Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES WITH BOTOX  (Read 32398 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:NOTES WITH BOTOX
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2008, 03:21:07 PM »

I feel like an ass that I forgot

:-\

Ridiculous. It isn't that important in the scheme of things.

I missed my walk this morning so I think I'll take it now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2008, 03:21:23 PM »

So... Right now, I am sitting in Columbus Circle next to a group of people doing paint-by-numbers watercolors... By holding the brush in their mouth. ???
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2008, 03:32:58 PM »

I think i saw a garbage disposal when i visited some friends in the US. But we don't have those here (i'm serious).

We have grocery stores here that have prepared food behind a counter (that look like what you might see at a deli). You can buy things like macaroni salad. Or chicken dishes. But i would not consider this a salad bar. Is this similar to what you mean? Or are you talking a real salad bar where you have a bowl of lettuce and stuff.

A real salad bar.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »

Thank you, Singdaw.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »

I finally figured out HOW Singdaw knows DR Laura has a headache. ;D

BEGONE HEADACHE VIBES!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »

LOL. Maybe he can hear me whining.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »

Okay, let's get serious, salad-wise, with BK's favorites:

Agree with Druxy about the Brown Derby cobb salad - never bettered.  That said, pre-diet, I loved a good cobb salad - my problem is that I only like ranch or, if it's really good, 1000 Island dressing, and I use way too much of it.

For a simple dinner salad I like Musso and Frank's simple dinner salad with their excellent vinaigrette dressing.

I also, as most of you know, love their Combination Louis - crab, shrimp, and lobster.  Again, the 1000 Island dressing is very caloric, but it's the ONLY thing that's caloric in that salad, and even in the old days when I used to put a bowl of it on the salad I never gained weight.  These days, however, I use both 1000 Island (in very small doses) and their red cocktail sauce, which is excellent.

I'm now very fond of Amy's Salad from Stanley's - avocado, chicken, butter lettuce, cashew nuts and grapefruit slices - in their soy dressing.  Their Chinese chicken salad is also the best in town.  They also do a nice Caesar Salad.  Which brings me to:

Best Caesar salad in town: Dan Tana's - made at the table, as it should be.

Little Toni's does an excellent antipasto salad, filled with all sorts of fun things.  Their Eyetalian dressing is very good.

And then there is cousin Dee Dee's unbelievably great salad - a light 1000 Island dressing of her own making, and then filled with good lettuce, veggies, jicama, and it's just perfection.  Unfortunately, she doesn't make it very often - last time I had it was about fifteen years ago, I think.  Which brings me to:

My mother's 1000 Island dressing - never bettered.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »

Barry's about ten minutes away, which means we'll be getting a slightly late start.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »

The notes will be up late, and I hope some people will also be up late posting.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2008, 04:09:22 PM »

So... Right now, I am sitting in Columbus Circle next to a group of people doing paint-by-numbers watercolors... By holding the brush in their mouth. ???

Have you ever noticed how many idiots there are in this City?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »

DR Jennifer, I believe we have two markets here with salad bars; one the all natural co-op, and at the Market of Choice, a small chain of store located in Oregon.  I’ve seen other salad bars in markets around the country.  There were all rather much like a salad bar at a restaurant, including soup on the side.  The salad bars here have a large variety of fixings.  The deli counters we have sound basically like yours.

When we moved from Southern California to New Jersey we were startled to find no one had garbage disposals.  It was also our first experience with a septic tank.  Do you have a septic tank?  The second home we had with a septic did have a garbage disposal but we were told to use it sparingly.  Our current home has a septic, and a disposal we use all the time.  Our other 6 homes all had garbage disposals as well as our apartments and our small, one bedroom, rental home.

No septic tank, no garbarge dispossal.

Actually i was curious if other places in canada had garbage disposals. So i did a search. And one chain that carries them only has 2 locations (ontario and calgary alberta). So i suppose there are some people that have them.

Here i have not seen them. We just throw the garbage in the actual garbage.

Jennifer

« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »

DR Jennifer - I remember "fix it youself salad bars" popping up in Safeway stores when I was about ten years old. -Wow! That's thirty years ago?!?! It certainly was quite the novelty when they started appearing in supermarkets, and was usually a cause for some expressions of disbelief once we got to the register since they were priced by the pound. -"You bought how much salad?!?!?!". -And then when the hot food bars started popping up...

Here in NYC, salad and hot food bars in stores are more the norm than the exception. It just depends on the size of the store. The Whole Foods/Fresh Fields/Wild Oats stores usually have multiple bars: basic salad fixings, premade salads, international selections (Indian, Asian, etc.), desserts. And those are alongside the sushi, grilled items, pizza and home-cooked stations.  Some stores even have a Pommes Frites bar, a cooked to order Seafood counter, and an in-store smoker for BBQ'd selections. In other words: Yes, we have salad bars.

Part of it is probably because we dont' have any of the same grocery store chains here. Here we have Maxi, Loblaws, IGA, Super C and Metro. I'm not even sure if they have these same chains across canada.  The IGA right near me has the premade salad/deli type bar with tons of choices. You could certainly eat well there. But no salad bar like you guys describe.

Is it expensive to buy your salad this way?

Jennifer

« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2008, 04:28:39 PM »

Those salads sound good. What is butter lettuce?

I haven't really had that many salads at restaurants other than house salads.

I have however been eating salad every day since i've been trying to lose weight.

Usually i just use one of those $1 bag of lettuces you buy at the grocery store and add feta and tomatoes. And I make my own homemade dressing (with light mayo, olive oil, parmesean cheese, garlic, feta, parsley, vinegar, paprika). I can't even stand bottled dressings anymore.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »

The salad bars can be on the pricey side.  I rarely get them unless we are traveling, and you have to watch they are fresh.  When I did bring home fixings from them I would use my own lettuce & just get the more expensive items (same price by the pound) I didn't have at home or I was too lazy to chop up.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2008, 05:01:12 PM »

My sister makes two of my all-time favorite salads.

*  Her potato salad is incredible
*  Her taco salad used to be the most requested thing she ever made - and she is a wonderful cook.

* I make used to make a great shrimp and macaroni salad, but I seldom make it anymore.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »

Some other people of interest at the October Ray Courts show include:

Dynasty's Gordon Thomas

Mr. Clint Walker

Miss Ruta Lee (who I would most love to meet!)

And from a TV sitcom I used to really love, JUST THE TEN OF US, Heather Langenkamp and Jaime Luner

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:05:37 PM by MBarnum »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2008, 05:10:32 PM »

Some other people of interest at the October Ray Courts show include:

Dynasty's Gordon Thomas

Actually Gordon Thomson.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2008, 05:15:36 PM »

I would love to meet Tommy Kirk.  And if Mr. Court could also land Tim Considine, I would probably walk to L.A. to see them.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »

Wow, that could be an interesting reunion for Ray Court.  Both sets of the original TV Hardy Boys - Tim and Tommy; and Sean and Parker.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:34:55 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

singdaw

« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2008, 05:18:36 PM »

I enjoyed Michelle Obama's appearance on Paula's Party.

singdaw

« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »

Mr. Clint Walker

Johnnie's brother?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2008, 05:54:55 PM »

“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »

Good Evening!

So... On the train ride back uptown, there was a (nice looking) gentleman sorting through a bag of athletic equipment.  At first I - and some other people - thought he had pulled out a bag of athletic supporters and was sorting them.  However, each strap seemed to have two jocks/cups attached to them.  Hmm...  Well, after some more observation and deduction, I realized that they were caps that water polo players wear.  The (small) cups were the ear protectors.  However, the look on the face of the woman sitting next to him... Priceless!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »

. . .and you DIDN'T take a picture?!?!?!?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

singdaw

« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »

. . .and you DIDN'T take a picture?!?!?!?

My thoughts exactly.  I mean, what is the purpose of DR JoseSPiano having an iPhone, if not to share these moments with us, his fellow Dear Readers?    8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »

Have you ever noticed how many idiots there are in this City?

Well, it turned out the paint-by-number-with-your-mouth stunt was actually part of a series of "missions" that teams had to accomplish in order to win a ski trip to Austria.  The contest was being held by Ski Bums.

*And that also explained why some of the guys who were "judging" looked familiar.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  I mean, what is the purpose of DR JoseSPiano having an iPhone, if not to share these moments with us, his fellow Dear Readers?    8)

Well, I would only post the picture if I had gotten his name.  And number.
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »

LOL. Maybe he can hear me whining.

DRLaura whines a lot and often!
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2008, 06:07:52 PM »

I think he should be bitch-slapped.  Gently, of course. . .  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2008, 06:13:35 PM »

Part of it is probably because we dont' have any of the same grocery store chains here. Here we have Maxi, Loblaws, IGA, Super C and Metro. I'm not even sure if they have these same chains across canada.  The IGA right near me has the premade salad/deli type bar with tons of choices. You could certainly eat well there. But no salad bar like you guys describe.

Is it expensive to buy your salad this way?

DR Jennifer - Well, we do have IGA stores here, but they're not called IGA - at least not in my travels - but I do know that IGA is a presence stateside.

I'm guessing that the Food Service and Safety rules/laws in Canada may be the reason that salad bars do not exist on your side of the border.

As for it being expensive... Well, if you happen to load up on a lot of heavy, dense food, it can get pricey.  Most food bars here run around $6.00-8.00/pound.  However, I have seen people load up their containers and not blink twice when they get to the cash register and hear that they have to fork over $15.00 or more to pay for their salad.

*At Whole Foods, I've seen couples and other small groups of people buy one of the clamshell packs of lettuces from the produce section, and then select their toppings from the salad bar before heading to the in-store dining area.  I've done the same thing every now and then if I want to "stock up" on salad for the week.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up