Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: T-MINUS TWO TO 2009  (Read 38952 times)

Laura

Re: T-MINUS TWO TO 2009
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2008, 09:07:42 AM »

Thanks, Jose. It is a vegetable broth for DR Sandra, so no fat to skim off. I wondered if the flavors would blend together better.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2008, 09:08:40 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - I'm sorry you weren't able to make it in to the Van Gogh.  -If I had known you were coming into town, I could have walked you in as a Guest.

-And, yes, the placement of the Wyeth is a bit puzzling.  However, since the general sense of the galleries is "utilitarian", it sort of makes sense.  -And when the museum is not crowded, that small hallway doesn't seem so small.

Thank you for the offer, DR Jose.  And we actually overheard someone say that if one really wanted to get into Van Gogh, all one had to do was go up to a staff member and give them some sort of hard luck story about visiting from somewhere distant and that you hoped to see the exhibit, since the museum keeps a number of tickets available for staff on the side.

I kept meaning to ask someone, what was the helicopter and why was it partially hidden from view?

The helicopter is a sculpture, and it's only "partially hidden" right now due to the drapes that are part of the installation in the Atrium.

*And I also thought that corporate sponsors were given VIP tickets to the special exhibitions, but, again, you have to ask the right people at the right desk.

**If you happen to head back into town before Monday - when the Van Gogh closes, well... And there's a final Members Only viewing this weekend too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »

I've opened all of the mail and I have two bills to pay to be au courant with my 2008 receipts. One of the packages I opened hadKristin Chenowith's Christmas album, which I kind of am enjoying.  I hate it when she goes all Country and starts dropping G's and substituting "Ah'm" for "I'm" and I know she's from Oklahoma but i doubt she was ever that twangy.

And my Complete Oxford Jane Austen edition arrived. Yay!

I still have a lot of gifts to wrap. Oy.

Kristin's Christmas CD grew on me after a second play.  Even the non-holiday songs work for me, like "Sing A Song".

I am awaiting a package today that will include Aretha Franklin's Christmas outing along with Yo Ma Ma's.

It took me a second listen too to fully appreciate Kristin Chenoweth's CD.  Now, as for Aretha Franklin's "This Christmas", well... I'm still not sure what to make of the "narration". ;)  -But I really do like her rendition of "My Grown-Up Christmas Wish".
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »

Thanks for the answer and the tips, DR Jose.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »

Well, I have to head out to gripe and rant at a T-Mobile store.  I just received a $200 bill from them because I ported my phone number to a different carrier and T-Mobile is claiming I am still under contract.  I had bought a new phone from them back in January and returned it a week later, but corporate has no record that I returned it.  Fortunately, I keep all my paperwork and I have the return receipt.  But now I have to go back to the store and explain to a clerk the whole story and make sure they call corporate while I am there.  This should be fun...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2008, 09:18:12 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - Here's more info on the Bell-47D1 Helicopter.

-And, I guess, technically, it's not a "sculpture". It's an actual helicopter that is part of the Museum's Architecture & Design Collection.
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »

Happiest of Happy Birthdays to Dakota Celt!!!!

Movies: I loved Forbidden Planet.
Them! and The Crawling Eye scared the heck out of me.
PennyO

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2008, 09:18:44 AM »

! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR DAKOTA CELT  ! ! ! ! !
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »

And you're welcome, DR Dan (the Man).
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »

The Blob was super scary. What was the one with the infamous Pods??? That one, yipes!
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2008, 09:19:57 AM »

Thanks, Jose. It is a vegetable broth for DR Sandra, so no fat to skim off. I wondered if the flavors would blend together better.

Oh, a vegetable broth may taste better after resting overnight, especially if it has lots of aromatics (onions, carrots, celery, etc.).
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - Here's more info on the Bell-47D1 Helicopter.

-And, I guess, technically, it's not a "sculpture". It's an actual helicopter that is part of the Museum's Architecture & Design Collection.

I loved the Modern Design exhibit.  I want the red ribbon chair and the blue mushroom chair by the same designer.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »

And thanks for the MOMA website link, DR Jose--this will be fun to go through, too!
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »

Critter News:

DD Dixie is recovering nicely, and will be coming home this afternoon.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »

The pods thing was Invasion of the Body Snatchers, i think - and it was WAY scarier than the remake a few years ago.

Incredible Shrinking Man was unsettling, at least.
The Fly!!! Just great. AND I did love that remake with Jeff Goldblum. But the original was one heck of a great film, as I recall.
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »

And thanks for the MOMA website link, DR Jose--this will be fun to go through, too!

I'm amazed at how well "documented" MoMA's website is.  -And the online versions of the special exhibitions - including the Van Gogh - are very well constructed too.

*Btw, MoMA is also on Twitter - @MuseumModernArt
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2008, 09:23:25 AM »

Critter News:

DD Dixie is recovering nicely, and will be coming home this afternoon.

der Brucer

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2008, 09:24:20 AM »

"Help me! Help me!" screams the tiny voiced white-headed fly, stuck in a spider's web...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2008, 09:24:43 AM »

Gave me nightmares for decades...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »

I got a cash-flow chart for the whole season worked out yesterday, with the Artistic Director of the theater I'm working for. Grueling, and my eyes still hurt - but, yowza, what an accomplishment! We're just blazing away at this. Next - the dreaded 990 form...
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2008, 09:31:35 AM »

Off to Kroger  - think I'll take my copy of Kristin's Christmas CD for a second listen in the car.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »

I've opened all of the mail and I have two bills to pay to be au courant with my 2008 receipts. One of the packages I opened hadKristin Chenowith's Christmas album, which I kind of am enjoying.  I hate it when she goes all Country and starts dropping G's and substituting "Ah'm" for "I'm" and I know she's from Oklahoma but i doubt she was ever that twangy.

Kristin's Christmas CD grew on me after a second play.  Even the non-holiday songs work for me, like "Sing A Song".

I am awaiting a package today that will include Aretha Franklin's Christmas outing along with Yo Ma Ma's.

I never knew they were gay.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2008, 09:34:48 AM »

And here's Michael Kaiser's wonderful Op-Ed piece from yesterday's Washington Post.

No Bailout for the Arts?

While government bailouts are being offered or considered for financial institutions, the auto industry, homeowners, and so many other needy and worthy sectors, one group is quickly and rather quietly falling apart: our nation's arts organizations. In the past few months, dozens of opera companies, theater companies, dance organizations, museums and symphonies have either closed or suffered major cash crises.

As someone who has made a career out of fixing troubled organizations, I know that the problems faced by arts groups are often related to poor management and governance. I also know that the difficulty in improving productivity in the arts is a central cause of our financial challenges: It takes as much time to play Beethoven's Fifth Symphony today as it did when the piece was composed, and the same number of actors are required for "Hamlet" as when Shakespeare wrote the play more than 400 years ago. Unlike other industries, the arts cannot cover the cost of inflation by improving worker productivity.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »

OK... I need to head out for a bit to run some errands.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »

Among today's piles of mail were two envelopes from NY State Dept of Taxation for amounts they claim due on my 2003 and 2004 returns totalling about $6000! I am completely floored since i thought this was all handled two years ago. Of course, to complicate matters, my tax accountant is out of town till next Monday. Grrrrrrrrrrr!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »

I never knew they were gay.

And we never knew about you, either. :-*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:37:55 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2008, 09:56:08 AM »

Thanks for posting the link to that editorial, DR JoseSPiano.

singdaw

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »

Hoo and Ray for DD Dixie!!!   :)  :)  :)

[not to be confused with DD Dixie Bell...]

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »

***FINANCIAL WORKING-IT-OUT VIBE$***
for DR elmore3003!!!

singdaw

« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2008, 10:00:17 AM »

Yo Ma Ma's.

Wow.  The entirety of my middle school years is now flashing before me.                ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up