Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WELCOME 2010!  (Read 32137 times)

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: WELCOME 2010!
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »

DR DtM - your novel sounded too interesting to be part of the competition.
....it has an undertaste.....

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »

Post deleted.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2010, 12:40:39 PM »

I think DR CP has said good things about Mr Drury in previous posts.  And perhaps DR DRUXY has as well.  It was Mr Robert Horton who didn't pass the nice test among those who worked with him, I think.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #183 on: January 01, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »

This is 2010, and I think it is the year we make contact, if I remember my movie lore.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »

Bette Davis next up on THE VIRGINIAN....which doesn't sound seemly at all.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »

Just got back from Blockbuster.

Rented PUBLIC ENEMIES and IN THE LOOP.

I know that PUBLIC ENEMIES is not suppose to be that good, but I'm a John Dillinger buff.

I watched this last night.  Was disappointing.  Like most Mann films...very visually styl
[/quote]

My favorite Dillinger movie is the one with Warren Oates as Dillinger and Ben Johnson as Purvis.  It seems to stick closest to the facts.
[/quote]

I know that PUBLIC ENEMIES is not suppose to be that good, but I'm a John Dillinger buff.

I watched this last night.  Was disappointing.  Like most Mann films...very visually stylish.  But somewhat cold and short on characterization.  The film they talk about in the extras sounded very interesting (and the history is fascinating as well as the movie's replication of events and places), but it's not really the one I saw on screen.  The most fascinating thing about it was Billy Crudup's Hoover...though it's never overt or even mentioned in any of the scenes, I felt the implication that he was a latent homosexual was very strong.

My favorite Dillinger movie is the one with Warren Oates as Dillinger and Ben Johnson as Purvis.  It seems to stick closest to the facts.

Druxy, I said precisely this same thing to my wife last night while watching Public Enemies.  Dillinger was written and directed by John Milius.  There was also a series of Melvin Purvis television movies, I believe, with Ben Johnson in the role. 

I also told my wife I've never seen the Dillinger movie with her pal Lawrence Tierney in it.  I tease her about Lawrence Tierney being her pal, because shortly after she came to LA, she had an unusual encounter with Mr. Tierney outside of the now-defunct La Brea Circus.  She had no idea who he was until I told her.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »

TCB, I got along with Jim Drury just fine.  He was a big drinker at the time...but though I never saw him without a drink close by (even in his dressing-room), I never saw him drunk nor did it seem to affect his work or performance.

Years later, Larry and I saw him in LA and he was off the booze entirely.  I believe BK and I (I know I have) have encountered him a few times at the Ray Courts memorabilia shows we used to go to.  Always treated his casts very well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »

Back from the long jog.  Can't say it was the easiest long jog but I did it and I'm back, so those are two positives.  I shall now shave and shower and be on my way to the Pearl Partay, after which I shall return.

FJL

« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »

Did I miss it?  Of what is this "Post deleted" thing a parody?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2010, 01:51:57 PM »

DR DRUXY - it would be the DILLINGER fans who are most disappointed with the movie.  I do agree with DR CP that Billy Crudup's J E Hoover is the best part of the movie.

Marion Cottillard's wart on her forehead throughout the movie drives me crazy!

And Mr Dillinger's grand nephew says that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that John's last words were those in the film.

I just finished watching this (i.e. PUBLIC ENEMIES).

The true story of John Dillinger is fascinating.  This movie was a bore.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2010, 01:58:30 PM »

I watched this last night.  Was disappointing.  Like most Mann films...very visually styl

[/quote]

I watched this last night.  Was disappointing.  Like most Mann films...very visually stylish.  But somewhat cold and short on characterization.  The film they talk about in the extras sounded very interesting (and the history is fascinating as well as the movie's replication of events and places), but it's not really the one I saw on screen.  The most fascinating thing about it was Billy Crudup's Hoover...though it's never overt or even mentioned in any of the scenes, I felt the implication that he was a latent homosexual was very strong.

Druxy, I said precisely this same thing to my wife last night while watching Public Enemies.  Dillinger was written and directed by John Milius.  There was also a series of Melvin Purvis television movies, I believe, with Ben Johnson in the role. 

I also told my wife I've never seen the Dillinger movie with her pal Lawrence Tierney in it.  I tease her about Lawrence Tierney being her pal, because shortly after she came to LA, she had an unusual encounter with Mr. Tierney outside of the now-defunct La Brea Circus.  She had no idea who he was until I told her.
[/quote]

I think it was Dale Robertson who played Purvis in the TV movies and my friend, Steve Kanaly (who played Pretty Boy Floyd in the Oates DILLINGER), was his assistant.

Forget the Lawrence Tierney DILLINGER.  It's not very good and even more inaccurate than PUBLIC ENEMIES.

I recall meeting Tierney years ago.  Interesting man.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »

Now we're watching the Capitol One Bowl...

Actually, the women in the house are watching football, but the men are not.  What's up with that?

This IS a problem worth pursing!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »

Well, my day turned out exactly as had been originally planned.

I began by watch the "Witch" episode of THE MENTALIST from the first season box before I headed out to do my usual Friday errands. Always like that episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »

The grocery store was like a ghost town. The shelves were stocked but there were very, VERY few people there. I guess people have other things to do on New Year's Day besides grocery shop. I was in and out of there in record time.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »

When I got back, I had a very light snack (a box of raisins) and watched THE MENTALIST from the DVR. The CBS affiliate preempted it last night and showed it at 3 a.m. except it was late starting, and the last few minutes of the show got chopped off. Made me furious. Sure, I've already seen it and knew how it turned out, but I wanted to see final justice delivered, and I only got to the part where the guilty party was trapped and Patrick started presenting his explanation of the case.

Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2010, 02:23:33 PM »

At that point, I still didn't know if we'd be picking my friend up at the airport or not, so I went ahead and started watching my work project for the day - THE MARINE 2.

It's basically DIE HARD on a resort island. OK action flick but the acting was not very good (and I don't mean the lead wrestler Ted Dibiase's acting. He was one of the better performers!)

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: January 01, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »

During the movie I found out that Gregg would be coming in on time (3:40 p.m.), so I went ahead and finished and movie and watched all of the bonus features. There was no commentary, so that helped a lot in getting finished with the disc before we had to leave for the airport. In fact, I even had time to start another MENTALIST episode, but I didn't finish it so Ill save that for a later post.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: January 01, 2010, 02:25:59 PM »

We went to pick up Gregg and then stopped at a Chinese restaurant which has recently opened up near my house. It's buffet style, so I ate like the proverbial pig. Really! I feel like I'm about to pop out of my jeans at this minute.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #198 on: January 01, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »

I woke up, got out of bed at about 12:30, fed my cat, emptied the litter box, took a shower, got dressed, ate a meatball wrap thing (quite delish), and have now caught up with all the posts.

And that was my early afternoon. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #199 on: January 01, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »

I hope that everyone's day (and new year) is going well...so far.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »

Gratuitous Post #200!

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »

Well, I must hop off-line now and write up today's work project. Then, it'll be back downstairs and likely just TV episodes for the remainder of the evening. Not sure I'll have time for an entire movie unless it was a short one.

WBBL.

George

« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »

I had a Cherry Coke and some chocolate for breakfast.

Cherry Coke and chocolate...the Breakfast of Champions!!

;)

George

« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »

Encores Western Channel is showing episodes of THE VIRGINIAN all day today.  Most entertaining.

And Fox Reality Channel - which is still being carried on Time-Warner right now, I think - is re-running the whole last cycle of "Amerian Idol" all day today. Most... Well... most something.  ;)

BBC America is running nothing but the new "Doctor Who" until Sunday at 1:00 am...except for two showings of a new show called "Demons." 

George

« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »

A Very Happy New Year's Day Birthday to DR Jose's DB Jay!!

George

« Reply #205 on: January 01, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: January 01, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 01, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »

I got no USPS mail yesterday (not a great way to end 2009), and, of course, we have no mail delivery today. Rats!

I got no call back from the USPS concerning my MISSING vacation hold mail.

So ANGRY!

Sigh.

On the positive side, USPS is back in business tomorrow morning. Do you have a phone number to call the supervisor of your carrier?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: January 01, 2010, 03:19:05 PM »

DR DRUXY - it would be the DILLINGER fans who are most disappointed with the movie.  I do agree with DR CP that Billy Crudup's J E Hoover is the best part of the movie.

Does he wear nice gowns?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #209 on: January 01, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from Steve's sister's New Year's Day Do...

Baked ham, candied sweet potatoes, black-eyed peas, collard greens, corn bread (the kind made with a can of creamed corn, a stick of melted butter and a tub of sour cream!), and pasta with cheese.

Steve's sister, Becky, has recently discovered the "joys" on non-overcooked food, so her vegetables were especially tasty.

Oh, and for dessert, she made a "Chocolate Volcano" Cake. You basically cook a box-mix chocolate cake in the microwave along with a can of frosting that has been dolloped over the top of the batter.  As it cooks, the frosting sinks to the bottom of the pan and forms the "lava".  After cooling it in the pan for about 30 minutes, you invert it on a cake plate, take off the cake pan, and... Voilá!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up