Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OFF  (Read 28461 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE DAY OFF
« Reply #360 on: November 07, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »

So now I must comment...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #361 on: November 07, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »

Very distressed to read this morning that Fox will be moving BONES to Thursday night at 8 in January once AMERICAN IDOL comes back on the air. HOUSE will move to Mondays at 8.

Argh! :(

That negates my capacity to record it as I've two other shows recording at that time.  Oh, for a DVR that records 4 programs simultaneously!!!

You could get two DVRs, like me. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #362 on: November 07, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »

And I would LIKE to get the complete works of J.S. Bach in mp3 for importing into my iPod, but it's 500 Euros.   :-\

Have you tried your local library or your library's Inter-Library Loan department?

George

« Reply #363 on: November 07, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »

bk - As for gas stations doing the authorization thing... Don't blame Shell, Exxon, BP, etc.  Blame all the criminals(!) who fill up their tanks and then drive away. The figures for that loss/theft are still astonishingly high. I think it's still in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's more of a security measure for the gas station owners.

Actually, in this day and age, I don't see how it's possible to fill up a tank and drive away, since you have to pay before you pump.  There is NO excuse to do what they did when the customer is using a debit card and you're going inside to do the transaction.  I understand when you use the machines they do what they do.  But most gas stations who do debit cards charge exactly what you tell them to charge and if you use less, they give you the difference back in cash - which is the ONLY way that should work. 

You get change from a debit card transaction? I've never heard of nor had that happen (at least to me).

*And in most cases, the pre-authorizations fall off as soon as the charge is processed and cleared, so it's always better to fill up in the morning so that the charges clear that evening instead of hanging over a day or two.

I once had a pre-authorization charge of $50 on my debit card that lasted almost a week and the actual charge went through in just a couple of days! :P I read that if you pay at the pump, there is a hold put on the card...up to the maximum allowed by law.  What I do (when I'm able to, especially when I don't get my gas at Costco) is tell the person inside that I would like to fill up and then pay inside with my card.  There is no hold on my account if you don't pre-pay.

George

« Reply #364 on: November 07, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

Jo Loesser always makes me laugh, God love her! When I did GREENWILLOW with her for the Utah Festival Opera in 1997, I had the best time. The score was wonderful and so was the production. Riding around Logan, Utah, with Jo was just the icing on the cake. She just called me about doing a quick chart of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" for her and Michael Feinstein, so that's my job for the next couple of days.

Cool!  I love that song. :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #365 on: November 07, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »

bk - As for gas stations doing the authorization thing... Don't blame Shell, Exxon, BP, etc.  Blame all the criminals(!) who fill up their tanks and then drive away. The figures for that loss/theft are still astonishingly high. I think it's still in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's more of a security measure for the gas station owners.

Actually, in this day and age, I don't see how it's possible to fill up a tank and drive away, since you have to pay before you pump.  There is NO excuse to do what they did when the customer is using a debit card and you're going inside to do the transaction.  I understand when you use the machines they do what they do.  But most gas stations who do debit cards charge exactly what you tell them to charge and if you use less, they give you the difference back in cash - which is the ONLY way that should work. 

You get change from a debit card transaction? I've never heard of nor had that happen (at least to me).

Well, you can get $20/40 cash back when you use a debit card at many check-out counters

der Brucer
At the store, you can get up to $50 back.  Which is bad news for us checkers, when we've just opened up our till on a Sunday morning and every customer in line has a hangover from the night before and empty pockets.  Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #366 on: November 07, 2008, 07:53:48 PM »

The next one had an impossible young John Rubenstein as the guest star and Louise Latham playing his mother.
John Rubinstein's father was, of course, the accomplished pianist, Arthur.  His mother, Nela, also had a claim to fame, however.  She was an accomplished cook, specializing in the foods of her native Poland, and at the urging of editor Judith Jones (who was working with Arthur on his memoirs) wrote Nela's Cookbook, considered one of the best books on the food of Poland (now, sadly, out of print).

Which, of course, raises the question:  How is it that John Rubinstein has never had more meat on his bones?

John Rubinstein is of course most famous for being my nephew's soccer coach in L.A.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #367 on: November 07, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »

...I avoid all the angst by filling up at the pump at the local Safeway - $1 pre-authorizarion and then only the exact amount post-pumping (also get a $0.03/gallon discount using my Safeway Club card)

der Brucer

But at $0.75 a puff, I do NOT fill my tires at Safeway.

Needless to say, this is the ONLY reason der B is allowed to go anywhere near Safeway!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #368 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »

what a day!  I thought everything was going to be pleasant today, but it was not to be.  It began when I walked down to our fully carpeted basement and put my foot in a puddle at the bottom of the stairs.  Apparently the torrential rains last night left us a leaky basement and a partially soaked carpet. 
Then as I was getting ready to run to the store to rent a RugDoctor, I checked my cell phone to find a message saying that Toby's doctor has the flu and needs to cancel his appointment,  When I called back I talked to an absolute idiot who kept referring to Toby as a "she" and tried to schedule me an appointment with the wrong doctor for the 19th, which is just too long to wait.   Plus I wanted to see Toby's doctor, not whoever they happened to have available.  I gave up on her and e-mailed my doctor directly.  Her assistant e-mailed me back very promptly and got me in with the right doctor next Friday.  So that is that.

I had to cancel my lunch plans to deal with the carpet, and I rescheduled with our dinner guest because we will be spending the evening ripping up carpet and replacing the pad.  This afternoon I will continue to keep soaking up as much of the water as I can with the wet/dry vac.

Ugh

:o I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

Been there, done that. :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #369 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »

John Rubinstein is of course most famous for being my nephew's soccer coach in L.A.
Well, that goes without saying, of course!

George

« Reply #370 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »

Jrand - I tried to link to the way they handled the billing requirments for the musical NINE, but the link threw us into widescreen.

DR FJL - do you know about tiny url? 
http://tinyurl.com/

On the old board, if you put the codes [ url ] and [ /url] around the link, it would shorten the displayed link.  That doesn't seem to be the case, now. :-\

George

« Reply #371 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »

A couple of you expressed interest in my "lounge" reworking of "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle."  Here it is, hot off the Alesis hard drive recording session:

http://jeffreykauffman.net/frances.mp3

Cool.  Who's the singer...or should I know?

Ummm.....that would be me.  Hence the description as "my 'lounge' reworking."   ;D

I was thinking that. ;)

George

« Reply #372 on: November 07, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »

Repeating my post from last night:

What is everyone getting at the DDD sale?  MattH, I'd especially love a list from you of "big" releases over the past few months--I always forget what stuff has come out.

I haven't really thought about this yet.  Do the rules for using the code specify that the title(s) need to be available or can pre-pub items be ordered with the code?

Usually no pre-releases can be ordered with the discount.

I was afraid of that. :-\

George

« Reply #373 on: November 07, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »

If a company is doing something for the first time - wouldn't it be the "Inaugaral Whatsit'?  And then when they did it the next year it would be the "Second Annual Whatsit"?

There is a shopping center announcing its First Annual Holiday Whatsit.

That's like when something is "new and improved."  How can it be new AND improved? ???

George

« Reply #374 on: November 07, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »

And that concludes my Friday Frenzy. :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #375 on: November 07, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »

Drinks went well and not too long since I had work to do.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #376 on: November 07, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »

The discount code at DVD PLANET is something like 25OFFSALE or simply SALE.

Matt H.

« Reply #377 on: November 07, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »

I watched 3 more complete episodes of HAWAII FIVE-O. In the latter two (the first two of a three part arc), Harold Gould and Luther Adler play father and son of a crime family who declare war on McGarrett. Very suspenseful episodes.

George

« Reply #378 on: November 07, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »

LOST GETS A PREMIERE DATE!

;D

If the link doesn't work, here's the article:

Kristin Dos Santos, eonline
Sat Nov 8, 12:35 AM EST

Our prayers have been answered! ABC has just confirmed to me that Lost has received an official premiere date for season five, and even better, it's a smidgen earlier than expected.

On Wednesday, Jan. 21, Lost returns with a three-hour (you heard me, three-hour!) premiere. "Because You Left" and "The Lie" will air back-to-back, following a recap of the first four seasons (for the very few people who aren't already addicted and/or obsessed).

So what does this mean for ABC's Wednesday-night lineup?

After the Lost extravaganza premiere, the series will continue on Wednesday nights at 9. Reps at ABC have told me that a decision on new time slots for Private Practice and possibly Pushing Daisies (pleeease?) will be announced next week.

Episodes three through six are as follows: "Jughead," "The Little Prince," "The Place Is Death" and "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham."

This news comes on the heels of the casting scoop from earlier today about the part of a Lost man's lover.

By chance, anyone excited to find out where the Island went?

© 2008 E! Entertainment Television, Inc. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:22:37 PM by George »

Matt H.

« Reply #379 on: November 07, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »

So, I have watched 10 episodes of the show today leaving 14 more to watch. Since KUNG FU PANDA came today, I'll likely put aside HAWAII FIVE-O tomorrow and work on PANDA since it comes out on Sunday. Then, I'll go back to HAWAII on Sunday and see how close I can come to finishing it.

Matt H.

« Reply #380 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »

Also in the mail today was A STEPHEN COLBERT CHRISTMAS tied up in a gorgeous red, white, and blue bow. It doesn't come out until November 23rd so it went on the bottom of the pile.

Matt H.

« Reply #381 on: November 07, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »

I sped through yesterday's and today's episodes of AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing there of interest. Didn't get to see the previews since President-elect Obama came on with a news conference right before the previews were slated to run.

JMK

« Reply #382 on: November 07, 2008, 08:23:06 PM »

Just placed my first DDD order--got the complete Get Smart, Baraka on Blu-ray, the Peck Collection (yes, double dipping on Mockinbird, but I love Mirage and am fond of Arabesque), and the latest Looney Tune Golden Collection.  Saved about $65.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #383 on: November 07, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »

Then I watched tonight's GHOST WHISPERER. This was the episode I was simply dreading since reading a spoiler this past summer. The spoiler was indeed true.

:(

JMK

« Reply #384 on: November 07, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »

Then I watched tonight's GHOST WHISPERER. This was the episode I was simply dreading since reading a spoiler this past summer. The spoiler was indeed true.

Proactiv didn't cure her acne problem?   ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #385 on: November 07, 2008, 08:32:15 PM »

what happened to our DR Ginny?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #386 on: November 07, 2008, 08:32:53 PM »

Killed David Conrad.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #387 on: November 07, 2008, 08:36:58 PM »

Killed David Conrad.

I had read about the rumors, but WHY??

He's so cute! ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #388 on: November 07, 2008, 08:39:54 PM »

I sped through yesterday's and today's episodes of AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing there of interest. Didn't get to see the previews since President-elect Obama came on with a news conference right before the previews were slated to run.

Today a corpse was stolen from the morgue, a man's been arrested for the murder on God knows what logical forensic evidence, several people are playing Nancy Drew to find the real killer, and the gay boys who can't/won't consummate their relationship once again are on the outs because one of them is pissed off because of dirty politics in the college election. DR MattH, why do you even care? This isidiocy of the worst order is beginning to make PASSIONS look intelligent.!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #389 on: November 07, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »

Killed David Conrad.

I had read about the rumors, but WHY??

He's so cute! ;)

I've become quite apathetic and stopped watching the show, but i suspect he got bored having so little to do on the program. I loved Disc 2 of CRANFORD; what a lot of great performances and high-flown emotions.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up