Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LEADING THE WAY  (Read 26714 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: LEADING THE WAY
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »

CBS as an all new slate tonight so new episodes of NCIS, NCIS: LA, and THE GOOD WIFE.

NBC continues its singing competition.

ABC has a mix of reruns along with new episodes of BETTER OFF TED and SCRUBS.

FOX has SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE and a Gordon Ramsey show.

CW has VAMPIRE DIARIES reruns.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 07:08:18 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 07:36:48 AM »

I don't collect autographs, persay, but have hundreds of autographed books, many by favourite authors.  Two favourite autographs are a letter I have by H. Rider Haggard (author of SHE and KING'S SOLOMON'S MINES) and an autographed copy of the Knight's Code that I wrote for DRAGONHEART which was Sir John Gielgud's working copy which he used when he played the Voice of King Arthur in the movie.  It has his notes on it, lightly pencilled in, and is inscribed to me from him.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 07:37:20 AM »

Well, looks like my morning internet surf has come to an end. Guess I'll head downstairs and watch more PERRY MASON. I only have two episodes left in the set before I can start on THE MENTALIST's first season box.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 07:37:45 AM »

LOL 3D CONFUSION - I mentioned your name last night only because I wasn't sure it was you being an ass at BroadwayWorld, and lo and behold a little while later, you claimed the honor. Thanks for the confirmation.  I now know for SURE that you are an idiot and an internet flamer of the absolute worst kind.

I will say nothing more about your post this morning - it speaks for itself and yourself.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 07:38:51 AM »

Autographs.....well I have a few that I wanted:

Allison Hayes
Frances Farmer
Carroll Baker
Gale Storm

Now and then I see something that I want - one that I am NOT interested in is Sarah Palin - the 3D CONFUSION of politics.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:22 AM »

I'm just curious--could 3D be the long ago Cora of Amazon fame?  ;)

BK, did I miss something--which FSM release are you talking about?  Freud?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 07:46:30 AM »

Very sneaky, JRand. LOL.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

JMK

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »

I have lots and lots of interesting autographs from various and sundried people.  Of course I have many Frances autographs, which belies the commonly accepted myth that she never signed anything.  I even have some interesting "group" autographs with her, and in fact some "Group" (Theatre) autographs, LOL, including several pieces of sheet music signed by her and her co-stars like Cary Grant, Bing Crosby, Jon Hall, etc.  (Unfortunately World Premiere had no title tune, hence no group auto with her and Barrymore ;)  ).  I also have her autograph on some interesting paraphenalia, including her 1935 passport, a beautiful big pastel portrait done for the Washington Post when Golden Boy was on tour, and a bunch of the Golden Boy Playbills (one of them interestingly also signed by 20th Century Fox's Arlene Whelan, who was never in the play, at least that I can tell).

In the political world, due to my father's prominence, I have a ton of senator and governor autographs.  Plus, as I've probably mentioned before, I have a personalized letter and signed picture from none other than Richard M. Nixon.  Unfortunately 18 words are missing from the letter, so it's a bit hard to decipher.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 07:49:28 AM »

TOD - My souvenir program book from my first Broadway show - original cast Cabaret - was autographed at the stage door in 1967 by 4 of the 5 principals:  Joel Grey, Lotte Lenya, Jack Gilford, Bert Convy.  We missed Jill Haworth because we didn't recognize her - as Sally she had short dark hair and in real life she had long blonde hair.  I took the same program book to a touring Cabaret at Cincinnati's Music Hall in the mid-1980s and Joel Grey re-autographed it.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 07:51:30 AM »

Great story DR GINNY!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 07:51:53 AM »

Very sneaky, JRand. LOL.

Yes, it was - but I am old.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 07:52:32 AM »

[
I have lots and lots of interesting autographs from various and sundried people.  Of course I have many Frances autographs, which belies the commonly accepted myth that she never signed anything.  I even have some interesting "group" autographs with her, and in fact some "Group" (Theatre) autographs, LOL, including several pieces of sheet music signed by her and her co-stars like Cary Grant, Bing Crosby, Jon Hall, etc.  (Unfortunately World Premiere had no title tune, hence no group auto with her and Barrymore ;)  ).  I also have her autograph on some interesting paraphenalia, including her 1935 passport, a beautiful big pastel portrait done for the Washington Post when Golden Boy was on tour, and a bunch of the Golden Boy Playbills (one of them interestingly also signed by 20th Century Fox's Arlene Whelan, who was never in the play, at least that I can tell).

In the political world, due to my father's prominence, I have a ton of senator and governor autographs.  Plus, as I've probably mentioned before, I have a personalized letter and signed picture from none other than Richard M. Nixon.  Unfortunately 18 words are missing from the letter, so it's a bit hard to decipher.  ;)

You are a cottage industry, DR JMK.

JMK

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 07:58:27 AM »

Very sneaky, JRand. LOL.

???  Is this about outing Cora/3D on Broadway World?

FJL

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 07:58:45 AM »

The parody that never happened:

BYE BYE BERTOLD, featuring "Gotta Lotte Lenya to do"

JMK

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 07:59:30 AM »

I do remember when BK thought the end of Cora's name pointed to a perpetrator, but I always wondered if it was an anagram of Arco.  Could Cora/3D be a session musician from one of BK's projects?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 08:02:10 AM »

Very sneaky, JRand. LOL.

???  Is this about outing Cora/3D on Broadway World?

yes DR JMK.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 08:03:27 AM »

And don't forget:

Figs!
I don't know what's wrong with these figs today.
Figs!
Who can find a bargain - you pay and pay.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2009, 08:06:12 AM »

Great story DR GINNY!

Thanks, DR JRand.  That show was such a great one with which to start my Broadway theatre-going.  And, to top it off, my mom and I saw it from Lotte Lenya's house seats.  Mom worked at a bank with a woman whose brother had some connection to LL.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2009, 08:08:42 AM »

I went to the US Post Office this morning to mail a couple of CD's.

I mailed a CD and card to a friend I worked with at the Dept of Labor for many years.  I mailed a card to my friend Richard who lives in Hillsdale, NY, I mailed the MISS SAIGON book back even though I haven't been sent any postage money yet, AND a mailed a CD and two lumps of coal in a nice red bag to my sister Molly.

It was not crowded.  There was a youngish woman waiting next to me.  The clerk returned and told her she had 7 change of address cards on file.  I guess a letter had been returned and even though she had her current address in the return area, it had gone to one of her old addresses.  She went crazy and started yelling and said she had only lived in two places in the last year - it was a most loud and obnoxious rant.  And she said she thought "Tony" had taken care of it last time she was in - so that means it had been a problem before.  Who knows how many changes she had and how many addresses she had.  The clerk finally walked away after saying she would see what she could do.  The woman kept ranting and raving as someone who knows she is wrong is wont to do.

THEN at the Dollar General Store, the ladies at the register are glad that Tiger is taking a year off from golf - they think it will help his relationship with his wife - but they are convinced he will do it again.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 08:16:17 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I really do hope that the pain in my lower back will "pass" soon, if you get my drift.  Otherwise, no complaints about anything or anyone.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2009, 08:23:13 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

One of the few autographs that I wish I had would be Matthew Broderick's.  -Mainly because he was the only actor not to come out to the stage door after the first Wednesday matinee during the previews of Biloxi Blues.  My Playbill is signed by everyone but Mr. Broderick.

As for historical figures, if I had something signed by John F. Kennedy, I'm pretty sure I would cherish it greatly.

When I worked as a summer clerk for the Coast Guard, one of my duties was to get the officer promotion certificates signed by the Secretary of Transportation and the President.  I would head over to L'Enfant Plaza, go up to the Secretary's office, and then sit in a closet with a "signature machine" for a few hours. So... *However, any special commendations were sent directly to the desk of the Secretary and the President whenever possible.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »

I have a personalized letter and signed picture from none other than Richard M. Nixon.  Unfortunately 18 words are missing from the letter, so it's a bit hard to decipher.  ;)

I have a personalized autographed copy of Nixon's SIX CRISES.  He was up in Seattle signing copies prior to his run for Governor of California.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »

There have been another string of weird incidents on the New York City subways over the past few days... Yesterday, a man was killed on the tracks at 110th Street as he tried to retrieve his MP3 player from off the tracks himself.  (Instead of waiting for a station attendant with a long-handled "grab stick".)  And last night, as I was heading back from Queens, there were police above ground at 50th Street and 8th Ave.  They had closed off the station, and had apparently stopped the E Train for a while.  -A friend of mine who was coming in from Queens at the time was kicked off his train at the last stop in Queens.  -I read the reports the about the incident at 110th this morning, but nothing is coming up about what happened at 50th Street. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »

:)

Now that made me smile and giggle.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »

And here are the rest(?) of the Golden Globe Nominations.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »

And here's a recent article from The Boston Globe that I'm sure a few DRs may be able to identify with:

Untouchable - What a collector loses (and gains) in the age of music downloading
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

I just received word that Abraham Lincoln Brigade historian Carl Geiser has passed away at age 98.  Carl lived in Corvallis and was a font (fount?) of information about my late Uncle Charlie.  I think in fact that Carl and Charlie had been POW cellmates in Spain, IIRC.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »

They're dropping like flies.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2009, 08:59:42 AM »

RE: Barbary Coast

Yes DR MICHAEL S - it's a bit of a mystery.  I shall keep my eye out for a TV GUIDE from that week - none on EBAY right now.  And it should have the network listings for 10/20/58 no matter what local edition it is.

We shall discover what this is all about.  I am sure the world will not rest until we do.

DR JMK I used to watch the BARBARY COAST show you wrote about....I think Dennis Cole was in it....and maybe Rod Taylor.  It was way back in the 20th century.  :D

Shocking news reports DR JOSE.  Be careful out there.  :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up