Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND COMETH  (Read 25768 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE WEEKEND COMETH
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2006, 07:05:45 PM »

And I've already washed and dried the dishes and cleaned the kitchen too!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »

OOOHH!!!!

And Page Seven Too!!!

In honor of the Olympics in Torino - and my dinner, come to think of it...  Let's all...

TARANTELLA!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2006, 07:12:49 PM »

Sorry for expressing my insignificant opinion, but I just wish Kristin would have learnt to sing not SO MUCH through her nose! Her voice would gain in "grandeur" because she's NOT Barbara Cook at all! Not that she has to be either!(I'm referring to "her" Glitter And Be Gay!)

I like her voice except for those dreadful nasal sounds!

I actually thinks she "records" more nasal than she really is.  She does get a bit too "forward" when I've heard her live, but I've also heard her sing more "rounded".  However, I think her nasal/forward quality is a hallmark of her voice, and just the "fault" of her physiognomy.  -And, on a practical and acoustical note, it's her forward, pingy placement that allows her voice to be heard over an orchestra even though it not really a "big" voice.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »

Well, DR Jose, since I respect your opinion and since my one listen was in the car (not always the best way to enjoy music), I will give this CD another try.  DH Richard and I are not  huge fans of contemporary inspirational music, preferring traditional hymns and classical sacred music.  It has made church-going somewhat problematic for us; even the church where he grew up and we were married, which was renowned for its music program, has gone "pop."

Well... Even I'd say it's more of a fun album rather than a good one.  I don't think an actual CCM artist could get away with recording such an album - just too many different styles and sounds.  -Well, maybe they could, but later in their career.

Give it another listen, but maybe just a track or two at a time.  Otherwise, it can sound like a Greatest Hits compilation if you get my drift.

Oh... Thank you for your "respect".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2006, 07:18:45 PM »

I knew it was Earl Scruggs.  Why did I think Earnest?  This tired old whore's heading for bed.

Hmm, working late this evening?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2006, 07:44:59 PM »

I'm happy for him that he is still able to work in such a competitive environment - and in the snow.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2006, 07:53:31 PM »

Watched M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY first off tonight. No, I don't think it's consistently hilarious. I think it gets off to a slow start, but honestly there are three or four set pieces in this that are screamingly funny to me. The Criterion DVD looks very good apart from a few minor scratches.

And obviously Rowlin Atkinson's BEAN studied Tati's movies very carefully.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François de Paris

« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2006, 07:54:06 PM »

I actually thinks she "records" more nasal than she really is.  She does get a bit too "forward" when I've heard her live, but I've also heard her sing more "rounded".  However, I think her nasal/forward quality is a hallmark of her voice, and just the "fault" of her physiognomy.  -And, on a practical and acoustical note, it's her forward, pingy placement that allows her voice to be heard over an orchestra even though it not really a "big" voice.

I agree with you (physiognomy...) while I still believe that if her voice had been trained properly it would not remain at "nose level" but placed in the forehead, in the "masque" as we say in French, (i think it's what you say when using the term "rounded"!) and that is only achieved with the proper technic. Now, her voice is that unique that she can give it very different "colours" if needed!

Aren't we technical?! ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2006, 07:54:48 PM »

Greatly enjoyed IN JUSTICE tonight. A real heart-thumper/nail-biter this week.

spoiler - - - - - -

and very, very sad.

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2006, 07:59:18 PM »

Finished the evening with the skating recap show in HD on cable. It was great seeing Evan Lysechek's program again, the skate of the night for me. I wish they had shown Matt Savoie's program. Would have enjoyed seeing it since I read nice things about it (didn't catch it on the program last night). I could have done without seeing Joubert's or Lambiel's programs again, but they didn't show the whole thing.

They also showed some of Emily Hughes' first practice skate at the games today. She landed everything they showed and seemed in very good spirits, very up and focused. I wish her the best.

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2006, 08:00:25 PM »

I think tomorrow, apart from watching the last disc in the CSI boxed set, I'm going to revisit the DVD of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2006, 08:02:44 PM »

Yes, I read the report on AOL about the snowboarding at the Olympics. I was frankly astonished.

François de Paris

« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2006, 08:09:36 PM »

Greatly enjoyed IN JUSTICE tonight.

I NEVER ever enjoy INJUSTICE and think it's something we should all fight against! ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2006, 08:41:54 PM »

I NEVER ever enjoy INJUSTICE and think it's something we should all fight against! ;)

There is no groaning at HHW.com!   ::)

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2006, 08:42:43 PM »

Heading down for bed now. Since I got only around five hours of sleep last night, I'm very tired and hope sleep comes more easily tonight.

Good night, all!

MBarnum

« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2006, 08:48:32 PM »

Here is an interesting DVD that I found on Amazon.com today...has anyone seen this? It is a TV "spectacular" from 1955 starring Keith Andes as Strauss. It sounds very interesting.

MBarnum

« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2006, 08:50:02 PM »

And BK have you heard anything about the region 2 release of THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN?

I am trying to decide if I should buy it or wait and see if Universal ever decideds to release it in the U.S. during my lifetime.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2006, 08:55:13 PM »

An Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt reference DR François.
A "bluegrass" duo possibly best known in the pop world for "The Ballad Of Jed Clampett"

Mrs. Earl Scruggs died this week.  Hopefully, they put her in the ground ASAP.  Let's put an end to these lallygagging burials!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »

I'm not ashamed to admit... I'm watching curling right now and, by God, I'm enjoying it!  :D

cool!!  It is a fun sport to watch DR Jed...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2006, 09:11:45 PM »

I think that my AOL service has finally gone over the edge.  Their headline news story on my AOL main screen is a story telling me that Coretta Scott King has died..... apparently again.

Oh brother!!!
-- LOL
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jennifer

« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2006, 09:12:30 PM »

Olympics snowboarding spoiler.

>
>
>
>
>
>

DR Rodzinski I know exactly which race you are referring to. I didn't realize that that "person" involved was American.  But that snowboarding cross thingie is the weird sport i was trying to describe this morning.

It is the strangest thing. 4 skiiers just go down these moguls on snowboards AT THE SAME TIME.  The American was blowing the field away (well granted the 2 Canadians had crashed off the course).  But the US woman was going to win for sure. And then right right before the end she sort of hotdogged around and went off the course. It was truly shocking. And I'm sure it must be the most horrible feeling. I feel bad for her.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2006, 09:13:34 PM »

An Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt reference DR François.
A "bluegrass" duo possibly best known in the pop world for "The Ballad Of Jed Clampett"

Earl Scruggs is a legend. He just recorded with the Chieftains a few years ago.

Jennifer

« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »

And re: the conclusion results for tonight's DANCING WITH THE STARS.

I just got home and tuned in to the last 10 minutes. And I must say I am livid.  Jerry Rice is clearly the worst dancer. He had to have gotten the most fan votes. Lisa (rinna) and stacey (wrestler) were the bottom two, and lisa went home. Now lisa was my fav, but that is not the only reason i am totally annoyed. I don't think the fans votes should carry more weight than the judges votes. Especially when the fans are clearly not voting for the best dancers.

It's infuriating. I know Jerry Rice is the most well known of the stars.  And I realize he tries. But he has not made that much progress and seems stuck at the same level.  I feel so bad for lisa. :(

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2006, 09:16:36 PM »

My brother called me yesterday and sang "Cheney's got a gun".. (As in Aerosmith's JANIE'S GOT A GUN)  I can't get the stupid thing out of my head now....I hate it when that happens

I hear you... For the longest time I had a stupid little ditty stuck in my head. The melody is the largo movement from Bizet's Carment and the words, well we wont go there....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2006, 09:20:52 PM »

Mrs. Earl Scruggs died this week.  Hopefully, they put her in the ground ASAP.  Let's put an end to these lallygagging burials!

DRDan, I hope they do not go anywhere near DOOL. She wont be buried until May or June.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2006, 09:23:06 PM »

And re: the conclusion results for tonight's DANCING WITH THE STARS.

I just got home and tuned in to the last 10 minutes. And I must say I am livid.  Jerry Rice is clearly the worst dancer. He had to have gotten the most fan votes. Lisa (rinna) and stacey (wrestler) were the bottom two, and lisa went home. Now lisa was my fav, but that is not the only reason i am totally annoyed. I don't think the fans votes should carry more weight than the judges votes. Especially when the fans are clearly not voting for the best dancers.

It's infuriating. I know Jerry Rice is the most well known of the stars.  And I realize he tries. But he has not made that much progress and seems stuck at the same level.  I feel so bad for lisa. :(

I had it on in the background.. I thought all the stars had guts to get out there and do it. Fans will vote for their favorites.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2006, 09:25:33 PM »

DR Jennifer, do you watch any of the hockey games?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2006, 09:30:56 PM »

Quite a shocking turn of events this evening on DANCING WITH THE STARS.  It just goes to show that no one is safe unless everyone votes for their choices.

I do like DANCING, and although I realize that it is not great televsion, and that many at this site have already expressed their displeasure regarding the show; to me, this show is a throwback to a kinder and gentler time.  This is as close to a variety show as you can find on television these days.  Where else would you see a Michael Bublé or a Bill Medley (performing with his own daughter) backed by a full orchestra; and receiving a standing ovation besides.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2006, 09:33:41 PM »

Evening folks. Here's an odd LP with a pleasant cover. It's by the 101 Strings Orchestra on the A/S label out of Burbank, Cal. But what it really is is a compilation of various 101 Strings stuff with a woman moaning over the music in sheer ecstasy. There are also a couple smarmy poems like a guy reciting "This Guy's In Love With You" as if he's speaking to a woman on the phone:
"What's that? Why, yes! Yes I'm in love, baby. Who looks at you the way I do?"...

It is packaged nicely. If you open up the LP, there is a giant gatefold shot of the lovely cover lady.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2006, 09:35:46 PM »

Jennifer-
That snowboarding thing was crazy, was it not? I think she's going to be remembered for a long time, unfortunately.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up