescent problems, but the huge success of SHOW BOAT turned him into an unhappier and uglier person altogether.  It will all be in the memoirs.

How many volumes are you considering for these memoirs?
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »

Good morning, all! I slept late. My day is a slow one: laundry, which I musty begin; vacuuming and tidying; BALLET BALLADS proofreading. So, I slept late.

DR JRand61, there are a lot of other clips from ONE MAN; the British production was shown in movie theatres. It would be great if they released a DVD . I did order a copy of the script and the CD of the band last night.

DR ChasSmith, you had my heart fluttering like a wild thing for a moment. I really detest the 1950s version of SHOW BOAT intensely: listening to the Rhino soundtrack can have me in fits after the first track, which is usually when I turn it off. I generally hate the rescoring of Broadway shows for the MGM orchestra; Salinger and his team are good and theband plays well, but everything is so huge and hyper-inflated. It's never bothered me on soundtracks of film musicals like GIGI or SEVEN BRIDES FOr SEVEN BROTHERS, but I think the only Broadway to movie soundtracks I love are KISMET and  THE MUSIC MAN. 

As to the McGlinn recording on 3 CDs, it's one of my proudest achievements to have been apart of it, although I believe its success was the beginning of McGlinn's descent into complete madness and megalomania. He was always difficult and a social misfit with stunted adolescent problems, but the huge success of SHOW BOAT turned him into an unhappier and uglier person altogether.  It will all be in the memoirs.

How many volumes are you considering for these memoirs?
There's one volume devoted to the video collection. Oy!
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »

MEdia Check:

DVD:  I bought THE ARTIST last weekend.  Hopefully, I'll get around to watching it this weekend.

Books:  Plowing through JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR NORREL as my commuting read.  Before bed, I've been enjoying the second POPEYE daily strip collection.

I never knew that Popeye stripped.  Did he use a stage name?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »

I know that is not a nice thing to laugh at the recently departed, but as I was reading thru the obituarys, looking for my own name; I came upon this interesting sentence.  Mind you, I am not laughing at the deceased, but rather at the person who wrote the obit.

"On Saturday, July 1st, Tim met with a terrible accident while diving off a cliff in Moses Lake."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:51:50 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »

What a shame.  My prayers and sympathies to his family and to his friends.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »

On AOL's news bites this morning, they had a big headline, "ANDY GRIFFITH'S CAUSE OF DEATH RELEASED"

At age 86, were we expecting some big scandal?  The man had a heart attack for God's sake.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »

On AOL's news bites this morning, they had a big headline, "ANDY GRIFFITH'S CAUSE OF DEATH RELEASED"

At age 86, were we expecting some big scandal?  The man had a heart attack for God's sake.

EVERYTHING nowadays has to be hyped. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »

Speaking of SHOW BOAT...
At the risk of getting DR Elmore's hopes up only to dash them to smithereens...
I have some good news and some bad news.

The Good:  I  have both the complete laserdisc set, and Criterion's release of the 1936 with its own extras including a commentary by Miles Kreuger.  They should all still be in perfect condition.

The Bad:  My DVD recorder recently started getting temperamental with the DL (dual layer) DVDs that are the lifeblood of a project like this.  I might have simply had a few bad ones, but I need to order more and work with it a bit.  These machines tend to be fussy anyway, and I had just moved it into a new setup.  If I can get it all working again, I'll see about getting these (cough--ahem) backed up.  But it will be a few weeks before I'm able to sit down to that.

My DVD recorder/burner can't handle dual-layer DVDs. :P

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »

I don't even know what a dual-layer DVD is.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up