Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BOCA BURGER  (Read 31952 times)

MBarnum

Re:BOCA BURGER
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2005, 07:14:40 AM »

Last night I had the veggie burger, but the previous gathering at JMK's house I had the boca and liked it very much.

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2005, 07:18:40 AM »

A page 3 twist

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2005, 07:22:30 AM »

well time to quiz the Vixter for her Science final at noon
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2005, 07:26:27 AM »

If money were no object, I'd live in New York during the spring and fall, especially when there were new shows to sample. Summer and winter aren't especially comfortable there, so in the winter, I'd head to Hawaii, and in summer, well, I'm so used to the hot humid summers here that I'd probably stay here during the summer time. I have too many friends I wouldn't want to lose touch with completely.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2005, 07:26:51 AM »

Oy, the Actifed.  Oy, the internet.  Oy, the humanity!!  ;)

So's, anyhoo:

Note to George:  your camera is way wacky.  I have NO gray hair.

Note to Jose (pun maybe intended):  artist is Marcus Uzilevsky, who evidently spent years dropping acid and staring at orchestral scores, and then went a little crazy with airbrushes before crashing.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2005, 07:28:29 AM »

To whomever was "discovering" Jobim's Waters of March a few weeks ago:  there's a delicious remixed version out on the new Bossacucanova CD.  Bossacucanova is a trio (headed by the son of Bossa Nova legend Robert Menescal) that does great dance-ready remixes of bossa nova classics.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2005, 07:29:59 AM »

Quote of the day yesterday:  As we were experiencing the Actifed crisis and BK was (gently--kind of ;)) berating a clerk at a store for not having the Actifed out, his phone rang.  "Who could that be?" queried BK.  "It's probably God calling you to tell you to be nice to me," replied the clerk.

Well, I thought it was hilarious.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2005, 07:30:51 AM »

As for TOD:

It would have to NYC for the culture available.
Or LA for the weather,

But since I like Florida, I would like to live about 20 miles south of me in Fort Lauderdale.

New York is always the top of my favorite and longing city list, for the same reason of DR MICHAEL SHAYNE.
Los Angeles, I’m eager to move to the city, especially in this soggy rainy season (in Japan).

JMK

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2005, 07:31:24 AM »

Oooh--Bossacucanova is doing a wicked tripped out version of Jobim's "Bonita".  Cooler than cool.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2005, 07:31:39 AM »

Speaking of coming into megamillions, does anyone here play the lottery?

We don't have the lottery in North Carolina (though it looks like the legislature may finally vote to allow it), but South Carolina has it, and we live close enough to the border for lots of people to go there and buy tickets. I don't go to the trouble of driving there to get tickets, but if it were just a matter of popping down to the convenience store a block from my house, I probably would play each week.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2005, 07:32:19 AM »

TOD from Yesterday;
I’d like to add  “The Birthday” of Chagall on my last-time-favorite- painting list  It makes me happy whenever I see it.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2005, 07:36:49 AM »

Some thoughts about LOST IN THE STARS which I saw for the very first time yesterday.

I've never been wild about the score (there are a couple of pretty songs) and never having seen the show on the stage, I don't know how faithful the film version was to the stage original. Can anyone advise me?

Brock Peters has a powerful voice, but it didn't seem to quite fit the music well. Melba Moore seemed shrill in her one number. Clifton Davis was OK in his singing. Most of it was not wonderfully staged. I think more could have been done with the material.

I read CRY THE BELOVED COUNTRY as a freshman in college, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember if there was more to the story than the film presented. It did seem to end abruptly.

All in all, an OK film, but I'm glad I recorded it off cable and didn't invest in the DVD.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2005, 07:39:53 AM »

Hi Hisaka!!  I was thinking of you last night while watching  my favorite Japanese  show "Sukara".

Hello, DR VIXMOM!
Sorry, but I have no idea what kind of the show "Sukara" is.
Tell me some about it. I'm curious.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2005, 07:39:58 AM »

I've had boca burgers before; they were OK, but I really am a carnivore, so if I'm going to eat a burger, I'd rather it have meat. I've had meatless lasagna before, too. (Made with zuchinni). Give me the regular any time!

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2005, 07:41:52 AM »

Thanks for the pictures of last night's gathering. Nice to see the people enjoying themselves, and I appreciate that these were shared with the rest of us.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 07:43:05 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2005, 07:44:28 AM »

At some point today, I'll watch either PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET (on the DVR) or HEIST (on DVD), probably the former since it's been so long since I've seen it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2005, 08:16:05 AM »

Great photos. JMK,  your house looks awesome. And that drugstore conversation was hilarious indeed.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2005, 08:17:24 AM »

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET, besides being a really good movie, is also a really good title for a movie, in my opinion.

Ben

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2005, 08:18:10 AM »

Phil Ford, comedian and former husband of Mimi Hines has passed away.

Here is a Playbill link

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/93634.html

Ben

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2005, 08:18:46 AM »

Also, the next movie to stage musical transfer in progress seems to be The First Wives Club. Also at Playbill On-Line.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2005, 08:20:33 AM »

I watched a documentary recently called HOME MOVIE about five different odd places that people live in, and I was inspired by this guy who lives on a houseboat in the bayou. That would be cool. I also like Northern California along the Mendocino coast.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2005, 08:33:52 AM »

Back at work -- UGH!

Sinuses are working overtime -- UGH! UGH!

Two weeks before I get a four-day weekend - UGH! UGH! UGH!

Yep, it's a 3-UGH day, thus far!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2005, 08:40:31 AM »

Some thoughts about LOST IN THE STARS which I saw for the very first time yesterday.

I've never been wild about the score (there are a couple of pretty songs) and never having seen the show on the stage, I don't know how faithful the film version was to the stage original. Can anyone advise me?

I read CRY THE BELOVED COUNTRY as a freshman in college, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember if there was more to the story than the film presented. It did seem to end abruptly.

Since I'm crazy about Kurt Weill, I find it a beautiful score, amazingly scored for a chamber ensemble that the film kept, but I hate what it did to the score.

My whole memory now is Melba Moore bellowing out "Trouble Man" as she shakes the clothesline, and because she either couldn't sing it well or the director's vision which changed the pacific end of the piece couldn't see its use, her beautiful song "Stay Well" was cut.  The ending, in which the father of the murder victim and the father of the murderer pledge friendship, was cut.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 08:42:03 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2005, 08:43:58 AM »

I would love to live in Los Angeles, if I were rich and had someone to drive me around...closer to home I wouldn't mind living in some of Portland's ritzy neighborhoods...the ones I can't even afford to drive through, let alone live in. LOL!

For a summer home it might be nice to have something along the New England coast...in one of those charming towns you see in the movies.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2005, 08:53:28 AM »

JMK:  LOVED the Actifed story!

Gave me a long chuckle, it did.  

And, BK -- I TOTALLY understand!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 08:54:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2005, 09:00:31 AM »

BK, sorry about your alergies...I guess that is one of the downfalls of being in such a green state...everything is blooming!

Putting the psuedophedrine behind the counter is a new thing in Oregon...but if the store has it behind the pharmacycounter then they need to have some way for the store manager or other store personnel to retrieve it for the customer during hours that they pharmacy is closed.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2005, 09:01:03 AM »

And who knew that BK had a personal phone line to God! LOL!

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2005, 09:02:12 AM »

I'm really sorry for folks who suffer with allergies and sinus infections. I was truly blessed not to have such respiratory problems, but so many of my friends have them that I tend to suffer with them through the spring, summer, and fall.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2005, 09:05:08 AM »

Thanks for your opinions on LOST IN THE STARS, DR Elmore. I need to get out the cast recording and listen to it again. Since it was done by Decca so long ago, I suspect the score isn't complete there either, but I haven't listened to it in decades. In fact, I only have it on an MCA audio cassette. Anyway, that's something I'll put on my to-listen list for this week.

I have a 45 minute drive to my brother's house tomorrow and could play it on the way there. I had ear-marked that drive to finish up with THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but now I'll have another decision to make.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2005, 09:08:43 AM »

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET, besides being a really good movie, is also a really good title for a movie, in my opinion.

Yes, indeed. I have pretty much decided this will be today's subject of viewing when I get in from lunch with a friend and get other chores out of the way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up