Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WELCOME 2010!  (Read 29974 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: WELCOME 2010!
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »

Just got back from Blockbuster.

Rented PUBLIC ENEMIES and IN THE LOOP.

I know that PUBLIC ENEMIES is not suppose to be that good, but I'm a John Dillinger buff.

I watched this last night.  Was disappointing.  Like most Mann films...very visually stylish.  But somewhat cold and short on characterization.  The film they talk about in the extras sounded very interesting (and the history is fascinating as well as the movie's replication of events and places), but it's not really the one I saw on screen.  The most fascinating thing about it was Billy Crudup's Hoover...though it's never overt or even mentioned in any of the scenes, I felt the implication that he was a latent homosexual was very strong.

My favorite Dillinger movie is the one with Warren Oates as Dillinger and Ben Johnson as Purvis.  It seems to stick closest to the facts.
You can dream…or you can do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2010, 10:44:15 AM »

I'm feeling very 2010.  I had a sip of champagne.  I hear fireworks in the distance.

I wish we had a photo of BK drinking a small dollop of champagne.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »

Have been through e-mails and will now try to de-groggify so I can joggify.  Having already written four pages last night, I don't really need to write anymore today, but I think I will at least try to finish the introduction, maybe two to three more pages.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »

DR DRUXY - it would be the DILLINGER fans who are most disappointed with the movie.  I do agree with DR CP that Billy Crudup's J E Hoover is the best part of the movie.

Marion Cottillard's wart on her forehead throughout the movie drives me crazy!

And Mr Dillinger's grand nephew says that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that John's last words were those in the film.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »

This New Years thought came in an e-mail, so I thought I'd share in case we haven't seen it here before.

Inner Peace for the New Year

I am passing this on to you because it definitely worked for me today, and we all could probably use more calm in our lives!

Some doctor on the TV this morning said that the way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started. So I looked around my house to see things I'd started and hadn't finished and, before leaving the house this morning, I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of shhhardonay, a bodle of Baileys, abutle of vocka, a pockage of Pringlies, the res of the Chesescke a n a box a chocolets. Yu haf no idr ow frigin gud I fel. Peas sen dis orn to anyy yu fee ar in ned ov inr pece. O, un hab a havvy Nuw Yeer!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »

Thanks for the links DR FJL.

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:03 AM »

Life is good!  I have just started a very small (mini) pot of Velveeta Taco Dip.  And it is all for me, myself, and I.  Yumm!

DR TCB - that would go well with the crockpot-full of chili that's cooking here!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:51 AM »

And remember - as I reported yesterday....according to Billy Jack - your inner self looks exactly like your outer self, except it is covered in blue greasepaint.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »

Jane

« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »

I am being very lazy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »

I wonder if I'll like what I wrote last night.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »

FJL

« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »

Jrand - Just wondering.  And taking your terrific joke to an extreme.  What if someone were trying hard to live that uneventful life, perhaps having seen the sorrow that fame and ambition brought to others, but great things kept coming her way totally by accident and interfering with the desire to not be accomplished and live a quiet life?

Or does that sound more like a ten-minute comedy sketch than a full story?

Laura

« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »

That's a great thought, FJL. I wonder what I things I have around here I should finish.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Jane

« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »

Jane

« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2010, 11:01:32 AM »

Jane

« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »

I'm entertaining myself while we talk to keith's brother.  we called to wish him a happy new year.

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »

I'm enjoying your New Year greetings, DR Jane!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »

Had an e-mail from the darling daughter - sometime in the next couple of weeks she or her husband will fly to LA, get the car (my old motor car) and drive it back to their place of living.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2010, 11:12:15 AM »

And, Jose, even if your mom got it wrong, Happy Birthday Jojo, anyway.

Hiya - yes, she ships. You can see the product info at her web site:
www.blacktieconfectioners.com
If you like, you can order through the site, or just let me know how much you want and when you want it. We sell a lot from Thanksgiving through New Year, Valentine's Day week, Mothers' Day - otherwise, mostly bulk orders for caterers, gourmet candy/gift shops, event planners on a slow, regular year-round basis. The worst is over for now, so if you want boxes, it's very easy to fill a rush order.

Thank You, DR PennyO.

*Does Rikki ship that toffee? ;)
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »

Sheesh... I didn't get that quote thing right... oy... can you spell severely tech-challenged???
PennyO

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2010, 11:13:43 AM »

I think we should all offer MR BK ways he should NOT open his book.....such as....

Beulah was a plain girl.  She resolved at age 10 that she would never fall in love, never be involved in any scandal, never leave her home,  and in fact never have any friends.  She kept each resolution until she went to her reward at age 96.  This is her story.

Dimitri Igor Devanayich could not stop his hands from trembling.  And upon making that realization, he knew that slowing his racing heartbeat or ceasing the flow of sweat from his brow were hopeless wishes as well.  As fultile as the dreams of the hundred peasants that slave out their days on his family estate at Mostkakobia.  Nevertheless, Devanayich needed to settle his jangled nerves.  He pulled himself up from his knees and, almost tripping over the lifeless body on the floor before him, lunged for the vodka bottle on the serving table.  He lifted the bottle quickly to his mouth and poured the stinging liquid in, swallowing with gulp unbefitting an Officer of the Royal Czarist Airforce.  Of the thousand thoughts that roared in his mind, only one was instantaneously comprehensible:  he must escape!  And quickly!

"But where?!?" Devanayich whispered through gritted teeth.  "Where can I go now?!?"

And his eyes focused on the headline of the scattered newpaper that laid on the floor next to his strangled lover, the Grand Dutchess Irina Maria Tschzykevzia:  "HMS HIBERNIA TO SAIL FROM VLADAVASTOK TO AMERICA"

Devanayich's hands at last began to steady and he smiled. "Yes," he hissed. "Where else can I hide but...Studio City..."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »

penny i love fireworks and rarely get to see them, wish i had been at the marina with you.

It was spectacular!!! Made me so happy, I felt like a little kid.
PennyO

DAW

« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jay, the DB of DR JoseSPiano!!!      :)

DAW

« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:42 AM »

This post intentionally left blank.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »

I think we should all offer MR BK ways he should NOT open his book.....such as....

Beulah was a plain girl.  She resolved at age 10 that she would never fall in love, never be involved in any scandal, never leave her home,  and in fact never have any friends.  She kept each resolution until she went to her reward at age 96.  This is her story.

Dimitri Igor Devanayich could not stop his hands from trembling.  And upon making that realization, he knew that slowing his racing heartbeat or ceasing the flow of sweat from his brow were hopeless wishes as well.  As fultile as the dreams of the hundred peasants that slave out their days on his family estate at Mostkakobia.  Nevertheless, Devanayich needed to settle his jangled nerves.  He pulled himself up from his knees and, almost tripping over the lifeless body on the floor before him, lunged for the vodka bottle on the serving table.  He lifted the bottle quickly to his mouth and poured the stinging liquid in, swallowing with gulp unbefitting an Officer of the Royal Czarist Airforce.  Of the thousand thoughts that roared in his mind, only one was instantaneously comprehensible:  he must escape!  And quickly!

"But where?!?" Devanayich whispered through gritted teeth.  "Where can I go now?!?"

And his eyes focused on the headline of the scattered newpaper that laid on the floor next to his strangled lover, the Grand Dutchess Irina Maria Tschzykevzia:  "HMS HIBERNIA TO SAIL FROM VLADAVASTOK TO AMERICA"

Devanayich's hands at last began to steady and he smiled. "Yes," he hissed. "Where else can I hide but...Studio City..."

Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
PennyO

DAW

« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »

"First lines of novels we never want to read"

Sounds very much like the Bulwer-Lytton Awards!!        :D

DAW

« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »

I would now like to eat a box of Rikki's toffee and some of DR PennyO's chocolate-covered strawberries.           :P

DAW

« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »

But first.......
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up