Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RAIN IN SPAIN  (Read 22574 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE RAIN IN SPAIN
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2005, 10:30:56 AM »

NINCOMPOOP!  I know a few people I'd ascribe that term to.

We've even worked together with some of them!

DRDanise, the nearest hospital from Rockefeller Center is St Clare's, which is at 51st Street and 9th Avenue.  

DRBen, B&N is at 82nd and Broadway.  So far, it's been a lovely day, no celebrities, but a lot of folk heading over to Central Park to see the Christo/Jean-Claude "The Gates."  The word-of-mouth is that it's spectacular!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 10:32:39 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2005, 11:38:27 AM »

Hmmmm watching SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET.  Well looking at it.

Yesterday I got the WIDESCREEN version of FUNNY FACE.  I like this movie, expecially the fashion shoots and the wonderful scenery in Paris!

And when Audrey does her Pixie dancing, I always think of Mary Tyler Moore.

NEtWORK was on late last night.  Oh my!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2005, 11:38:50 AM »

I am scanning photos for the theatre site.  Sometimes technology is slow.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2005, 11:52:31 AM »

I'm not sure if I missed some more tsuris yesterday regarding E&T people, but I will say this.  I received an AOL IM from someone named "HHW39625" (I may have the numbers wrong, sorry, I'm still quite sick and my brain is not functioning).  But the message read:

You were not missed and no one wants you back.  Just go away.

Now if this person thought I would slink away in horror and/or fear, they are sadly mistaken.  But now I am wondering if others are getting these IMs which I must assume are unauthorized since several H/Ks emailed me privately about my recent illness.  I was simply too tired yesterday to post about this, but have decided this person (I use the term loosely) needs to be "outed."  And if that person is reading this-here post, I will press the "notify AOL" button if I receive any more "communiques."

Re:  radio.  Well, Dear Spouse Betsy is being courted rather heavily by a local PDX station for a rather lucrative new talk show that may end up, in the best of all possible worlds, getting national syndication.  She is in fact meeting with the producer and a potential co-host this afternoon.

Re:  Exotic Foods.  I've only had Ethiopian once, and it didn't agree with me (maybe it sent the IM, LOL).  We actually all love Thai food--it is in fact one of the few genres that my fussy eater 8 year old son will jump at the chance to eat (along with Kentucky Fried Chicken--go figure).  There are some truly fabulous Thai restaurants in Portland.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2005, 11:58:51 AM »

JMK - that seems very odd, since you haven't been away all that much.  

Don't you hate when food disagrees with you?  I'll say something and then the food will just disagree with it, just for the HELL of it.

I'll be eating my pizza at some point in the next two hours.

I've dropped new pages off at Margaret's and will await her call.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2005, 12:00:36 PM »

I'm having a pizza for lunch, too.  I have become addicted to "Boca Supreme" pizzas, with soy pepperoni and sausage.  They're really spicy and have been helping me break up this mucus attack I'm suffering (too much information?  sorry).

I post at RATM, too.  I've just learned to ignore Newport.  It makes it all so much more pleasant.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2005, 01:04:18 PM »

I'm not sure if I missed some more tsuris yesterday regarding E&T people, but I will say this.  I received an AOL IM from someone named "HHW39625" (I may have the numbers wrong, sorry, I'm still quite sick and my brain is not functioning).  But the message read:

How rude!! :o No one deserves that.  And having met you (and your lovely wife, Betsy), certainly not you.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2005, 01:04:51 PM »

Now I'm done with work.  To home and pizza! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2005, 01:30:38 PM »

My pizza: Pepperoni, mushrooms, and a plain slice.  So yummilicious I can't even tell you.  From my local pizzeria, Quickies, one of the best in town.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2005, 01:39:45 PM »

DR JMK - I would say that is from some "guest" - how strange.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2005, 01:41:13 PM »

Well curiosity is a terrible thing.

DR JOSE - never never NEVER mention this again.  :P

Here is a link to a description of the precedure you saw the news story about.

No pictures, but not for the faint of heart.  :-X

http://www.menessentials.com/tips/banana_hammock.html

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2005, 01:59:04 PM »

Oh my!   Ruby Wax was on E! doing the Red Carpet for the BAFTA's.    ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 02:00:01 PM by JRand54 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2005, 02:12:25 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

NINCOMPOOP!

Re Thelma Ritter - can you name one character woman working today who is her equal or who is as unique as her?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »

Thelma Ritter remains, to this date, my favorite character actress of all time! I doubt she can ever be equalled.

Whether it's her Birdie wisecracking about Eve's story lacking only the element of hounds nipping at her tail, or whether her Clancy is bawling out Jane Froman for having looks, talent and a man who loves her while she sits around and mopes, or whether her Aggie is fluffing her hair one more time hoping for another compliment from Cleve Van Valen -- and all the wonderful other characters she played in between -- there's been no one on the screen like her since her last movie.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 02:28:14 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2005, 02:21:44 PM »

Welcome six GUESTS!  We're talkin' about exotic foods and PIZZA.  And NINCOMPOOP!

My point was that there is not one character woman who even approaches the league of Thelma Ritter or any of the great character dames of the thirties, forties, and fifties.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2005, 02:25:16 PM »

I agree DR RON.....

There is one actress...although she was a different type....who I thought always played great character roles....Colleen Dewhurst.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2005, 02:26:15 PM »

Thelma Ritter has no modern equivalent.

Speaking of modern, just finished a film on one of the HBOs entitled "All the Real Girls" from 2003. Zooey Deschanel, who sang so nicely in "Elf" just gives a magnificent performance, as does the male lead. This movie is extrememly well-acted and artful and unique. Just a small-town love story, really, but an example of what really really good acting can do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2005, 02:28:10 PM »

Now, I know that some people (a GYPSY reference) don’t consider Taco Pizza (sometimes known as Mexican Pizza) to be real pizza.  Personally, I enjoy it, once in a great while, as an alternative to regular pizza.

Now, having said that, I would like to report that I am going to friends’ house for dinner tonight, and I already know that they will be serving Mexican.  Not Mexican Pizza (sometimes known as Taco Pizza), but regular Mexican food.  So, although (technically) I won’t be eating pizza today; I am, at least, within six degrees of pizza.

And if that doesn’t work, I just threw a handful of Totino’s Pizza Rolls into the microwave and then ate them, so hopefully that counts for something.  At least it keeps me from being a complete……

……………wait for it……..

……………wait for it……..

NINCOMPOOP!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2005, 02:33:20 PM »

I am in the same boat, TCB, in that the Gal was promised Mexican food from the Taco Bell for dinner, so I was going to get a "Mexican Pizza" to adhere to the letter of the law.

I will add that if Barbara Harris could be coaxed into acting again, she could be as good as Thelma Ritter. Debate me on that if you will.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2005, 02:34:56 PM »

DRJMK, there's no way my typing can indicate my outrage at such rude and appalling behavior!  I'm glad to see you back,

Oy! Such a day at B&N!  Very busy, which makes the time fly, but I had to deal with a crazy unwashed bag lady and several more of the halt, the lame, and the maimed as well as some wonderful customers.  The icing on the cake was the arrival of madman Jason Graae, whom I haven't seen since we recorded in London in June 2001.  He looked fantastic, and we had about 30 minutes of mirth and fun at the info desk while the customers waited.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2005, 02:38:28 PM »

TCB is back.  Where in tarnation has he been?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2005, 02:39:09 PM »

PIZZA.  I want more!

NINCOMPOOP!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2005, 02:39:58 PM »

Once again I had no packages.  I do believe I may have to write some nasty notes to a couple of vendors.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2005, 02:44:16 PM »

My point was that there is not one character woman who even approaches the league of Thelma Ritter or any of the great character dames of the thirties, forties, and fifties.

I'll drink to that.  Hell, let's all drink to that!  I agree with DRRodzinski about the great Barbara Harris who was always a character actress, and I love Jennifer Coolidge, but I can't think of anyone around today remotely close to Thelma's range.  Maybe Dana Ivey?

DRTCB, I'm happy to see you.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2005, 03:06:32 PM »

Speaking (or writing) of interesting foods, der Brucer found an article on Advanced Sushi Dining a little while ago in the Los Angeles Times.  The following quotes might whet everyone's interest:

The server will place a set of chopsticks before you, with the tips to the left on their rest. Throughout the meal, keep the rest where it is, and replace the sticks facing left. If there's no rest, return the sticks with the points to the left directly on the counter.

What if you're left handed?  I'm not, but my mother was, and she always was more comfortable doing things in the reverse direction.  She even knitted left handed.  Shouldn't she have been allowed to have the tips of her chopsticks facing right?

Next challenge: the soy sauce and wasabi issue. Contrary to popular belief, you're only supposed to put a few drops of soy sauce in the bowl, and no wasabi. I learned this that first night at Ta-ke when Shishido whisked away the full bowl and handed me another one to try again. The idea, he explained, is to dab a bit of wasabi onto each piece of sashimi; that way you can control the amount you put on each piece.

So I've been an ignorant American barbarian all this time.  *sigh*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2005, 03:14:24 PM »

The real reason we don't have a number of Thelma Ritters out there, IMO, is because movie makers require all women to be beautiful.  Not just pretty, but drop-dead gaw-geous!  It's a shame, really, because not every woman is that beautiful on the outside.  

I'd put Nancy Walker in Ritter's league.  Maybe Betty White, now that she's free of Golden Girls and doesn't have to play the poster child of the after-fifty set.  There are probably a number of older actresses who fit the bill.  But none of the newer actresses that come to (my) mind are free of the Barbie curse, able to develop their own look.

Damn you, Maybelline and Clairol.  Damn you all to hell.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2005, 03:24:16 PM »

Golden Corral, where I went today for my main meal of the day, is a family buffet restaurant but not a Chinese restaurant. Anyway, they did have pizza, so in honor of the day, I did have a slice. The other meat dishes I had were pulled barbecue pork, meat loaf, and Bourbon Street Chicken.

For dessert I had one and a half slices of a very moist and delicious red velvet cake.

Yes, I'll be going back there next week for sure!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2005, 03:25:02 PM »

Just had a call from my friend Margaret, who finished reading the eighty count them eighty pages I wrote in the last two weeks.  She loved them - and is finding the story and the characters and the writing "very engaging".  I'm so pleased!  She didn't really even have any comments for me this time.  On the first batch of pages she had a couple of things she thought should be fleshed out, which I did.  So, it's on I go.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2005, 03:28:01 PM »

Meant to mention that the slice of pizza I had was pepperoni.

When I think character actress, I think immediately of Thelma Ritter who was in my mind as memorable as any star of her era.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »

I've been so busy on the phone today that I haven't had a chance to catch up on eitheer MONK or MEDICAL INVESTIGATION which I recorded to the DVR last night. Should have time in a minute to squeeze in MONK before the evening's programs begin.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up