Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: 2009! GOD BLESS US, EVERY ONE  (Read 37768 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: 2009! GOD BLESS US, EVERY ONE
« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »

PAGE NINE DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #241 on: January 01, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

OH!

And a Very Happy BIrthday to My Youngest Brother, Jay!!!!

Happy Birthday to DR Jose's YB Jay!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #242 on: January 01, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »

Well, at the least the Hollywood Foreign Press saw some merit in SCROOGE. Albert Finney won the Best Actor Golden Globe for his performance, and it was nominated for Best Film, Best Screenplay, Best Song, and Best Score.

I have raved here many times about the film. I, too, think it's Bricusse's best work, and "Happiness" is one of the most haunting songs to come from a movie ever. It is the one Christmas themed movie I return to each year. I don't get around to IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE or other versions of A CHRISTMAS CAROL every year, but I NEVER fail to watch SCROOGE, and I'll likely watch it again within a few months just because I love it so much.

I was one of those crowds of people who saw it at Radio City Music Hall, and on the big screen with the stereophonic sound, it was quite an experience. The moment in "See the Phantoms" when that hideous ghost comes right at the camera had me flinching in my seat. I literally ducked!

This is one of my two all-time favorite Christmas movies..."A Christmas Story" is the other.  We (my sister, niece, rest of the family) have to watch this ever year. :D

George

« Reply #243 on: January 01, 2009, 12:12:43 PM »

Topic of the Day:  I've never made any New Year's Resolutions (at least, none that I can remember).  If I were to make one this year, it would be to get more sleep. ::) I stay up too late and get up too early.  Consequently, I never feel rested during the day.

That's what it'll be...to get more sleep on a regular basis. 

So, Happy New Year, Everyone!!  I'm going to bed.

Good night, BK...and guests. ;D

Staying up too late I understand, George, but getting up too early?  Don't you go to work about the same time I am getting off work?

It takes me that long to actually wake up and get ready to go to work.

;)

FJL

« Reply #244 on: January 01, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »

George - Is it a focusing-the- contact-lenses thing?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #245 on: January 01, 2009, 12:15:22 PM »

I don't often make resolutions for the New Year, but I do like the idea of having a clean slate in front of me, with chances to improve things from the way they were the year before. 

2008 was a weird combination of ups and downs for me.  The personal side of my life was filled with wonderful things: the pregnancy, our trip to New York and New England, the birth of a healthy baby, wonderful times spent with our family and friends.  All of this contrasted with the underlying downturn in the state of our world that stops me from calling 2008 a truly positive year.  There was so much that went wrong, so much that seemed to test how low we could sink as a people.  But unless we change our collective mindset, we will have no chance of improvement.   
So I resolve to keep an open mind, to believe that things can get better.

My mother gently reminded me, after seeing me over the holidays, that I tend to forget to care of myself in my desire to care for Toby and Jed.  So I also resolve to take time for myself, taking care of me so I don't get totally run down. 

I suppose I could add the usual "I resolve to eat better and exercise more."  But I'll be a bit more specific about it and say "I resolve to get the rest of this baby weight off!"

And lastly, I resolve not to slip away from HHW again.  I forget sometimes what a truly special and wonderful group of people you are.  TCB said it best, I can't improve on that, but I wanted to add that I agree with him wholeheartedly. 

George

« Reply #246 on: January 01, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »

George - Is it a focusing-the- contact-lenses thing?

No. :-X

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2009, 12:17:57 PM »

PAGE NINE DANCE!!

LETS DO THE NINE WARP AGAIN!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #248 on: January 01, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »

;)

George

« Reply #249 on: January 01, 2009, 12:18:55 PM »

And now that I'm all caught up with today's New Year's Day posts, I must leave.  I have to shower and get dressed, then go to the store for my sister, then go to my sister's for our family's New Year's Day together.  Our parents are coming over!  It's my mom's first day out of the house (not including Tuesday's physical therapy session) since her knee replacement surgery, a couple of weeks ago.

Have a great day, all! ;D

Laura

« Reply #250 on: January 01, 2009, 12:44:47 PM »

I am still cooking.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #251 on: January 01, 2009, 01:02:41 PM »

I guess I'm in the minority: I always hated the film SCROOGE. I've been playing a lot, though, the CD of the cast recording of THE STINGIEST MAN IN TOWN, which was a tv special with Basil Rathbone,Vic Damone, Patrice Munsel, Robert Weede, Martyn Green, and Johnny Desmond around 1956. I don't like all of the score but some of it's very good. I wonder if a complete kinescope exists? It never turns up on eBay as a bootleg DVD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #252 on: January 01, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »

The pdf problem gets curiouser and curiouser: if I go to webmail on Firefox I can download the pdfs but I can do nothing with my current email server! Once it's on my desktop, I'm fine. Damn!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #253 on: January 01, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »

I haven't made resolutions on January 1st for years. I generally resolve to do things at various times during the year and do them (or try to) when I resolve them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: January 01, 2009, 01:13:10 PM »

I think I got the latest upgrade on Adobe Reader and I haven't had any probs with pdfs at all.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #255 on: January 01, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »

I am still cooking.

Is there someone handy to take you out of the pot when you are done?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #256 on: January 01, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »

It has stayed very cold out today. I've had to go on the porch a couple of times today to add things to the recyle bin for setting out tomorrow, and it's SUCH a change from the way it's been for most of the last couple of weeks.

Matt H.

« Reply #257 on: January 01, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »

I began my afternoon watching an NCIS episode from Season 3. Zac Efron had an important part in the story, and it was funny seeing him in the show. The story concerned an abducted female Navy officer, and though the ending seemed a bit botched, it was an OK episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #258 on: January 01, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »

Better was the next episode I watched which involved the murder of two Korean wives of U.S. Marines and the disappearance of a third Korean wife. Some surprises in this one, and I enjoyed it a bit more than the first one.

Matt H.

« Reply #259 on: January 01, 2009, 01:20:14 PM »

And I concluded my afternoon viewing with a movie mystery, one of my all-time favorites: EVIL UNDER THE SUN. That superb use of Cole Porter music and the cast to die for all playing the hell out of their roles. As many times as I've watched it, I never fail to be completely delighted by everything about this film. And the mystery is one of Christie's finest puzzles.

Matt H.

« Reply #260 on: January 01, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »

I do plan to watch BODY HEAT on Blu-ray this evening. I'll have time for a second film, and I haven't decided yet what that will be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: January 01, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »

Just got the source material for what will hopefully be an upcoming Kritzerland limited edition CD - perhaps in March - it will need a bit of cleanup, but my mastering guy is really good at that - if he does what I hope he can, this will be a wonderful release.

singdaw

« Reply #262 on: January 01, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »

What wonderful news to start the year from DR Jeanne!!!!   :D

CONGRATULATIONS to you!  So you will be making a final one-way trek West in a matter of weeks??

singdaw

« Reply #263 on: January 01, 2009, 01:31:27 PM »

Good news also from bk.

Let it be so for all of us!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #264 on: January 01, 2009, 01:33:26 PM »

I guess I'll shave and shower and get ready to go to the partay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: January 01, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »

Having a Frederic Talgorn CD marathon - he's become one of my favorite film composers working today.

Kerry

« Reply #266 on: January 01, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »

And I concluded my afternoon viewing with a movie mystery, one of my all-time favorites: EVIL UNDER THE SUN. That superb use of Cole Porter music and the cast to die for all playing the hell out of their roles. As many times as I've watched it, I never fail to be completely delighted by everything about this film. And the mystery is one of Christie's finest puzzles.

I agree with you.  It fails to keep the Agatha Christie flavor of other movies, (like "Orient Expresss") but it is still a classic and a true favorite.
I like boat races.

FJL

« Reply #267 on: January 01, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »

What does it mean in Fiddler when they say "We know that when good fortune favors two such men it stands to reason we deserve it too!"

Matt H.

« Reply #268 on: January 01, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »

I agree with you.  It fails to keep the Agatha Christie flavor of other movies, (like "Orient Expresss") but it is still a classic and a true favorite.

Since each succeeding film after ORIENT EXPRESS had done lesser box-office than the previous one, I think there was a concerted effort to veer away a bit from the original tone particularly of ORIENT EXPRESS and NILE. This one is much more playful and overtly campy (which we saw a bit of in MIRROR).

Matt H.

« Reply #269 on: January 01, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »

Now, I have some things to work with on the computer and then will head down to proceed with the evening's entertainment.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up