Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 31555 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »

The overcast conditions have cleared, and we have blues skies smilin' at us (a semi-Irving Berlin reference).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2006, 09:36:26 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Four Dance!!![/move]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2006, 10:07:41 AM »

Good day fellow dear readers...

Have a good day!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2006, 10:18:13 AM »

Agony!
Beyond power of speech,
When the one thing you want
Is the only thing out of your reach.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2006, 10:18:24 AM »

Oy!

What a weekend.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2006, 10:20:02 AM »

Back to work today.

Sigh.

At least we are having a special event today.

It's our annual (if not bi-annual) Silent Auction and Bake Sale.  Money raised will be applied toward our agency Holiday Party in December.

I've contributed...I bought a rum cake, made by someone who KNOWS HOW TO BAKE CAKES, for $15.

I'm certain it will be worth it!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2006, 10:21:52 AM »

I watched "Desperate Housewives" last night...and thought it a WONDERFULLY welcome return.  Loved the entire Bree/dentist sequence...exactly what this show does best with narrative and quirkiness.  

I watched "Brothers and Sisters" last night...and thought it MAGNIFICENT.  Thoughtful, STIMULATING and brilliantly acted.  This is a group of people I want to get to KNOW!  A totally wonderful script creating real people in realistic circumstances with a perfect blend of story/character.

I was ironing a lot....I may have inhaled too much Niagara Sizing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 10:51:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2006, 10:32:28 AM »

Hmm... I bought a bundle of socks the other day.  I grabbed a pair and packed them in my bag for the weekend.  And I've just noticed that, apparently, there were different colors of socks in that bundle - well, the logo/stripes are different colors.  Unless that's how you tell the left one from the right one and vice versa.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2006, 10:35:20 AM »

I was ironing a lot....I may have inhaled too much Niagara Sizing.

Ah... That's actually quite a comforting and calming smell to me... A blast of steam from the iron... A couple of spritzes of Niagara Sizing...  I remember my parents teaching me how to iron my own clothes when I was nine or ten years old...  And I still find ironing a somewhat relaxing activity.  *Of course, I usually send my shirts out to the cleaners now, but, still... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »

There has been no trouble with our smoke detectors since yesterday morning, which suggests that it isn't the batteries that caused the problem, but particulate matter in the air.

"Someone" seems to forget that he did, in fact, change the battery in his smoke dectector during the wee hours (and since they are all on the same circuit, if one goes off, all go off!)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2006, 10:41:36 AM »

Ah... That's actually quite a comforting and calming smell to me... A blast of steam from the iron... A couple of spritzes of Niagara Sizing...  I remember my parents teaching me how to iron my own clothes when I was nine or ten years old...  And I still find ironing a somewhat relaxing activity.  *Of course, I usually send my shirts out to the cleaners now, but, still... ;)

Well...I was sending out...and then it became apparent that "new" machinery was being used.  New shirts, on their first trips to the cleaners, were coming back with shattered buttons.

I complained.  The buttons were replaced with wrong-colored (close, but not a match) ones.

I'd direct NO STARCH and shirts would be starched.

I decided to do it myself for the shirts that required special handling (and some of mine do, unfortunately...rayons and silk blends).  A few shirts direct "do not dryclean"...so...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 10:42:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2006, 10:45:24 AM »

DR S Woody White,
RE smoke detectors: the detectors do wear out--not just the batteries (few people mention this). They can also jam if there's been some dust about. I'd try replacing the detectors--they're cheap. They should be replaced periodically, anyway.

Easier said then done - all the smoke detectors are wired into the house's main electrical system, per code (the batteries are just back-up power),

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2006, 10:45:41 AM »

Ben

« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2006, 10:53:01 AM »

Ginny, even though the Metro Card has expired as a 7 day all you can ride card, you can still add money to the card and use it until the expiration date. You can always check the status of a Metro Card at a subway booth. There are card readers which tell you how much money is on a card. If there is no money on the card but the expiration date has not passed you can insert the card into the machine and add more money to it instead of buying a new card. It's not much but it does save one sliver of plastic.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »

... the love interest that comes close but no cigar...

Hey it's Anne Heche - what did you expect!

der Brucer

(I thought cigars were items of "love interest" only in oval offices?)

Ben

« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2006, 10:56:08 AM »

Hey, Cil, and those others of you interested in Grey Gardens, the dcoumentary. It will be shown on Turner Classic Movies on October 29 at 8pm. Here is a link to Playbill On-Line with the information.

Grey Gardens

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2006, 11:01:26 AM »

Thanks, Professor DR Ben (I think you like a professor in your new avatar!)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »

Here's another book - don't y'all love it when I spend a day catching up on book review journals?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2006, 11:05:42 AM »

I saw GREY GARDENS the documentary many years ago.  Of course now with all the REALITY television shows, such public display isn't as rare as it once was.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2006, 11:06:33 AM »

Be a trend setter, DRJOSE.  Who says your socks have to match each other?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2006, 11:13:05 AM »

I am appalled by how many animated features (which all look and sound the same) are on the docket for the coming months. As usual, Hollywood has taken something that was fresh and different and run it into the ground with EVERY studio jumping on the bandwagon.

A factor might well be the DVD market. These films are the majority of movies appropriate for a family with a first grader in tow. The kids all want the DVD if they see the movie, and the direct to Video market for sequels is huge (just look at your Wal-Mart shelves).

If you were trying to take youngsters to the movies every couple of weeks, you'd wish for more of the same. The good old days of family friendly B-Films (Blondie, Ma and Pa Kettle, Abbot and Costello meet the monster of he week, etc.) are long gone (as is the wonderful concept of Saturday Matinees for the kids - loaded with cartoons, fun shorts, serials, and 60 minute features.) (In those halcyon days of yore, parents had no fear in leaving their 8 year olds alone for a few hours under the watchful eye of the teenage ushers.)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2006, 11:17:38 AM »

...off I go into my new life as a full-time student!

Majoring in Oral something-or-other ::)

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2006, 11:19:14 AM »

Ha, and we agree again. I really liked the first episode a lot. But this friday's did not keep my attention as much. I do like anne heche and will also continue to watch. But i'm not sure if i'll stick with it also.

And as for BROTHERS & SISTERS, i do think the next episode will tell more (considering the way the first show ended). But the pilot was just not too interesting.

And i'll bet we agree on a lot! :)

As long as it has nothing to do with Janelle!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2006, 11:22:02 AM »

Got a nice call this morning from the National Arts Center in Ottawa. I’m going there in early October for an event honoring Hungarian Canadians. They invited me to stay after the reception and attend that evening’s concert. I accepted, without knowing what the concert was. Just looked it up and I’m happy!...

NACO Ovation Series
October 4 - 5, 2006
SCHUBERT Trout Quintet
PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 3
TCHAIKOVSKY Romeo and Juliet, Fantasy Overture
Artists: Pinchas Zukerman, conductor/violin
Yuja Wang, piano
Jethro Marks, viola
Amanda Forsyth, cello
Joel Quarrington, double bass

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2006, 11:22:05 AM »

Well, apparently a size ten shoe is something New York stores don't believe in carrying,

Brought about by a concentration of smaller statured ethnic groups?

der Brucer

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »

I am appalled by how many animated features (which all look and sound the same) are on the docket for the coming months. As usual, Hollywood has taken something that was fresh and different and run it into the ground with EVERY studio jumping on the bandwagon.

Well, I've written one, too, to add to the bunch. Although, I hope this one will be different. Actually, I know it is. Now all they have to do is shoot it! (Next year, if things go as planned -- which they hardly ever do. But one hopes.)

Off to take the hound for his shots.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2006, 11:35:42 AM »

There are card readers which tell you how much money is on a card.

Can't they upgrade to a model that tells you where you left your card?

der Brucer

(With today's techology, I suspect we could have machines that let you use your VISA to buy a fare card, and would keep track of it's useage, and replace lost/stolen cards).

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2006, 11:35:45 AM »

And another...

This one got a rather snarky notice from Kirkus Reviews, but they're often snarky.

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2006, 11:36:13 AM »

Hey, Cil, and those others of you interested in Grey Gardens, the dcoumentary. It will be shown on Turner Classic Movies on October 29 at 8pm. Here is a link to Playbill On-Line with the information.

Grey Gardens

Thanks!  I did get it from Netflix and watched it a week or so ago.  I'm really glad I did. I was amazed when I got the CD how much of the documentary is in it, or perhaps I should say how the first act of the musical took comments made in passing and expanded them into the story. I'm really looking forward to seeing the musical.  I think I talked about them eating corn in a post a while back. They cooked it on a hotplate in the bedroom.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2006, 11:38:21 AM »

This morning I went for a walk and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up