Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ST. VITUS'S DANCE  (Read 24332 times)

Jennifer

Re:ST. VITUS'S DANCE
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »

Last night's "American Idol" auditions from North Carolina were, at their best, a hoot and a half.

I cannot believe most of the wannabes actually think they can sing...how on earth could they?  

I could imagine it if they were 10-12 years old...but most were in their 20s...and apparently very emotionally immature and...out of touch with anything remotely linked to reality.  

There were 2 people from last night's show that i really enjoyed. One was the 19 yr old with long blonde hair (the one with the grandpa). I really liked her.  And the other was the sweet black girl with the famous grandma.

As for why these contestants believe they can sing, well I think some are deluded. I also think some just want to be on tv.  But I think that some of the ones who make it to paul/randy/simon are led to believe they are decent singers.

By the time they get to the real judges these singers have already made it through a few preliminary rounds.  Imagine if you had made it through 4 rounds only to be told that you were horrible.  I'd think that most of them that make it to the final round probably think they are at least decent.

I'd be curious to know what these people are told (about why they keep making it through the preliminary rounds). I can't imagine they are told outright that they are good. BUt it wouldn't surprise me if they are encouraged or told "wow, i've never heard anything like that".

Does anybody know what these contestants are told?

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2006, 10:20:47 AM »

DR Jason, hope you feel better.

DR MattH, even though i stopped watching BOOK OF DANIEL after one or two episodes (just wasn't liking it enough to keep watching) I am still very annoyed that NBC dropped it.

I think that it is crazy that they drop new shows so quickly.  And feel that they should at least show the 6 episodes already filmed.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2006, 10:21:15 AM »

Does anybody know what these contestants are told?

Perhaps one of us should audition so we can report. I am highly qualified to be a bad singer on AI.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2006, 10:22:42 AM »

No rain so far. I don't think we are going to get any, either. But the change in atmospheric pressure is giving me a terrible headache.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2006, 10:29:44 AM »

JMK - I remember those posts now - I'm quite senile, you know, and getting worse every day.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2006, 10:33:13 AM »

Talking to the Northwest Natural Gas lady and she told me that I might have to pay $2000 to get a gas line to my house, depending on what type of gas furnace is being installed  :o

On top of the $3700 for the furnace itself.

She is going to talk to the furnace man and get back to me....that is if my heart hasn't plum given out by then.

That's just installation...what on earth is gas going to COST YOU -- since I'm told the prices have quadrupled since last winter????

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 10:35:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2006, 10:47:32 AM »

NW Natural is actually (relatively) affordable.  We have close to 3,000 sq. ft., with some draft problems through some old windows (which are about to get replaced, hoorah), and our "equal pay" plan is $67.00/month.  Usually by the 9th or 10th month we're paid up, with a credit balance, and so get 2-3 months with no bill.  Yes, it has gone up (it used to be around $58-60/month), but I know people with oil and/or electric heat who are paying a heckuva lot more than we do, for homes much smaller than ours.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jason

« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2006, 10:53:27 AM »

D-t-M: The most requested show that isn't ready for release? Lately that's been RENT. MILLIE has also been highly sought-after for many months, but it's about to be released in the next month or so, I believe.

We've also had a lot, and I mean THOUSANDS, of requests for WILLY WONKA and WILLY WONKA JR. The rights are tied up right now, so we can't release either of them, but people are going nuts for it.

And somehow a rumor got out that NEWSIES is being released, which it isn't. If Disney has anything to say about it, NEWSIES will never be adapted for the stage.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »

D-t-M: The most requested show that isn't ready for release? Lately that's been RENT. MILLIE has also been highly sought-after for many months, but it's about to be released in the next month or so, I believe.

We've also had a lot, and I mean THOUSANDS, of requests for WILLY WONKA and WILLY WONKA JR. The rights are tied up right now, so we can't release either of them, but people are going nuts for it.

And somehow a rumor got out that NEWSIES is being released, which it isn't. If Disney has anything to say about it, NEWSIES will never be adapted for the stage.

What about Little Women?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2006, 10:57:48 AM »

Yes, talking to people who have gas and people who have electric, gas is much cheaper for heating.

I don't know how it compares with oil heat. My oil heat was always very inexpensive.

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2006, 10:59:26 AM »

And of course the heat (radiator) and electricity at my apartment was free.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »

The idea is to get it with a stock and amateur house like Samuel French or Dramatist's Play Service.  If anyone has a contact at either place, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll do it myself, because I should think it's a natural for stock and amateur and regional theaters - a three-hand, one-set thriller.

BK, there's a Samuel French office in LA; call the office, ask if there's a dramatic editor who might be interested in considering the play for their catalogue and invite him/her to come and see it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2006, 11:21:27 AM »

I can no longer remember what words we've had.  But, some words deserve encores, don't you think?

I tell the lad I'm more than glad, it's reciprocity!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2006, 11:22:15 AM »

Indeed....like a fine wine....or an excellent BM.

I hope that's bon mot and not bowel movement.

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2006, 11:53:26 AM »

Hell must indeed be freezing over department:  I am listening to the OLC of Woman in White and am not, repeat not, gagging.
Sadnest news of the day.
I can't get throught it withour remembering the horrors of the production - and the tedium.  The IMAX musical!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2006, 12:00:48 PM »

Hello to DRJOEY!
....it has an undertaste.....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2006, 12:06:08 PM »

Thanks for the info , Jason.  I guess we should prepared ouselves for the eventual onslaught of RENT productions then.

Speaking of Disney:

They announced that they purchased Pixar yesterday.  I guess that's good for Disney for the time being.  It's good in that John Lassitar becomes head of all Disney animation (hopefully, no more CHICKEN LITTLEs).  Not so sure how I feel about Steve Jobs gaining a seat on the Disney board, though.

Also, what's HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL about?  I thought it was going to be a theatrically released movie, and then I heard that it was a movie on the Disney Channel, and then I thought I heard that it's an actual series.  The soundtrack is #1 on iTunes currently.  Any word on this?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2006, 12:23:23 PM »

Had a lovely meeting at Disney - couldn't ask for nicer people.  I think I'll have a good time doing these promos, and one presumes if I do a good job, there might be others.  I'm telling you, one of these per month would be faboo.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »

Also, what's HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL about?  I thought it was going to be a theatrically released movie, and then I heard that it was a movie on the Disney Channel, and then I thought I heard that it's an actual series.  The soundtrack is #1 on iTunes currently.  Any word on this?

I watched it last Friday night; I thought it wasn't very good, but I wasn't the audience it was geared to.

Jason

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2006, 12:44:51 PM »

What about Little Women?

We just acquired the rights to LITTLE WOMEN, but it's still touring, so it's off limits for right now.

Jason

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2006, 12:49:16 PM »

I just found out that my friend, Julie, is buying me another ticket to come up to Boston next weekend. She's been very supportive and encouraging and wants me to be around friends, so she's having me back up to visit her. I'm incredibly lucky blessed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 12:49:50 PM by Jason »

Jason

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »

Hi, Jose! :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2006, 01:07:23 PM »

Hi, Jason!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2006, 01:08:28 PM »

...And why don't you have Julie buy you a ticket to take the train down to DC?  -This way you could catch the closing weekend of Damn Yankees next weekend.

-Although... When is your birthday again?

;)

Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »

Good Afternoon!

It was one of those mornings where once I got out of bed and put my feet on the floor, I was in "get out of the house and to the theatre mode".  I wasn't exactly running late, but when you have a Noon matinee, and you have to be at the theatre at 11:15, and run an errand or two on the way in, so...

Whew!

...But I'm here!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2006, 01:11:09 PM »

I also woke up a bit sniffly, so...  Thankfully, it feels like I'm already on the "downside" of this quasi-cold.   -And I bought a package of Coldcalm at Whole Foods this morning, and it really does seem to be working.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2006, 01:12:38 PM »

...And for this matinee today, we not only had one actor out with laryngitis, but we also had a violin player out for most of the first act due to a brain fart.

::)

Ah, Musicians - Can't live with 'em... Can't shoot 'em.  -Unless you have previous approval from the Local.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »

For Ask BK Day-

What the frell prompted St. Vitus's Dance to pop in your head?  Did you receive a Saint-A-Day calendar for Christmas?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2006, 01:19:18 PM »

...And sometime between now and 6:00am tomorrow morning, I need to get my stuff together for San Francisco...

I've checked in with the Assistant Conductor earlier today - he'll be on the podium tomorrow - and I'm gonna call him when I get in.  They have a matinee tomorrow, as it turns out, so if I'm feeling like it, I may do a "pit observance".  However, I'm pretty sure I'll just be wandering the streets of San Francisco tomorrow afternoon.  -Wow!  I guess it is tomorrow afternoon...

And while digging through the various pieces of luggage that are stored in my parents' basement, I found a great overnight bag.  Lots of compartments - half of it seems geared towards clothes and toiletries, and the other half is geared toward computer and office necessities.  AND it has a retractable handle and wheels!  Guess what I'll be toting to SFO tomorrow?  :)

-And it also looks like it's never been used.  I'm guessing my parents bought a set and have just been using the larger pieces.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2006, 01:22:33 PM »

Well...I wonder how much I could get a bus ticket to DC for...

I'm going to visit her again on the 3rd. Are you going to be crazed this weekend??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up