Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELLY SHOES  (Read 17651 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SMELLY SHOES
« on: July 17, 2004, 12:00:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've inhaled the notes, you've smelled the notes, which smell a damn sight better than my shoes, and now it is time to post until the smelly cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 12:00:24 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SMELLY SHOES
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 12:08:14 AM »

Ewwwww!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 12:09:22 AM »

Hmmm... Now I got that song that Phoebe sings on "Friends" going through my head...

"Smelly cat... Smelly cat..."
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 12:17:25 AM »

DR Noel - Unfortunately, as I've been reminded of on many occasions, there are no Bank of America locations in New York City - which is indeed very strange.

However, I've found that some of the hotel money exchange desks will advance you money from your credit/debit/ATM card with the proper identification.  *And I know that you can request a cash advance (Visa/MC/Disc) in person at any bank branch, since I had to do that one time in a pinch.  But, again, finding a bank open on Saturdays in Manhattan... OH!  You can also check with any other money exchange "stores" in NYC.

*Oops, just re-read your "original" post... the card is not rectangular... However, I know what you're talking about... Some Bank of America branches certify each customer as they come up to the window by having them swipe their card - or the special BofA "card" - in the reader placed at the window.  *It actually makes the teller's job easier since the bank account information is actually "entered" by the customer via the card-swipe rather than the teller.  *And, in a nod to security, it also allows the bank branch to set up those bullet-proof partitions.  Ah, well...

-Is the "rectangular card" that your mother-in-law has not the same size as a regular credit card?  If it isn't, hmm.... If it is, it should still be able to be used at an ATM, I would think.  Just as long as the strip is in the correct place on the back of the card.  *And if it's a matter of getting into one of ATM locations, any card you put in the slot will open the door - I accidentally put my grocery store savings card in one, and it worked!  *And I've grown very fond of Washington Mutual's no-fee ATMs around Times Square.  -Your bank may still charge an access fee, but Washington Mutual does not.

OK...

Did I tell you that I had some Coconut Cream Pie from The House of Pies tonight? ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 12:24:46 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 12:25:07 AM »

If the thought of smelly feet doesn't make you feel ill, here's an ad I just read and will reprint without comment:

Marlon Brando Letter
Handwritten by Mr. Brando in 1946, with 3 cent stamp & envelope displayed. Letter sent to his agent who framed it & gave it to me. Letter contains authentic spelling errors. Price, $10,000.[/i]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 12:26:01 AM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 12:34:52 AM »

Having just seen "Bowling for Columbine" I guess that would be one the best I have seen. Fahrenheit 9/11 is released this week.
Have not seen it yet but "Touching the Void" has had excellent reviews here and is doing well box office wisw  Sort of a fuzzy line between documentary and recreation of events I guess.

Other topic: I loathe dressings. Lemon juice with a touch of olive oil is a far as I will go. I tend not to like anything that is vinegar based.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 01:04:07 AM »

I should go to bed... But my favorite documentary film maker in terms of a body of work is the late Donald Brittain who did some extraordinary films for the National Film Board of Canada. I love documentaries, so I have a long list. I'll start with BEST BOY; DON'T LOOK BACK; WHEN WE WERE KINGS; KINDERTRANSPORT (INTO THE ARMS OF STRANGERS); JAZZ ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON. Okay, that's it for now. But there are lots of others I want to include... Tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 02:23:09 AM »

Oh my - well be sure to get the Capezio Dance Sneakers.  I have found them comfortable and non aromatic under all circumstances!

Documentaries...well....   ;D

A couple of Pennebaker films to begin with:

COMPANY: THE MAKING OF THE CAST ALBUM - the DVD with commentary.

MOON OVER BROADWAY - the DVD with commentary.

KINDERTRANSPORT - mentioned by DR PANNI, I believe.

THE MAKING OF 'A NIGHT TO REMEMBER' - on the ANTR DVD, producer William MacQuitty and author Walter Lord are interviewed extensively.

I will some others to the other DR's.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 05:32:26 AM »

My favorite documentaries:

THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK

ANNE FRANK REMEMBERED

COMMON THREADS: VOICES FROM THE QUILT

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!

I hope to get out to see FAHRENHEIT 9/11 this week before heading off to NYC.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 05:35:12 AM »

A left out another couple of wonderful gay-oriented documentaries:

THE CELLULOID CLOSET

WORD IS OUT

That last one was the first gay-themed documentary I ever saw, must have been in my early 20s, and it had such a profound effect on me, these people from all walks of life standing up and announcing who they were despite hostile receptions from those around them. I could not be out being a public school teacher in the South at that time, so this documentary affected me very deeply.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 06:35:58 AM »

Documentaries: Um..... Hmm.....

Salads: I like the spring field greens or red leaf lettuce.

The family went on vacation without me last night. Let the "spring cleaning" begin! (Even if I'm a few months late.)
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 07:23:04 AM »

All time favorite documentaries are the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT TRILOGY.  Recent favorites are BROADWAY: THE GOLDEN YEARS and the Michael Moore trilogy (Roger/Bowling/Faherenheit).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 07:34:13 AM »

I have seen "Capturing the Friedmans" and I did reallly enjoy it, if one can really enjoy a documentary on that topic.  The ending certainly left a "what is the truth?" feeling inside me.  The mother/father relationship is certainly dysfunctional at best and the (some may consider this a spoiler, but I don't think so) fact that one son is now a rental party clown is just crazy at best.  I did not watch the bonus material.

I also really enjoyed "Spellbound" the spelling bee documentary; it made me really feel a different emotion for each participant.  One family (ie mother) really cracked me up and if you see it, I think you will know who I mean.  I also recommend "Winged Migration" a beautiful film that I sort of dreaded sitting through, but in the end came out really glad that I did.  Nature really is a wonderment.  

I have seen Farenheit 9/11 and I think some of it's best moments are towards the end when Michael Moore pulls back and just lets the mother from Flint tell her story and at that point Michael's not preachy or yelling and it's a nice relief.  

I just finished watching 8 1/2 and now I'm going back to listen to some of the commentary to make more sense of the whole thing.  The reality and the (what I call) "dreams" are very interchangable to me, which I guess was part of the whole point.  How well does this movie represent Fellini's style?  I saw "Nights of Caberia" a few years ago and I don't remember it being so stylized, but time may just have allowed to me forget.  

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 07:38:31 AM »

Someone thought I should look into this song they heard.  They said it was by Ivan Novello, but I googled that name and I think they misheard and that they really meant Ivor Novello.  Anway, it's a song about this guy going on dates with this girl and her mother always comes along.  I'm googling (who would have thought that would ever have been a verb) for a song list of his, but so far have turned up nothing.  If anyone just happens to have any title, please let me know.  Meanwhile, I'm going to keep searching.

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »

Please ignore that last post - I found it - "And Her Mother Came Too" is the title.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2004, 08:11:02 AM »

Someone thought I should look into this song they heard.  They said it was by Ivan Novello, but I googled that name and I think they misheard and that they really meant Ivor Novello.  Anway, it's a song about this guy going on dates with this girl and her mother always comes along.  I'm googling (who would have thought that would ever have been a verb) for a song list of his, but so far have turned up nothing.  If anyone just happens to have any title, please let me know.  Meanwhile, I'm going to keep searching.

"And Her Mother Came Too" is the title, I believe.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2004, 08:20:09 AM »

Well, if it's Ivor or Flanders & Swann, I might have it in a vocal collection.  Isn't "And Her Mother Came Too" sung by Jeremy Northam in GOSLING PARK?  I haven't seen the film since its release, so my memory's vague.

TOD:  THE LINE KING: AL HIRSCHFIELD
         THE CELLULOID CLOSET
  (I knew both of these late great gentlemen, Hirschfield and Vito Russo, but never thought I'd see their names in the same sentence!))
         All of Ken Burns' looonnnggg documentaries, esp  THE CIVIL WAR and the one on jazz; I've only seen portions of the New York history)
         COMMON THREADS
         ORIGINAL CAST ALBUM:  COMANY

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2004, 08:36:35 AM »

Many of my favorite documentaries have already been mentioned.  One interesting and fun documentary cum thrill ride is "Soaring Over California" at Disney's California Adventure theme park, across the way from Disneyland.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 08:44:38 AM »

Didn't we just talk about salads?  I recall casting a vote not too long ago for Insalata Caprese.  I'll also put in a good word for authentic Caesar salad.  No tomatoes, no olives, no other extraneous ingredients.  Romaine lettuce with freshly made dressing, with coddled egg, freshly shaved parmesano, fresh croutons and, yes, smashed anchovies.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:01:35 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 09:04:15 AM »

Jeremy Northam sings "And Her Mother Came, Too" and other Ivor Novello tunes in GOSFORD PARK, Robert Altman's stylish and fun murder mystery. I bought the soundtrack album of the film just to get his vocal tracks which are terrific. (Many of the songs get interrupted during the film or other scenes play over them; on the soundtrack, you get the entire, uninterrupted gems.)

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2004, 09:07:59 AM »

Don't want to forget about Disney's True-Life Adventures either. THE LIVING DESERT, JUNGLE CAT, THE VANISHING PRAIRIE, WHITE WILDERNESS, THE AFRICAN LION are all amazingly entertaining. Can't wait for that Disney tin to come out (holidays of 2004?) that will have these wonderful films on them. I often play the videotapes. Some of the two reel True-Life Adventures can be found already. "Water Birds," for example, is on the DVD of THE RESCUERS.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2004, 09:10:51 AM »

Starting with LA DOLCE VITA, Fellini started going more and more into the surreal during his movies. CABIRIA and LA STRADA are more straightforward stories.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2004, 09:29:43 AM »

Add to the list of documentaries a film by Peter W. Kunhardt, Philip B. Kunhardt III, and Philip B. Kunhardt, Jr.: Lincoln.  Very "in the style of" Ken Burns, with Jason Robards reading excerpts from Abraham Lincoln's speeches (and a "cast of thousands" reading from everyone else's writings), and original music by Alan Menken.

This is something the television networks don't seem to do very often any more, if at all.  I can recall when their documentaries were considered gems in their programming; now, the gems are reality shows, which have nothing to do with reality and everything to do with show and tell.

Think of this: of the five shows nominated for an Emmy for nonfiction special this year, only ONE was broadcast on one of the traditional networks, and that was one of the AFI's entertainment list shows.  Everything else was shown on either PBS or cable.  As for nonfiction series, ALL of the nominees are PBS or cable.

Very sad.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2004, 09:32:40 AM »

Who can remember if we talked about salads.  It just popped into my head and one simply can't talk about salads enough anyway.  And might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  And might I just clarify for a very confused dear reader, that my feet NEVER smell, only my smelly shoes smell.  My feet, as stated in the notes, smell lovelier than springtime.

Panni

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2004, 09:35:07 AM »

An addition to the backyard menagerie here... I came back from my walk this morning and my landlord was excitedly holding up what I thought was one of those stone garden tortoise decorations -- until the feet moved. It was a rather large LIVE turtle. Apparently, having appeared one day out of nowhere, he'd been happily living in the yard here for many years -- his name being Pete -- and then, almost two years ago he disappeared. The landlord was heartbroken as Pete was his special pet. And today - magically, there he was! He's quite elderly and wonderful. Here is a photo of PETE THE MAGIC TURTLE...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:35:42 AM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2004, 09:35:14 AM »

Oh, could somebody on the left coast make sure DR Jose has access to the Food Network on Wednesday night?  Our own favorite nonfiction television host/director, Alton Brown, is putting up a new episode of his show, Good Eats, this time an expose on "The Circle of Life."

That's right.  Donuts!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2004, 09:37:24 AM »

The networks have mostly thrown miniseries and made-for-TV movies to the cable channels, too. They seem now to concentrate on scripted shows and (sadly and increasingly) reality TV.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2004, 09:40:55 AM »

Don't want to forget about Disney's True-Life Adventures either. THE LIVING DESERT, JUNGLE CAT, THE VANISHING PRAIRIE, WHITE WILDERNESS, THE AFRICAN LION are all amazingly entertaining. Can't wait for that Disney tin to come out (holidays of 2004?) that will have these wonderful films on them. I often play the videotapes. Some of the two reel True-Life Adventures can be found already. "Water Birds," for example, is on the DVD of THE RESCUERS.

DRMattH's Disney update posed a question:  what's the story on the DVD of CINDERELLA?  Isn't it the one major Disney animated film besides BAMBI to never be released?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2004, 09:43:28 AM »

Hi, all--it's the weekend and I actually have some time, which now it seems I must use to catch up on a week's worth of posts.  Oy.

We are very busy here--Betsy has started her new job, the kids are taking swimming lessons and WE HAVE A NEW DOG (see below).  BeeGee (for Black Gold) is a beautiful Golden Retriever/Cinnamon Newfie mixed breed who is a lovely one year old who was unaccountably abandoned in Corvallis and ended up at Golden Bond rescue.  He has a few "manners" issues which we are dealing with, but he is a gentle giant and a very sweet addition to our family.  You can't really tell from this photo, but his coloring is outrageously beautiful--his top coat is kind of chocolatly (mmm...chocolate) while his undercoat is perfectly golden.  He absolutely shimmers in the light.  He does not, however (at least as of yet), retrieve anything.  He stares at us with a "So what?  You go get it if you want it" look, so Zach calls him our Golden non-retriever.

I bring exciting news (well, to some of us) from Leonard Maltin--he has completely rewritten his biography of Frances Farmer on the IMDb, correcting many errors and removing any mention of the l-word (no, the other one).  :)

And, in perhaps related word (I promised not to spill too many beans), there may indeed be a DVD release of Song of the South in our lifetimes!

I guess for completely selfish reasons my favorite documentary would have to be Frances Farmer:  Paradise Lost, as seen on the A&E Biography series.  JR and I both contributed material to it, and I was an interview subject--they even flew up here to Portland to utilize my collection and do the interview, which was kind of fun.  
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2004, 09:43:53 AM »

Didn't we just talk about salads?  I recall casting a vote not too long ago for Insalata Caprese.  I'll also put in a good word for authentic Caesar salad.  No tomatoes, no olives, no other extraneous ingredients.  Romaine lettuce with freshly made dressing, with coddled egg, freshly shaved parmesano, fresh croutons and, yes, smashed anchovies.
Smashed Anchovies?

There's a bit of debate about this ingredient.  Some say smashed anchovies are part of the dressing, and others say that the dressing includes three dashes of Worcestershire Sauce, which contains anchovy.

Bleh to bottled Caesar dressing, by the way.  Nasty stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up