Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OFF  (Read 28460 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE DAY OFF
« Reply #330 on: November 07, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »

A couple of you expressed interest in my "lounge" reworking of "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle."  Here it is, hot off the Alesis hard drive recording session:

http://jeffreykauffman.net/frances.mp3

Cool.  Who's the singer...or should I know?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #331 on: November 07, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »

Repeating my post from last night:

What is everyone getting at the DDD sale?  MattH, I'd especially love a list from you of "big" releases over the past few months--I always forget what stuff has come out.

I haven't really thought about this yet.  Do the rules for using the code specify that the title(s) need to be available or can pre-pub items be ordered with the code?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #332 on: November 07, 2008, 06:10:20 PM »

"This is a major issue," Obama told reporters at his news conference Friday. It's generated more interest on his Web site than any other topic. But 10-year-old daughter Malia has allergies, so the family is looking for a low-allergy dog.

"We have two criteria that need to be reconciled," said Obama. "One is that Malia is allergic, so it has to be hypoallergenic."

Unfortunately, there is really no such thing as an allergy-free furry animal.

I nominate the Portugese Water Dog: (with a different hairdo)

I ones I have known were cute, but difficult to train. 

AKC is pushing a poodle, talk about bad haircuts.

I'm not sure they will be able to find an allergy free, or allergy free enough, puppy from a rescue group.  It would be horrible if they get a pooch & can't keep it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #333 on: November 07, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »

A couple of you expressed interest in my "lounge" reworking of "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle."  Here it is, hot off the Alesis hard drive recording session:

http://jeffreykauffman.net/frances.mp3

Cool.  Who's the singer...or should I know?

Ummm.....that would be me.  Hence the description as "my 'lounge' reworking."   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #334 on: November 07, 2008, 06:16:02 PM »

Repeating my post from last night:

What is everyone getting at the DDD sale?  MattH, I'd especially love a list from you of "big" releases over the past few months--I always forget what stuff has come out.

I haven't really thought about this yet.  Do the rules for using the code specify that the title(s) need to be available or can pre-pub items be ordered with the code?

Usually no pre-releases can be ordered with the discount.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #335 on: November 07, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »

Intermission... Hmmm... Hmmm....

That is all for now. 
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #336 on: November 07, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »

BK - Great.  We'll see you then on Thanksgiving at 3.  You'll know a few of the people who'll be here, like Larry and Milla.  The claustrophobic aspect shouldn't be a problem during dinner; I don't think it'll get really really tight until Bill and Maureen arrive for dessert at about 6.

Will you have time to socialize on other occasions or will the benefit be an every-waking-hour kind of time commitment?  (And do you know what part of town you're staying in yet?)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #337 on: November 07, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »

The more the merrier!  That's what I always say!  Especially when there are lots HHW'ers present!

Intense sturm und drang on SuperNanny tonight.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #338 on: November 07, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »

DR JMK is correct.....you cannot use the codes for Pre Release orders.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #339 on: November 07, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »

Intermission from WHAT,  DRJOSE?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #340 on: November 07, 2008, 06:36:30 PM »

DR derBRUCER that list itself is annoying.   For me....a couple of the items on your addendum should have been advance up the scale.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #341 on: November 07, 2008, 06:36:52 PM »

But it's not rocket science, after all.

George

« Reply #342 on: November 07, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »

Topic of the Day:

In my CD player right now:  the movie soundtrack to "Little Shop of Horrors" and "Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture 'good night, and good luck.'"  Dianne Reeves sings on this second disc and she's wonderful.  She performed here in Olympia at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts and put on an incredible show.

In my DVD player (when I get home):  the region 2/PAL DVD from England of "The Seven Per-cent Solution," featuring the song "I Never Do Anything Twice," written by Stephen Sondheim. ;)

On my DVR:  various things, not yet watched.

Jennifer

« Reply #343 on: November 07, 2008, 06:38:34 PM »

Is it common everywhere in the US to pre-pay for gas?

Here we have a) those little devices that you swipe for a particular gas station.

or b) credit card you put it at the pump.

I don't believe you pay before unless it's at night.

George

« Reply #344 on: November 07, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »

Calling DR George...    :)

Thanks, I just ordered this.  I actually had it "saved for later" in my Amazon shopping cart and forgot to actually pre-order it (it won't be released until next Tuesday).  However, what's disappointing is that they only sing five songs on it.  Great songs, but only five. :-\

I was hoping that I could use the DeepDiscount discount code, but even without the code, it's cheaper there than at Amazon, so I that's where I ordered it. :)

George

« Reply #345 on: November 07, 2008, 06:41:35 PM »

T.O.D.:
CD:
WICKED - 5th Anniversary Edition, Disc Two; love those Japanese tracks.

The entire Japanese recording of Wicked is very good, too. ;D

FJL

« Reply #346 on: November 07, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »

IF PEOPLE CAN RESERVE THE DATE TUESDAY DECEMBER 2 FOR DINNER FOR AN HHW GET-TOGETHER WITH BK:  can we aim for that as a date for as many HHW-ers in the NYC area as possible to get together, at a relatively reasonably-priced restaurant - likely in the theater area.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #347 on: November 07, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »

DR JENNIFER several of the service stations in my area are Pay First....but I go to Casey's General Store where I can pump the gasoline and then pay....to prevent the frustrations that several DR's have talked about today.  I am afraid that one morning I will pull into Casey's and see the DREADED "Pay Before You Pump" notice.....

My fingers are crossed.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #348 on: November 07, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »

TOD - CD(car) - audiobook:  American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld, read by Kimberly Farr.  This novel's main character is based on Laura Bush and she's about to give up her school librarian career to marry Charlie Blackwell.
...Who, from that point on, will tell everyone about the ten worst outfits in her closet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #349 on: November 07, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »

DR Jennifer when we first began pumping our own gas (not Oregon, everywhere else we lived except New Jersey) you always had to go inside to pay, sometimes after-sometimes first.  Then it seemed you always had to pay first, until the credit cards could be done at the pump.  Now, unless we pay with cash, my guess when we travel is we used the credit card swipe more often than the pay inside method.

Why does paying at night make a difference as to where you pay?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #350 on: November 07, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »

Here's a question that I should think is difficult to answer:  How come, in this horrible economic crisis, with people not able to make mortgage payments and people expecting to be helped to do same by this bailout package (funny, I received no such help when I was forced to sell my house during my legal problems), how come, I ask, are people eating out every single night in every sort of restaurant imaginable?  I go to restaurants and am astonished to see families of six eating out, and doing so consistently - does no parent cook anymore?  And these aren't inexpensive restaurants - there are no inexpensive restaurants any more and these people aren't eating light and the average meal with no extras is at least ten bucks for just the food part, so their spending over sixty or seventy dollars every time they eat out.  And that's ONE meal. 
Home economists first taught us that cooking real food is a chore, and not worth the time.  The craft of cooking died out.

Industrialists stepped in and created television dinners, which spawned the entire frozen convenience foods industry.  Soon everyone was eating pre-made leftovers that had only to be rewarmed in the microwave.

Then someone had this ingenious idea, to have an entire network devoted to cooking shows.  Everyone developed a hankering for food that wasn't pre-made glop.

Since no-one knew how to cook any more, going to restaurants has become the sole recourse if you want something that is actually food.

It's good for the economy.  But only if you leave a tip.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #351 on: November 07, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »

'night

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #352 on: November 07, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »

Time for to go to bed......except I just for some reason thought of the line in a movie preview that caused the biggest laugh I have ever heard - that wasn't directed at a comedy....

The movie was THE CAR....and the preview was met with derision from the first frame.....but by the time we reached this line, the mirth was uncontained.....

"Oh my God, Wade....The Car....is in....the garage!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #353 on: November 07, 2008, 07:36:56 PM »

MR BK must be knee deep in Demy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #354 on: November 07, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »

Not exactly as I remember it....and my favorite line is not here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFWea3Eu97E&feature=related

MBarnum

« Reply #355 on: November 07, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »

I don't believe I came across any "pay first" gas stations in Los Angeles. I just alwasy paid at the pump by instering my credit or debit card into the machine. Then joyously pumped away...once I figured out how to put the darn nozzle into the gas tank thing.

MBarnum

« Reply #356 on: November 07, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »

DR S Woody White, you must live in a completely different world then me. Everyone I know cooks at home and always has...not that we don't go out dinner on occasion.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #357 on: November 07, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »

The next one had an impossible young John Rubenstein as the guest star and Louise Latham playing his mother.
John Rubinstein's father was, of course, the accomplished pianist, Arthur.  His mother, Nela, also had a claim to fame, however.  She was an accomplished cook, specializing in the foods of her native Poland, and at the urging of editor Judith Jones (who was working with Arthur on his memoirs) wrote Nela's Cookbook, considered one of the best books on the food of Poland (now, sadly, out of print).

Which, of course, raises the question:  How is it that John Rubinstein has never had more meat on his bones?

George

« Reply #358 on: November 07, 2008, 07:47:56 PM »

I wonder if DR George has a copy of MARY'S INCREDIBLE DREAM--a Mary Tyler Moore song and dance CBS special about the history of mankind and its Armageddon.  The Manhattan Transfer were among the special guest stars (yep, TMT + MTM.)

Yes, I have a videotape copy of a copy of a copy, etc., of "M.I.D." 

I am hoping beyond hope that this The Manhattan Transfer's summer replacement TV series are someday officially released on DVD...someday.

George

« Reply #359 on: November 07, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »

I've finally caught up with all the posts...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up