Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THOSE DARN ESKIMOS  (Read 21451 times)

Ginny

Re: THOSE DARN ESKIMOS
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »

How nice for Ginny to be asked what she likes for her party!

Yes, and yellow cake with caramel icing sounds good.  I don't believe I have ever had it.

DR Jane - was Sanders still in business when you lived in Michigan?  They were Detroit confectionary that had a bakery outlet in our neighborhood supermarket.  They made the best yellow cake with caramel icing!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »

I think my first foreign film would most likely have been The Red Balloon, which I saw at the Lido Theater the year it came out - it was on a double bill with Diabolique and we kids were allowed to stay for The Red Balloon but NOT for Diablolique - which means we paid to see a thirty-five minute short.  However, I have a dim memory of sneaking in to watch a little of Diabolique, but I wasn't that adept at reading the subtitles and I left.

THE RED BALLOON is a great film, but it's difficult for me to watch...for the same reason that I can't watch THE YEARLING or OLD YELLER.

I know it's silly and old garbage, but those kinds of films elict an emotional response from me that I prefer to avoid.

:'(

That's how I feel about another favorite French film, AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS. I was so broken by the end I can never watch it again.

Same reason I refuse to see THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS.

You can dream…or you can do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2008, 10:40:19 AM »

I think my first foreign film would most likely have been The Red Balloon, which I saw at the Lido Theater the year it came out - it was on a double bill with Diabolique and we kids were allowed to stay for The Red Balloon but NOT for Diablolique - which means we paid to see a thirty-five minute short.  However, I have a dim memory of sneaking in to watch a little of Diabolique, but I wasn't that adept at reading the subtitles and I left.

THE RED BALLOON is a great film, but it's difficult for me to watch...for the same reason that I can't watch THE YEARLING or OLD YELLER.

I know it's silly and old garbage, but those kinds of films elict an emotional response from me that I prefer to avoid.

I vividly remember watching The Yearling at home with my sister.  My parents were going out for the evening and had rented us a movie to entertain us while they were gone (We were old enough to stay at home alone, by small-town standards back then) My sister and I, both animal lovers, were nearly sick with sobbing by the time our parents got home.  We never watched it again.

We were forced to watch Old Yeller in class, I believe fourth grade.  The teacher seemed to think it was a treat.  I remember sitting at my desk with my head down, trying hard not to let the boys see that I had tears streaming down my cheeks.  I remember getting quite angry at my teacher for showing such a movie in school.

All this is to say, Druxy, that I quite agree with you.  I now avoid sad-animal stories like the plague.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »

That's how I feel about another favorite French film, AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS. I was so broken by the end I can never watch it again.

Ditto.  I also don't think I will ever be able to watch Sophie's Choice again.  I watched it once and it haunted me for months.  Now having a child, I don't think I could stand it. 

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2008, 10:42:10 AM »

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »

I would watch at least a dozen French films each year.

In recent years I have loved :
"A Very Long Engagement"
"The Butterfly"
"Etre & Avoir" (Really a documentary)
"Les Miserables"  (The Jean Paul Belmondo version)1995
"Children of the Marsh"
"The Triplets of Belville"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2008, 10:47:34 AM »

"My" first foreign film would also have been "The Red Balloon".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around The Red Balloon and Les Diaboliques being on the same bill.  Aside from both films coming from France, what could they possibly have in common?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »

... so let the coronation begin .. oops, wait, the King is missing, so pause the crowning 'til another day ...

Yes, our DR strawclaw is probably in a pastry stupor this morning.  He's doing holiday baking with this mom this weekend.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »

... hmmmm, I could really mess with her .... hide all of her gingerbread costume stuff, and she won't get to do the gingerbread dance ... it would teach her not to mess with the costumer ..... hmmmmmm, it wouldn't mess up the show, cause we were missing a gingerbread dancer for a school show the other day -- 7 or 8 gingerbread -men - give or take a few, the audience doesn't know the difference, and they have no lines, so it doesn't mess up the story or the show .... hmmmmmm ... or just lock her in the costume room so she misses her gingerbread cue .... it's not nice to mess with the crew .... hmmmmmmmm ....

....the little devil on my shoulder is saying "Do it! Do it! while the little angel is saying "Karen, how could you -- and a holiday show at that! ..... "Do it! Do it!" ....

Or you could "alter" the costume and make her look (1) as if she's been shot, (2) as if she's been stabbed, or (3) as if she has been hitting the sauce all night and has puked on herself.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2008, 11:18:39 AM »

BK Trivia Question!  (That maybe not even BK will know the answer to).  I'm reviewing a new 2 DVD set of Mythbusters episodes, and one contained a very interesting little tidbit of information.  Does anyone know the connection between Mythbusters and our very own BK?

Are you saying that BK is a myth?

;D

Surely NOT....BK is a "mythter" at all times!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »

OK, recipe time, since der B mentioned them...

O.P.O. Grits

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole-grain grits
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Bring the water, milk, cream, butter and salt to a low boil.

Add the grits, stirring rapidly on medium heat.  Stir and watch for 20 minutes, being careful not to let the grits stick.

Stir in the cheese, pour the grits into a crock pot or double boiler, and continue cooking for at least 1 hour.

Makes four servings.

Please, when attempting this, do not get confused and make all the measurements 1 cup.  The results could be less than desirable.

I was gonna say...one cup of heavy cream and one cup of butter is gonna lead to a heart attack!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2008, 11:21:48 AM »

How nice for Ginny to be asked what she likes for her party!

Yes, and yellow cake with caramel icing sounds good.  I don't believe I have ever had it.

Most especially in "layers"....a caramel layer cake is one of the most truly sinfully delectable concoctions EVER!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2008, 11:23:46 AM »

T.O.D.

I am absolutely stunned to learn that BK has found a French film from France!  Perhaps that is the trouble I have with French films; too many of them that I have seen came from Japan.

However, I do like THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2008, 11:25:07 AM »

DR MATTH - in BELLS OF ST MARY'S - the young boy who boxed with Ingrid Bergman is Richard Tyler.

He played the title role in Moss Hart's CHRISTOPHER BLAKE on Broadway.  He also appeared in a few episodes of MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY as Gina's boyfriend when Annette was making her appearances on the show in 1959.

Richard was also in ATOMIC SUBMARINE.  He was a bodybuilder and wrote a book about bodybuilding during the 1960's.  He is now a chiropractor and was the head of Gov. Arnold S.'s commission on the practice when AS first became governor of California.

And has he dated M. Barnum?
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2008, 11:25:47 AM »

Yes, I'm back home after a bizzy morning:

Went to the post office;
Dropped clothes off at my favorite cleaners;
Had my car washed;
Made a Long's Drugstore stop;
Went to La Farine for ham/cheese puff pastry, a cinnamon-currant loaf and some cookies;
Went to Peet's and bought three coffees;
Went to Miss Erin's salon where I delivered two coffees and the cinnamon-currant loaf;
Stayed and had my hair cut;
Went to the bank and made a "withdrawal"; and
And now I am typing on this here computer on my very first day of Christmas vacation!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:13:49 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »

Life is GOOD!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2008, 11:29:46 AM »

Did some more polishing of the liner notes and resent them.  It's still pretty gray out, but the sun is attempting to shine through, so I'll probably wait to do the long jog - perhaps till noon.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »

The read-through yesterday afternoon of Act I of TANGLED WEBS went nicely.

Here's what we sent out to a few places as a sort-of limited-release press release.

An informal read-through of the first act of a new musical, Tangled Webs, took place on Friday December 12, in Manhattan.

The musical is about an elegant Park Avenue woman (played in the read-through by Rebecca Luker) who's lost her husband and starts her life over by going to work at a producer's office.  She discovers a young writer's work that she feels passionate about, and she will stop at nothing to get the show to the Broadway stage. 

The music is by Skip Kennon (who first worked with Rebecca Luker when she played the female lead in Kennon’s musical Time and Again at the Old Globe in San Diego). The lyricist is Ellen Schwartz (The Trapped Family Singers,  the Mae  West musical Come Up and See Me).  The bookwriter is Bill Connington, who just won awards for his show ZOMBIE at the N.Y. Fringe Festival this past summer.  The musical is being adapted from a story called “WebCast” by Fred Landau (who was the bookwriter on Kennon’s musical version of The Last Starfighter).

In addition to Rebecca Luker, the characters at the read-through  were read by Steve Berger (Broadway’s Pajama Game and Into the Woods),  Jan Leigh Herndon (Broadway’s La Cage Aux Folles and A Chorus Line), Jesse JP Johnson (Altar Boyz at New World Stages, Broadway's Glory Days), Neal Mayer (Forbidden Broadway, Broadway's Les Miserables), Sean Montgomery (The Last Starfighter at NYMF),  Catherine Remmert (also in Kennon’s musical of The Last Starfighter),  Leenya Rideout (Broadway’s Company, Cyrano de Bergerac and Cabaret), and Ric Ryder (Broadway’s Blood Brothers, Grease and the Luker-Bierko Music Man revival).

Songs in the read-through included "Not Young" (sung by Rebecca Luker), "You Never Know" (Steve Berger, Jesse JP Johnson and company), "My Song" (Jesse JP Johnson), "My World Began This Morning" (Ric Ryder), "Not Young - Reprise" (Rebecca Luker),  "I Heard His Music" (Rebecca Luker), "No Time for Love" (Leenya Rideout with Ric Ryder and company), "What Else Did You Expect?" (Neal Mayer, Jesse JP Johnson, Ric Ryder, Rebecca Luker, Leenya Rideout).  Rebecca Luker also performed two of her character's solo numbers from Act II, "Flying" and "I'll Seal it with a Kiss."

How very exciting!  But who is this Fred person who wrote the original story?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »

Miss Karen - The chocolate I buy is too classy to have wrappers.  So it would just have been an empty box by the time it got to you.

Don't worry, Miss Karen, when I send you chocolates, it will be a Whitman Sampler; so you will also have a list of each candy that is not included.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »

It is cold here in New York (though not as cold as it is in Iowa or Minnesota or Wisconsin). Anthony is off to dance class and I'm off to the grocery store.

We will have a tuna cassarole tonight and then we will watch Miss Pettigrew

Oh yum, a tuna casserole sounds perfect on a cold day like this one.
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »

O.P.O. Grits

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole-grain grits

Add the grits, stirring rapidly on medium heat.  Stir and watch for 20 minutes, being careful not to let the grits stick.

Stir in the cheese, pour the grits into a crock pot or double boiler, and continue cooking for at least 1 hour.

Makes four servings.

Please, when attempting this, do not get confused and make all the measurements 1 cup.  The results could be less than desirable.

I was gonna say...one cup of heavy cream and one cup of butter is gonna lead to a heart attack!!!
Do you mean to say that you Southern boys don't eat like this all the time?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »

Congratulations on the Reading DR FJL (& Skip). 
Thank you for sharing the information. 

Will the recording arrive in time for my birthday?
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »

Ditto.  I also don't think I will ever be able to watch Sophie's Choice again.  I watched it once and it haunted me for months.  Now having a child, I don't think I could stand it. 

When I was a kid, they used to show THE YEARLING every year on Thanksgiving.  I hated that movie.

And don't forget, WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »

Did some more polishing of the liner notes and resent them.  It's still pretty gray out, but the sun is attempting to shine through, so I'll probably wait to do the long jog - perhaps till noon.

Oh, BK, there is no reason to resent the liner notes.  Just throw them away and start over, if you feel that strongly about it.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2008, 12:08:37 PM »

Congratulations on the Reading DR FJL (& Skip). 
Thank you for sharing the information. 

Will the recording arrive in time for my birthday?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY DEAR, DEAR FRIEND FROM AUSTRIA!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »

O.P.O. Grits

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole-grain grits

Makes four servings.

So, what is the correct recipe?  I thought that salt was the only measurement for which you needed to be careful.
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »

Happy birthday to Tomovoz!

And I'll wish it to you again tomorrow

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »

DR Cilla, I expect you know this already....I don't remember who suggested a shag carpet but I highly suggest you don't get one with cats.  They are a complete pain to clean up fur balls & everything else a pet might accidentally leave in the carpet. :P

Well I carried the 32 pound boxes of floor up to the car...10 trips up the stairs, I was actually quite proud that I broke a sweat but my heart wasn't pounding like it would have been a few months ago.

I was very happy that Home Depot took them all back including the open box.  I also took back the table saw and the high quality blade I needed to do the laminate.

So, after the return was complete I went to the carpet department.  I'm on the list for a measure (they'll call in a week or so) and found the perfect carpet for the room.   I brought home the sample and it goes well with the paint, with the wall paper I got for the hallway and with the lined  insulated curtains that my mom gave me to cover the slifing glass doors.   I haven't actually ordered the carpet so I can still change my mind but I think this will be just right.  And have no fear, DR Jane, it's not shag.

What a relief.  It'll take a month to 6 weeks but

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2008, 12:25:13 PM »

Thank you Tom & Fred
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up