Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BOCA BURGER  (Read 31950 times)

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:BOCA BURGER
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2005, 09:09:24 AM »

Lovely pics DRGEORGE.  You and MBARNUM don't look like wallflowers to me!

Nice house, DRJMK.  But where are all the HUGE Frances Farmer pictures?  You don't put them away when company comes, do you?

DR HISAKA, what a lovely Chagall painting.  I had never seen it before.

....it has an undertaste.....

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2005, 09:13:09 AM »

yes Labanotation is used for Choreography.  ;D

http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~griesbec/LABANE.HTML

And not that ANY of my choreography will EVER need to be copyrighted, for my own notes for future productions, I used the Benesh system....it's a great computer program that I had on my old computer, and hopefully I can find the disk and put on this one for PIPPIN!  8)

http://www.benesh.org/computerisation.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 09:13:31 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2005, 09:13:53 AM »

And one for Ory-gun!

Geography is not my strongest suit.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 09:27:30 AM by JRand54 »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2005, 09:55:07 AM »

PHILISTINE--that was Andrea Martin's role in the Hedwig and the Angry Inch movie.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2005, 10:04:14 AM »

Ireland it is for me, then.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2005, 10:08:08 AM »

I thought the Philistines were all at the Temple of Dagon to see Samson today.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2005, 10:10:04 AM »

I thought the Philistines were all at the Temple of Dagon to see Samson today.

Is his band back together?  I love their version of "Delilah."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2005, 10:23:31 AM »

I'd love to live in New York and London for the theater/theatre and no other reason. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2005, 10:24:10 AM »

As long as there are no roaches where I live. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2005, 10:25:28 AM »

Quote of the day yesterday:  As we were experiencing the Actifed crisis and BK was (gently--kind of ;)) berating a clerk at a store for not having the Actifed out, his phone rang.  "Who could that be?" queried BK.  "It's probably God calling you to tell you to be nice to me," replied the clerk.

Well, I thought it was hilarious.

LOL!! ;D

(actually, I'm ROTFLMAO!!)

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2005, 10:36:42 AM »

Hi, All - It's taken me a while to get here today, because first I had to see R&r off for their first day of summer school at UC, then here at work had to teach a 3-hour grantseeking basics workshop.  Is it naptime yet?

Loved the Portland pictures!  DR's George and MBarnum look nothing like the wallflowers they both claimed to be.  Add me to the list of those who'd like to be there.

TOD - I'll take Manhattan...

Actually, DH Richard and I have seriously discussed trying to spend some extended periods of time in NYC once we both retire.  Someday, I might call upon elmore, Ben, Rodzinski, Jose and anybody else who might know of sublets, housesitting, etc.  Probably not for 3-5 years, though.

My second choice would be a major university community like Ann Arbor (of course).  Or the houseboat Tom Hanks' character lived in in Sleepless in Seattle.

Most days, sitting behind the wheel, I'd just like to live closer to my workplace.  And I don't want another house, with a lawn and gutters and all that - give me a condo (preferably high-rise) any day.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2005, 10:50:10 AM »

Good Afternoon!

What a lovely number of posts to wake up to!

-Of course, since I didn't get out of bed until about an hour ago...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2005, 10:52:30 AM »

DR JMK - Thanks for the artist info.  I thought they were musically inclined, so to speak.  And most likely substance inclined too.

;)

They actually reminded me of Liszt's manuscript for his Piano Sonata in B-Minor.  Henle publises a wonderful reprint/reproduction of it.  Lots of different colors in it to delineate the themes,leitmotifs, and "structure".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2005, 10:55:59 AM »

DR JRand - If I had gotten up earlier...;)

Yes, Labanotation - or the Americanized "Laban Notaion" - is used to notate choreography.  It's quite a neat little system.  I even tried learning it at one point when I was in college.

...Then I decided I'd rather play dance rehearsals rather than notate them

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2005, 11:00:48 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - Now that I think of it, every production of Evita I've seen has more or less uses/borrowed/aped/stolen Hal Prince's staging and Larry Fuller's choreography.

And the whole "Originally directed by Hal Prince" line is required per the licensing agreement with R&H (formerly Tams-Witmark).

But I don't think I've seen the same byline for Larry Fuller.  However, Larry Fuller seems to "supervise" each major production and tour that goes out - including the one currently on the road.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2005, 11:02:31 AM »

Hmmm....

And even most of the major productions of Sweeney Todd have "paid homage" to Mssrs. Prince and Fuller.

Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2005, 11:06:16 AM »

Speaking of coming into megamillions, does anyone here play the lottery?

We don't have the lottery in North Carolina (though it looks like the legislature may finally vote to allow it), but South Carolina has it, and we live close enough to the border for lots of people to go there and buy tickets. I don't go to the trouble of driving there to get tickets, but if it were just a matter of popping down to the convenience store a block from my house, I probably would play each week.

I don't go out of my way to play the lottery  but if I happen to be in a store that sells them 9a 7 -Elven, stationary store etc, and I have a loose dollar in my change I will usually pick one up.  ,My biggest win so far was  $100 on a scratchoff game,  and that was years ago!  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2005, 11:06:30 AM »

Speaking of Sweeney Todd, it looks like I may be going to see the current production that the Wolf Trap Opera Company is in the midst of.  I'm just waiting to get confirmation of my Mamma Mia! schedule for this week.

The production sold out in a few hours after the tickets went on sale.  It's being produced in the smaller Barns rather than the Filene Center.  It seems that a couple of pairs and singles have been popping up.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2005, 11:11:27 AM »

Hello, DR VIXMOM!
Sorry, but I have no idea what kind of the show "Sukara" is.
Tell me some about it. I'm curious.

Its about a young woman of Japanese ancestory who was raised in Hawaii, whio is now attending living with a  family in Japan (I believe they are related in some way, cousins, or aunt & uncle)  while studying Japanese culture. It is the story of  her adventures there.    

I watch it in Japanese with English subtitle although occassionally she will run into another American and then start speaking English and suddenly Japenese subtitles pop up

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2005, 11:13:16 AM »

As for the lottery...

I go through phases where I'll play a couple of the games for a couple of weeks - Pick 3, Pick 4, MegaMillions usually - and then not play at all for a couple of months.

I'm in a phase right now inspired by my Mom's recent "bout" of good luck.   She plays her birthday, and not only did it come up on her birthday, well, actually the day after her birthday, but it also came up the week before, and again this past Friday!  At least $1000 and counting!

The most I've won was $47 for matching three or four numbers out of six a couple of years ago.  And a couple of $1 and $5 prizes from the scratchers.

When my Dad retired from the Coast Guard, one of his going away presents was a bundle of scratch games, 50 tickets in all.  There were TWO $5,000 winners in the bunch!  Happy Retirement indeed!

*Of course, since me and my three brothers had either just finished college or were still in college.... Can you guess where part of that $10,000 went?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2005, 11:14:49 AM »

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »

I'm here, I'm here.  Only briefly, as we're heading out.  Lovely postings, I must say.  I'll check back from JMK's house this afternoon.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2005, 11:16:41 AM »

OH!

It turns out my parents, headed up to Atlantic City for the weekend.

And, yes, my Mom did rather well at the poker tables.  She actually doesn't play, but she was betting on the players at the Carribean Poker table - whatever that is.  Apparently, you bet on who's going to win, and then there's some sort of jackpot listing, and your person wins...

She didn't win a lot, but she came out in the black.

I didn't hear how my father fared.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2005, 11:18:07 AM »

Quote of the day yesterday:  As we were experiencing the Actifed crisis and BK was (gently--kind of ;)) berating a clerk at a store for not having the Actifed out, his phone rang.  "Who could that be?" queried BK.  "It's probably God calling you to tell you to be nice to me," replied the clerk.

Well, I thought it was hilarious.

;D

poor bk  but

;D

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2005, 11:22:20 AM »

And the phone indicator probably read: NO INFORMATION

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2005, 11:22:55 AM »

Can any DR email me an MP3 of the Green Acres theme?  I can only find WAV. files and my CD has disappeared.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2005, 11:28:56 AM »

LOL DR ELMORE - I hear they brought the house down!  :P

George

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2005, 11:29:30 AM »

I don't have the "Green Acres" theme at all.  Sorry.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2005, 11:37:36 AM »

As for Mr. Mantello...

I think a major part of the issue was/is whether or not a "local" audience would be able to tell if a director's staging and choices were solely his own or if they were borrowed from someone else's staging.  -And, consequently, whether the critical praise - or brickbats - would be bestowed upon the "local" director for his innovation - or lack thereof.

Yes, actors will always "make" a different show - even in "original" productions when there's a cast change - or even when an understudy or stand-by goes in.  But when a director just ends up copying someone else's direction... Is it really directing?  Or does it become staging at that point?  Recreating?

In the opera world, there is a lot of "Original Production by...  This production restaged by...." going on.  They acknowledge the original director, and also acknowledge the current "director" - the staging director.  Heck, even stage managers even end up recreating the original director's staging regularly.

Yes, "direction" is essentially ephemera.  The printed word is not.  But how would you feel sitting in a theatre watching a show, and realizing, "Hey, I could have done this!.... WAIT!!  I did do this!"

*And... I really should try to look up the exact details of the Mantello case...  I believe the staging of L!V!C! even had some of the same scene changes duplicated - including the lighting cues.

**On a very personal note - There's a sort of prominent director that I've worked with a few times over the past couple of years.  His work has gotten praised for his "innovation", "resourcefulness", "craftiness", and "originality".  However, there has been more than one instance where his "originality" has been praised to high heaven, and I find myself saying to myself - or even screaming to myself - "Didn't you see the production in London last season?  Didn't you see the production off-Broadway two years ago?  They did the same thing!?!?!?"

And others I know have been saying the same thing.  It reminds me of NBC's catch-phrase for their summer reruns, "It's New To You!"

:-\

Praise is good.  But I also believe it should be it should also be due to whom it is really due.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2005, 11:38:48 AM »

One of my co-workers, a 20 something gal named Amy, asked where I was going this evening (as my name on the board mentions that I am leaving early) and I told her I was going to a book reading by a former actor named Bruce Kimmel....she got this wild eyed look on her face and screamed..."I know him! I have one of his movies!!!"

Turns out Amy is a huge fan of NAKED SPACE! LOL! She has the VHS AND the DVD and has made all of her friends and her husband watch it over the years!

And her favorite character in the movie is...Rodzinski!

She also remembers at least one of BK's appearances in LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY which is her favorite TV show.

Unfortunately, she has plans for this evening and cannot go to the signing tonight, but she would have loved to meet you BK!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 11:40:09 AM by MBarnum »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up