Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RHYTHM OF LIFE  (Read 25245 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE RHYTHM OF LIFE
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2004, 03:21:12 PM »

I can tell you who's playing what because it seems fairly obvious to me: Mr. Harvey Evans - Buddy (he's played this before), Mr. Kurt Peterson - Ben (I believe he and Mr. Evans were the young versions of these characters on B'way), Miss Zimbalist would be Phyllis and Miss Ralston would be Sally.  Mr. Raitt is probably singing Beautiful Girls and/or playing Dimitri Weissman.  Julie Wilson will probably play Carlotta (TOO OLD - this part is supposed to be a woman barely fifty, as was Yvonne de Carlo in the original) and Miss Garrett will reprise her Hattie.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2004, 03:21:33 PM »

Pogue - good idea, I'm there.  

td

• td
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2004, 03:22:23 PM »

Ahh, my dear new friend, td!

Flattery, as you know TCB, will get you . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2004, 03:23:51 PM »

...upcoming production of Follies at the Irvine Barclay Theatre...fully staged and costumed production is directed by award-winning Broadway actress Teri Ralston...
Since Ralston is directing, I doubt she'll be in the show as well.  It's a complex script, and not one I'd want to see anyone tackle while wearing two hats.

That said, Ms. Ralston is wonderful to see on stage (she was in Triumph of Love at the International City Theater, Long Beach) and thoroughly charming off stage as well.  I want full reports on the showm DR Jay!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2004, 03:32:48 PM »

The director who staged TITANIC last fall told me FOLLIES has always been a dream show of his, but its cast and costume demands would be daunting for that theater to handle, I'm sure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2004, 03:35:06 PM »

Speaking of the CD of ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, has there ever been a more beautiful LP cover than that show's? The CD package looks cheesy compared to that classy, deco foil cover from the original LP.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2004, 03:44:59 PM »

It's probably true that Panni and I would come up with very different stories elaborating my encounter at the old movie folks home into a film.  She'd come up with something touching and sensitive, whereas I'd end up with a bitter black comedy.
Hey, Mr. Pogue, it's okay if the network execs put me in a certain "sensitive" box, but I didn't think YOU would! Actually, I have a very black comedy type sensibility. And, believe it or not, I've written my share of that kind of material (in Canada, primarily). For example, there was a very hard-hitting Canadian Broadcasting Corporation docudrama anthology series called FOR THE RECORD for which, I believe, I wrote the only comedy. And it was blacker than coal. One of the climactic moments had the sweet mother of our hero, who all her life had been trying to hit it big in Bingo, finally - FINALLY - in a very tense scene, winning the thousand dollar jackpot - and two seconds later dropping dead from just too much darn happiness. Sensitive? I think not. I much prefer SUNSET BOULEVARD to  some kind of saccharine homage to the days of yore.
And I appreciate your long and thoughtful reply to my objections to the Mary Astor story. But let me just say that nowhere do I suggest that you do not love and respect these people. I just personally like to keep some things private. That's me. You're you. This does not make you any less of a stellar human being. Just please don't come and visit me when I'm wearing a diaper and drooling into my residuals in the Old Writers' Home. Or if you do - and I'll be glad to see you, even though I'll probably call you Atilla -  just keep whatever you see to yourself.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 04:17:19 PM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2004, 03:53:29 PM »

Dear Readers Panni and TCB:  May your (respective) mothers' memory be a blessing to you both.

Thank you, DR Jay.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2004, 04:03:38 PM »

Judy Lewis' book is called "Uncommon Knowledge" and is very good.  It was written when Miss Loretta Young was still living and caused a rift between the two of them.  Lewis is very sympathetic to her mother and her adoptive father, Tom Lewis.  She was interviewed by Larry King about the book at least once.  And Judy said that she and her mother did mend their relationship before Loretta passed away.  It's a good book.

A friend of a friend told him that once in the early 1960's he was walking in a posh neighborhood.  As he approached a driveway he heard a powerful car coming, so he stopped to wait.  A black Cadillac tried to make its way between the brick posts and slammed into one of them even though there was plenty of clearance on either side.  My friend's friend was examining the bumper of the Caddy when the driver joined him.  It was Miss Loretta Young.  They studied it together for a few moments, then Miss Young turned to him and said, "I never could drive."  She got back into the car and roared off.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2004, 04:21:36 PM »

People can come visit me in the home and tell whatever damn stories they like.  We'll stay all night and we'll sing 'em all.  

Now, we are headin' towards 20,000 posts in the next day or so - if this had been last week we'd have made it in a trice - but this is this week and people aren't in their posting frenzy mode, despite the same number of people perusing the board.

Danise

« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2004, 04:33:57 PM »

Good evening all!  I've seen a lot that I would like to comment on so please bear with me.  This might take a post or two.

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Congrats to Laura II!  Way to go![/move]

I would like to say that I have heard more about opinions in the last 3 days then I have in the past year.  You have NO idea.  Must be something in the air or the water.

TCB said:
Panni, I am so sorry about the anniversary of your mother's death. My mother was killed ten years ago, this Friday.

My most sincere condolences to both of you.  Time does NOT heal all wounds.

Quote from: td on Yesterday at 11:36:32pm
Personal question time:

I know that a while ago, BK tried out an online dating service.
Well, over the weekend, I too, "joined" a couple of online "personals," (which is dating, without dinner).
So, have any other DRs tried the internet for meeting, greeting, dating and possibly mating? ? ?
Would any DRs try online ads or dating services?
Share your experiences.

Matt H said:
Yes, my pic and info are still at one or two places, the places where you can have your info placed there for free but if you want to contact someone you see in their listings, it costs. The only communications I had were from people who were just too far away from me; I knew it wouldn't work out.

I also have my profile and pics at gay.com but most people only check them out if you go sit in one of the chat rooms, and then their curiosity causes them to pull down your profile and read it. I've been contacted some and had a few dates, but they didn't turn into anything lasting or meaningful.

Please be careful, both of you.  I know it's possible to meet someone that way but it's also very dangerous.  I won't post the whole thing here but if you go over to BBW on the Off topic board you will see my post about the 2 who were missing for 20 days before they were important enough make the news.

I also loved the rainbow picture.  I remember looking for at a rainbow once and wishing I could find the pot of gold at the end of it.  I swear, I looked down and a $20.00 bill was laying about a foot from where I was standing.  It was one of the most magic things that has ever happen to me.

Tomovoz said:
I have heard that Michael Ball does it well - and often!
 If only we could get him to do it here in the States!  Sigh! :D

I think I'm almost caught up.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2004, 04:35:26 PM »

Are we on a dinner break?  They're dropping like flies, and the people who are still here are posting like flies - dead flies.  Remember, dead flies can't post.  That sounds like a noir title, doesn't it.  Let's get some postin' goin' on, shall we?  Or maybe we should ALL just take a fershluganah dinner break and have one GIANT lull.  Yes, that's the ticket - one giant LULL.  

Danise

« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2004, 04:36:11 PM »

Flattery, as you know TCB, will get you . . .

A pair of tickets to a show?  Eggs and bacon?  Pancakes?  A winning lotto ticket?

The mind boggles......
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2004, 04:37:37 PM »

Good evening!

-What a lovely number of posts!  Great stories!  Great anecdotes!  Great humor!  Great discourse!  And still very civilized and respectful!

Well, I think I'm ready for NYC.  I did my laundry - FIVE loads! - and had a wonderful time catching up with Garnett, my laundromat lady.  Got my hair cut - and went to a new barber - and, will most likely go back again - great cut!  Made a stop at Old Navy to pick up a cheap pair of jeans - while folding my laundry I noticed that one pair I had planned to bring up was starting to show it's wear in one too many places.   :o  Then I headed back to the apartment, put everything away, re-dressed my bed, and actually packed my big ole duffel for the trip.  Now, all I have to do is not keep looking in my dresser and closet for other clothes to pack - I will NOT overpack.  Luckily(?), since the weather is supposed to be cold - under 30 for most of the time we'll be up there - "warmth" is taking precedence over "style". ;-)

So, now I'm sitting here, watching TV (news and now cooking programs), and my friend, Mark, will be coming by in a little bit so that we can grab a bite to eat.  -I still have yet to re-stock my fridge since returning last Thursday.  -But come next Monday - Watch Out!  *And I have a pretty good feeling that there will be plenty of cookie baking going on.

-Oh, and I haven't been meaning to "ignore" any of the DRs who reside in the NY environs in regards to my trip up this week.  I'm purposely keeping the days sort of free form for me and Steve since each night at 8:00 - and 2:00 on Saturday, we'll know where we'll be.  We also both want to do some really touristy things this time round - since I usually end up taking him to some of the more "off the beaten path things".  However, I do have the Museum of New York at the top of the "possibilities" list.  And it's been ages since I've been to the Metropolitan Museum - and Steve's never been - this will be only his third trip up to NYC - which coincides with how many times we've been up to NYC together.

Well, I'm babbling, and I should be getting ready for dinner...  Let's see if there are five more pages of posts to catch up on again when I get back!
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2004, 04:45:31 PM »

Panni, I have a deal with the lovely wife that goes: If I get to diapers and drooling, please shoot me!"  It works both ways.  Julieanne's is even stricter than mine. She'll say things like:  "If you ever see me wearing helmet hair, shoot me."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2004, 04:46:02 PM »

DR JOSE I am sure you will enjoy the museum!   ;D

WOW!  When they made a Deanna Durbin movie, they gave you EVERYTHING.  Fifteen minutes ago everyone was dancing to the Hawaiian War Chant, and now she's singing "Ave Maria."   :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2004, 04:47:28 PM »

OH, and DR JRand - I was thinking of the cover for the first album. ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2004, 04:52:57 PM »

I meant to ask--I saw a commercial today for TMM at the Ruth Eckard Hall in St. Pete.  Is Juliana part of that group?  If so I must try to go see it.  

I won't go at night--Wild horses wouldn't drag me over that bridge to St. Pete alone at night but if there is a matinee, I might try to give it a go.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Laura II

« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2004, 04:57:18 PM »

First off, thank you JRand, Jenn, Maya, and Danise!!!

TCB and Panni, you are both in my thoughts during these tough days.

Welcome to DR goldes!

Cy Coleman songs (I don't know that many.): "On the Other Side of the Tracks"  and "Real Live Girl"

Uncle Woody, I love dachshunds! My next-door neighbors have a dachshund named Jack, and he is my favorite doggie ever!

Em, glad you didn't get hurt during the coffee incident! Yay for having stories to tell!

"Average Joe: Hawaii"
Jenn, I don't like David either! I kinda feel bad for him, though. I was not surprised at all that she got rid of Sam--he barely talked to her, too many awkward silences, and then he said that she was missing out? You have to be able to communicate! Ugh. Anyway, these guys are definitely not my type either, but I thought the thing with Tony (is that the artist guy's name?) was sweet. :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 04:59:25 PM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jed

« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2004, 05:01:19 PM »

Here's a very abbreviated list of some favorite Coleman songs:  Pink Taffeta Sample, Size 10; Funny; With Every Breath I Take
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Laura II

« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2004, 05:04:12 PM »

Danise, if the TMM commercial was for the tour, then yes, Juliana is a part of it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2004, 05:06:13 PM »

DRJOSE - the only illustration I could find of the first CD was very DARK, so I went with Volume 2.

Have a great trip!!!  Enjoy the shows!  I know you will!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 05:17:51 PM by JRand53 »

Laura II

« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2004, 05:26:29 PM »

Oh. my. gosh. Wow. I just got in touch with an old friend from middle school. She's engaged now. They're waiting until they're 21 to get married. Mal and Mikers are getting married after college. (He hasn't formally proposed yet. He kind of asked for my help with ideas and such.) All I can say is wow. I was talking to Drew about this, and an old classmate of ours just proposed to his girlfriend, and they're getting married this summer. It's amazing that some of our friends are about to take such a huge step in their lives while the rest of us don't even have significant others.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2004, 05:31:53 PM »

ANOTHER LULL?  What is this, lull-day?  I'm nauseous right now (not because of the lull).

Danise

« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2004, 05:48:27 PM »

Danise, if the TMM commercial was for the tour, then yes, Juliana is a part of it!

Weeelll then....  Guess I'm going to have to see if I can make it!

I only have the 2 dogs but Bear is a small pony.  To think he was a little 5 lb puppy when I first brought him home.  The runt.

It used to be a case of my letting him sleep with me, now I think he lets me sleep with him!  I fight for covers and he growls at me if I disturb him.  I must have been moving around to much the other night  because he HIT me with his paw!  I want to point out up front that I do NOT snore.  That I'm aware of.  Despite what my Mom (who has a hard time hearing the TV) says.  There's a lot of traffic on our street. I think she gets confused.  And if I did I'm sure it would be a sinus thing.

Brandi likes the floor or outside (in the spring/summer).  Thank God!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2004, 05:51:04 PM »

Just put up a new column at The DVD Place - check it out - it's all about other region DVDs and players.  Be sure to post comments and/or questions.

Robin

« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2004, 05:55:27 PM »

OK, I feel that I must, simply must reply to the question of "internet dating", with my personal success story in that arena.  

I'd been alone for far, far too long, and the fact of the matter was that I was getting a bit restless.  And, of course, rather randy if you know what I mean and I think you do.  So I gave on-line dating a try.  I was candidly honest 'bout myself.  I was not only honest about what I saw as my good qualities, but also about my faults.   And whaddaya know, it worked.  We've been deleriously happy together now for the last six years.  

After quite a few tries, anyway.  There are some profoundly dysfunctional people out there, and I think I met a good percentage of them on my quest for Mr. Right.

So, by all means...try it.  Use your common sense.  But be careful.  I cannot stress that enough.  No, sirree....cannot stress that enough.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 05:58:33 PM by Robin Anderson »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2004, 05:57:27 PM »

Just put up a new column at The DVD Place - check it out - it's all about other region DVDs and players.  Be sure to post comments and/or questions.

I must check that out.  I've been (rather lethargically, I admit) investigating getting a region-free player...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2004, 06:04:57 PM »

I see that Mr. Blackwell has a new list for the new year.  I met him once.  He didn't say a thing about my clothes.  I think he was jealous.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2004, 06:14:45 PM »

Been there.  Did that.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up