Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IF IT'S TUESDAY IT MUST BE TUESDAY  (Read 27364 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:IF IT'S TUESDAY IT MUST BE TUESDAY
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2004, 03:58:43 PM »

Echo just gave us a fright.  She disappeared for about half an hour.  The strange thing is she disappeared in our yard, granted it is about four acres worth, but still.  We were out there yelling “let’s go for a walk”, a call she has never ignored.  We had visions of her injured in the bushes where we couldn’t see her.  Alas, she suddenly came running, obviously having been into something.  We couldn’t find a hole in the fence & are very curious where she was.  We have had our walk and Echo has been hosed down multiple times.  Now I’m off to use the hair dryer on her

Michael

« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2004, 04:01:12 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]COMING SPRING 2005[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Lord of the Rings: The Musical[/move]

http://www.thelordoftheringsmusical.com#
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 04:01:57 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »

We have had our walk and Echo has been hosed down multiple times.  Now I’m off to use the hair dryer on her
As a drying device, and not as a spanking tool, I trust.  (Sorry, Jane, but your phrasing could have been clearer.   ::))

More seriously, how does Echo respond to the sound of the hair dryer?  Some of the dogs we've had have been very sensitive to the noise, running away the moment it's turned on.  Vacuum cleaners have the same effect.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2004, 04:15:29 PM »

Okay I think television has scraped the bottom of the outhouse. New show being made.

Are you ready for “My Best Friend is a Big Fat Slut”? Hope so, because the Oxygen network and Carsey-Werner-Mandabach may well be bringing us a half hour comedy show with that title, centered around a group of recovering sexaholics. The pilot shoots this week.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2004, 04:16:15 PM »

http://www.thelordoftheringsmusical.com#
Shades of PDQ Bach:

Treebeard has just begun his solo, when the producer steps out from the wings and addresses the audience.  "I'm terribly sorry, ladies and gentlemen, but we've been informed that this song will run ten hours and seventeen minutes, and have decided to cut it."

The look on Treebeard's face, after the producer has exited the stage, would be priceless.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2004, 04:27:40 PM »

The music was by a Leonard Rosenman   who also wrote music for :
Twilight Zone
2 Planet of the Apes movies
Barry Lyndon
Star Trek IV
Neil Diamond’s Jazz Singer
Macus Welby
Quincy
The Defenders
and lots more.

Actually, Rosenman didn't compose the score for Barry Lyndon, he adapted existing music, for which he recieved an Oscar.  He also recieved an Oscar for adapting the music for the Woody Guthrie film Bound for Glory.  

And he composed a great deal of my favorite film scores.  East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, Fantastic Voyage, and his two scores for the "Apes" franchise, Beneath the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes.  

I've been catching re-runs of Combat! lately, since I've had essentially nothing to do for the past few days, just to hear Rosenman's library of cues for that show.  

God, I'm such a friggin' geek.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2004, 04:34:36 PM »

Ever since trying to fix a minor AOL problem today, whatever they did was causing total computer wackoness today.  Every time I'd go to my folder where I keep my documents, it was cloning all my documents.  I'd delete them and it would clone them again.  Why, it was the Attack of the Clones.  I finally called Dell, and they had me to a system restore to last night, and now all is well with computerworld.

Robin

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2004, 04:34:52 PM »

Okay I think television has scraped the bottom of the outhouse. New show being made.
Are you ready for “My Best Friend is a Big Fat Slut”?

How about:
Her Really, Really Gay Fiance
Is She Glenda...or Glen?

I have this idea for a reality series called, Physician, Heal Thyself!  A dozen real doctors are injected with random fatal diseases, and they have to diagnose and treat themselves.  Some will live...some won't.  

It's a ratings bonanza!

Okay, I admit it...I'm pretty cheesed at the entire medical profession right now, since they can't seem to do anything about this ringing in my ear.  A few weeks, they said...!

Damn them.  Damn them all to hell.

Michael

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2004, 04:46:58 PM »

Does anyone know if Volume 2 of the Charlie Chaplin rectified the problems from the first set?
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2004, 04:49:05 PM »

Jane, I'm so glad you found Echo!  I would be beside myself if Bear or Brandi did that to me!

I have a pile of smut novels to read but I'm bumping "Dragon Heart" to the top.  I never should have mentioned I like certain smut novel authors like Fern Michaels.   Who knew my boss collects them.  She brings them in by the sack full for me to read.  Oy!

Let me go back and get caught up with what I missed.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2004, 04:50:41 PM »

I seem to recall recently reading that they had not, in fact, rectified the PAL to NTSC problems on the Chaplin set.  I believe you will find screenshot comparisons at dvdbeaver.com, although these comparisons can be a bit odious at times.

Michael

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2004, 04:59:09 PM »

I just found an old ticket stub for the Martin Beck theater dated January 6, 1979 when an orchestra seat was $14.50. Anyone know what was playing there?
Never stop dreaming.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2004, 05:16:03 PM »

I have this idea for a reality series called, Physician, Heal Thyself!  A dozen real doctors are injected with random fatal diseases, and they have to diagnose and treat themselves.  Some will live...some won't.

Actually, one of the Firesign Theatre albums contains a bit with exactly that premise, except the game show contestant is not a doctor.  The show is called Beat the Reaper.  He is in an isolation booth, and if he diagnoses the disease in the allotted amount of time, he gets the antidote.  "I'm sorry sir, that's incorrect.  You have--bubonic plague!"  He panics and escapes from the booth as people flee yelling "Plague!  Plague!"

I really should get all FT's albums, now that they are on CD just to see if they are as funny as they were in the 60's and without chemical enhancement.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2004, 05:35:52 PM »

JRand53, did you see Marty Milner and Kent McCord on Hollywood Squares last week? Boy, Kent still is a hottie!

But Michael, you also think dead gladiators are HOT.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2004, 05:38:14 PM »

Just caught up on all the posts. Whew! Congrats on the 30,000 milestone!

I too must defend Ms. von Stade. Met her once and she was extremely sweet. She was also very nice and helpful to a young opera student I know.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2004, 05:38:26 PM »

Okay, since I understand that no groaning is allowed here:

"You're Getting to be a Hobbit With Me"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2004, 05:41:41 PM »

I just found an old ticket stub for the Martin Beck theater dated January 6, 1979 when an orchestra seat was $14.50. Anyone know what was playing there?

According to imbd.com, Dracula would have been there at that time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2004, 05:41:53 PM »

As far as the big star who allegedly raped Natalie Wood as a kid, the scuttlebutt around is that it was Kirk Douglas. But that's just a rumor. Who knows if we'll ever know the truth.

If you can wait fifty years, it is probably in Roddy McDowall's book!

“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2004, 05:52:53 PM »

I just got back from walking Cully the near-blind dog and, my God, the sunset light tonight is exquisite!  Like a Maxfield Parrish painting.  There must a hundred different variant green tones dappled through the canyons.  Soon...soon...I shall be able to sit on my balcony again with a good wine and fine music and soak this up every night...although the winter light is really even more special than the spring and summer light.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2004, 06:06:17 PM »

And speaking of FS Edward Charles Pogue--and FS Charles Pogue was speaking of FS Charles Pogue, was he not?--may I ask:  Are you really responsible for the The Fly tag-line, "Be afraid!  Be very afraid!" (or otherly punctuated, of course.)
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2004, 06:17:35 PM »

Nobody's mentioned it yet, but today is the 100th Anniversary of the Birthday of Dr. Seuss (a.k.a. Theodore Geisel)!  Here are several interesting websites:

http://www.seuss.org/
http://www.seussville.com/
http://www.nea.org/readacross/ which has a link to:
http://www.seussentennial.com/
http://www.catinthehat.org/
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2004, 06:20:01 PM »

As a drying device, and not as a spanking tool, I trust.  (Sorry, Jane, but your phrasing could have been clearer.   ::))

More seriously, how does Echo respond to the sound of the hair dryer?  Some of the dogs we've had have been very sensitive to the noise, running away the moment it's turned on.  Vacuum cleaners have the same effect.

I use the Sassoon Quiet Styler to blow her hair dry-never, ever to hit her with.  :D I also give her half a cookie when I turn the on the dryer, and half during the drying process.  She tolerates the entire process only because I reward her, and because I do it in a corner where it is difficult for her to get away.  We live in the country where she can run free while we walk & hike which means I often return home with a dirty dog.  I have found drying her with a towel, combing her and then leaving her on a down stay on top of a dry towel reduces the time spent with the hair dryer.  

I think I just told you more than you wanted to know.  The point is Echo had to get use the hair dryer.  She doesn’t run from the vacuum cleaner, but she does bark at it non-stop.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2004, 06:28:22 PM »

I just got back from walking Cully the near-blind dog and, my God, the sunset light tonight is exquisite!  Like a Maxfield Parrish painting.  There must a hundred different variant green tones dappled through the canyons.  Soon...soon...I shall be able to sit on my balcony again with a good wine and fine music and soak this up every night...although the winter light is really even more special than the spring and summer light.
Wonderfully evocative! Ever thought of taking up writing, Mr. Pogue?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2004, 06:31:47 PM »

I loved Natalie Wood, especially her films when she was a young adult.  GYSPY, WEST SIDE STORY, and yes, even BOB AND CAROL, TED AND ALICE.    I wasn't crazy about a lot of her later work; and, of course, by the time I saw her in BRAINSTORM, she was washed up.
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2004, 06:33:24 PM »

Could some LA denizen (or anyone else with access) PLEASE print out or e-mail to me from today's LA Times Calendar section "The Big Picture" column about the TV movie "Judas." Excellent column and the movie, written by Tom Fontana, seems absolutely worth watching.
I tried to register in the Calendar members section to get a printout - which as an LATimes subscriber I'm supposed to be able to do - but there is some glitch and I've wasted enough time on it now. I'd love to e-mail this column to various people. And I also think it would be of interest to the DRs.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2004, 06:34:01 PM »

Danise thank you.  We were pretty scared.  It is amazing the images ones imagination can conjure up. She is such a good dog and  normally stays very close to me.   About six years ago, overcome by the excitement of seeing her first deer, she bolted and was gone for an hour.  But I knew what had happened.  I have since trained her not to chase deer.  I just yell sit and no matter how far away from me she is, she stops in her tracks.  She doesn’t sit, but then I don’t really care and she knows that.  

Jane

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2004, 06:37:12 PM »

Panni did you finish the Natalie Wood bio and did you like it?

Robin

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »

Actually, one of the Firesign Theatre albums contains a bit with exactly that premise, except the game show contestant is not a doctor.  The show is called Beat the Reaper.

Damn!  There goes my million bucks.  I was about to pitch it to FOX, the  "We'll run anything network"!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2004, 07:00:05 PM »

I was making a joke....it was a joke....you see the poster said..."and her friends...."  It was a joke....I didn't mean it....  It was a joke, remember those?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2004, 07:02:38 PM »

DR Panni asked me to post this picture!  ;D

"My daughter, when she was very young, was always being told she looked like a young Natalie Wood (and Natalie Portman). In fact, when we were living in LA (the first time) she played Susan in the LA premiere of the stage version of MIRACLE ON 34th STREET. I just recently got a photo of her (and lovely mother) on the day of her 20th birthday when I went to visit her in San Francisco and
will e-mail it to JRand53 to ask him to post it. She no longer looks like either of the Natalies but is lovely in her own right."

So let it be written so let it be done.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up