Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: DOING A HALF MITZI GAYNOR  (Read 40850 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:DOING A HALF MITZI GAYNOR
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »

While I cooked and ate lunch, I watched Kyra Sedgwick's Emmy-nominated performance from the CLOSER - Season 3 set. It was a very wise choice on her part since we get not only the procedural stuff and the life in danger finale, but the doctor's office visit and the proposal, too.

Everyone's saying Glenn Close is a shoo-in for the award, and I'm not saying she won't win, but the last time she was a shoo-in, she lost to Patricia Arquette for MEDIUM.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2008, 01:21:36 PM »

Page Seven Scarecrow and Dorothy Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2008, 01:23:48 PM »

Thanks, DR MattH - I'm looking forward to the first snowy morning that I don't have to play the game of trying to decide whether or not to attempt my 25-mile drive.

Ah, yes. I don't miss that either (I had a 37-mile drive to work.) I'd have to get up extra early on days it snowed trying to find out if we were having school because I'd have to drive slower to get to school and thus needed to leave home earlier.

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »

Then I watched KILL BILL Volume 2 this afternoon. It has a completely different vibe from Volume 1 even though it's a continuation of the same story, and frankly, I liked it better. Most fanboys dislike part II because it doesn't have the uber-violence and over the top chock-socky stuff that part I had, but for me, all that evisceration got old quickly. This is much more studied and enjoyable. The set pieces are more stately in direction and tone. It's a richer experience, I think.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »

I also watched the one deleted scene on the disc which was a deleted sword fight not involving Uma Thurman.

I still have the "making of" documentary and a musical performance lasting 11-minutes to watch on the disc.

Then, I will decide if I'm going to start another TV box set to review or watch something else. Not clear yet if there will be time to do an entire movie. I do want to watch PSYCH at 10.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »

How wonderful! I have interviewed Diane McBain...what a beautiful gal she is! And always liked John Russell...would love to have met him and always wondered what he was like in real life. Some of those I have interviewed that worked with him thought he was rather cold, but perhaps he was just shy.

Did you ever work with Joi Lansing by chance?

Diane has been a dear friend for 30 years.  

I represented Russell only briefly...about the time that PALE RIDER was released.  Nice man.  Very reserved.  I attended his funeral at the veteran's cemetery in Westwood.  [I do have a picture with him.  I'll see if I can post it.]

Never met Joi Lansing.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »

Here's the John Russell photo.  It was taken when Leonard Maltin interviewed him for "Entertainment Tonight".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2008, 01:40:22 PM »

Apparently there is a big load of nothing at the mail place, so I don't have to waste a trip there like I did to the book store.  The book store guy did take my number and said he'll continue trying to find the book.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2008, 01:41:50 PM »

Here's something else I just came across.

This is an ad that I had Paul Francis Webster and Sammy Fain take in the trade papers when we were doing the Oscar campaign for "A World That Never Was".

Too bad that song has never had a commerial recording.  It's a very touching piece.

[Are you listening BK?]

::)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »

I called the number and I didn't hear anything but "Sam's Hermaphrodite Parlour."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »

Guess it's time to hop off-line and do some writing.

WBBL.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »

I called the number and I didn't hear anything but "Sam's Hermaphrodite Parlour."

Was that today or in 1977?

;)

Ginny

« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2008, 02:22:11 PM »

Time to get ready to go home.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2008, 02:39:40 PM »

DR Druxy, I will be sure to let you know when the Diane McBain interview is published...as soon as I have time to trascribe it first!

Which reminds me, I sure to heck wish Warner Bros would release SURFSIDE 6 to dvd!

MBarnum

« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »

So no one had any comment of on FAIRY OF PUNJAB.

Perhaps more people ignore my posts then I thought  8)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »

So no one had any comment of on FAIRY OF PUNJAB.

Perhaps more people ignore my posts then I thought  8)

It's the only way to preserve one's sanity.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »

~~~Quick Fix Vibes for JRand's Computer!!~~~

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »

***Big Deep Breath***

Well, I've alluded to this several times this week and can now announce that, effective January 1, 2009, I will be retired from public employment in the state of Ohio.

;D 8) ;D

CONGRATULATIONS!  You've EARNED it!! ;D

I've got 25 years left. :-\

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Kerry

« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »

How wonderful! I have interviewed Diane McBain...what a beautiful gal she is! And always liked John Russell...would love to have met him and always wondered what he was like in real life. Some of those I have interviewed that worked with him thought he was rather cold, but perhaps he was just shy.

Did you ever work with Joi Lansing by chance?

Tell me mre about Ms. McBain.  And please tell me more about what you learned (and the troubles she encountered) of Ms. Molly Bee.  PLEASE!?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:59:08 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »

DR Kerry,

The first time I met Diane McBain was the very first time I attended the Ray Court's Show, back when it was held at the Beverly Garland Hotel in North Hollywood, back in the late 90s. She was so beautiful, even still. I was amazed. At that time I was not that familiar with her.

Some years later when GoodLife Network began showing a lot of the old Warner Bros tv shows from the 50s and 60s I noticed that  she was on a LOT of them, and then I caught some of her movies and finally decided to see if she would do an interview.

The interview was great. I had a wonderful time chatting with her. It has been a few years since the interview and so I have forgotten a lot of what we talked about other then she dated Troy Donahue for a time...and and Joan Crawford refused to let her be in the same frame as her when they were making a movie together.

I need to get that one transcribed soon.

MBarnum

« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »

My recollection of Molly Bee is that she had quite a drinking problem. Maybe a drug problem too. I think Kenny Miller talks about it in his book. They were very close friends back in the day.

She was very sweet when I saw her at the last Ray Courts Show in Burbank, but she looked like she had been through a lot in her life though and she gave me a snap shot of herself with Kenny, which I gave to Kenny when I saw him.

Jennifer

« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »

So, you've never seen or heard of the "round thing that is like ham"? If so what do you call it?

der Brucer

We call it ham. I have never heard anyone use the term canadian bacon here.

George

« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2008, 03:44:36 PM »

I sent our contract comments to the powers that be - they're all fine and when the lawyer returns on the 17th we'll get our final contract for signing - oh, boy!

Great news, BK!  

Michael

« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »

This is an ad that I had Paul Francis Webster and Sammy Fain take in the trade papers when we were doing the Oscar campaign for "A World That Never Was".

Too bad that song has never had a commerial recording.  It's a very touching piece.

[Are you listening BK?]

::)

This is one of my missing songs from my Collection of Oscar winning songs. Four years only they were also nominated for "Strange Are the Ways of Love" from "The Stepmother" Both films were "What Film Were They Nominated For????????"

As good as they are I surmise that they were nominated 1) Because they are recognizable name 2) The music branch of the Academy had as it members (at that time) members of the old guard and wanted to nominate one of their own.

The other nominees that year were "Ben from Ben",  "Come Follow Follow Me from The Little Ark" (Another song that never has had commercial recording except for an instrumental version recorded by BK.), "Marmalade, Molasses and Honey" from The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean" and the winner The Morning After from the Poseidon Adventure whose actual name according to the film credits was "The Song From The Poseidon Adventure"

A World That Never Was was also in competition with Ava Santani (The Omen). Come To Me (The Pink Panther Strikes Again), Gonna Fly Now (Rocky)
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!  You've EARNED it!! ;D

I've got 25 years left. :-\

:)

Thanks, DR George!

And hang in there - I'll have 30.08 years of service credit that it took 35+ years to earn!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »

Bruce, congrats on the loss of inches.

Few man would say "Thank-you"!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

« Reply #207 on: September 05, 2008, 04:16:27 PM »

In my CD player right now:

Jay McShann's The Big Apple Bash

George

« Reply #208 on: September 05, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »

I got this because Janis Siegel of The Manhattan Transfer sings on track #5, "Ain't Misbehavin'" :D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #209 on: September 05, 2008, 04:22:02 PM »

Cute  :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up