Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: EXCELSIOR!  (Read 18913 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:EXCELSIOR!
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2005, 02:14:08 PM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2005, 02:14:36 PM »

Alone no more!

I've been meaning to tell y'all that the ice cream place near me is called "Yummilicious".

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2005, 02:16:18 PM »

I have a few suits, but none very new or that I am very happy about. My brother-in-law left a nice jacket here by accident, and I wear that on job interviews because it is quite stylish and comfortable.

George

« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2005, 02:20:09 PM »

Page Five Dance:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2005, 02:32:06 PM »

Good morning all.  Didn't have the energy to post a review last night, just caught up on posts and we went off to bed.  
Well, Annie did indeed get her gun.  She also got her man.  Gotta love happy endings.  All in all, a very well done community production.  DR's Tom and Jed were, of course, highlights of the show.  They work marvelously as a duo on stage, a true father/son team...as demonstrated when they both decided to cover another actor's line, and said it in perfect unsion without even looking at one another :)
Annie was very good, overall.  She had a great take on the character, and was an excellent dancer.  My only complaint was that she let the "twang" in her voice get so heavy that it was hard to understand her lyrics sometimes.  Spoken dialogue was just fine, but song lyrics often got totally lost.  

Sounds like she's been listening to the inept Bernadette Peters performance where the twang was so thick nothing was understandable.  Interestingly, Annie Oakley was from outside Cincinnati, and no one I've ever met sounded remotely as moronic as Ms Peters, who should have learned after AGYG to never go near a Merman role again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2005, 02:43:35 PM »

I just got out of the shower (and am dresses

Does this mean, DR George, "am dressed" or morning frocks?

I'm back from my goddaughter's dance recital, which is a part of her classes at Steps on Broadway, a great dance school at 74th and Broadway.  Charlotte's ballet teacher is Leslie Brown, who played Shirley MacLaine's daughter in THE TURNING POINT.  It was a mixture, as most dance recitals can be, of the good, the bad and the ugly (mostly in the costumes) with some really good dancers:  a young man,  Stefan Dolbashian, did a solo from Tchaikovsky's SLEEPING BEAUTY in the first half, and in the second he did tap and boogie to Louis Prima with a wonderful Jillian Stevens, and salsa.  They're training potential stars there, I tell you!  My faves were brothers Sam and Julian Pratt, who are in grades 5 & 6, who are fantastic hiphop and break dancers, cute, funny, and extremely talented.  Some of the choreography was excellent.  The afternoon was too long, but I had a good time with Charlotte's parents.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 02:46:22 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2005, 02:45:32 PM »

You know, I would hate to think how many posts we'd have if we hadn't had our three-and-a-half page frenzy last night, over seventy posts.

George

« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2005, 02:54:47 PM »

Does this mean, DR George, "am dressed" or morning frocks?

spooO!!  But then, I am going to a dance recital!! ;) Maybe I'm just getting into the mood! ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »

Sounds like she's been listening to the inept Bernadette Peters performance where the twang was so thick nothing was understandable.  Interestingly, Annie Oakley was from outside Cincinnati, and no one I've ever met sounded remotely as moronic as Ms Peters, who should have learned after AGYG to never go near a Merman role again.

Larry, please, tell us what you think of Bernadette Peters, the musical comedy star? ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 03:10:15 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2005, 03:11:37 PM »

Bernadette Peters:

I believe she might consider doing SWEENEY TODD!

The title role that is! ( Go ahead, hate me!! LOL!)

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2005, 03:11:42 PM »

You've made a bed of excelsior in the basement, and you go down there and sleep all the time, I know you do.

JRand - I know that line, because in high school I played Monica Breedlove!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

François de Paris

« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2005, 03:13:08 PM »

"Where are my rubbers?
La-la, la-la-la!"

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2005, 03:14:19 PM »

DRRodzinski, yes, the margaritas were very tasty, and I'm sorry you were not with us.  DRBen and I are revving things up for the October gathering of the acolytes.

Well, this acolyte's trip is pretty much put together.  I just made my plane reservations:  Cincinnati to New York on Oct. 3, NY to Atlanta on Oct. 6, and Atlanta to Cincinnati on Oct. 9.  Hotels are booked for both NYC and Atlanta.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2005, 03:21:54 PM »

TOD - Aside from babysitting, which I did a lot, my first real job was office assistant in the pediatrician's office where my mom worked.  I answered phones, made appointments, put patients in examining rooms, washed thermometers and those things the doctor used to look in kids' ears (yuck), and helped my mom with the billing and bookkeeping.  I worked there the summer before starting college and on holiday breaks throughout my freshman year.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2005, 03:27:31 PM »

Hi folks,

Continued get well vibes to DR TomovOz.  I want to hear that you and DP Colin went out dancing!  

Will let you know when we're ready to Bossa Nova DR Danise. I fear the Limbo and the Twist are a long way off. Thank you.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2005, 03:31:14 PM »

Larry, please, tell us what you think of Bernadette Peters, the musical comedy star? ;D

I thought she was great in SUNDAY IN THE PARK and in the film IMPROMPTU; but whenever I see her in a show, I believe at intermission Ms Peters will be indsposed and the understudy will do act two because her voice is shot.  It happened with THE GOODBYE GIRL, INTO THE WOODS (a show I don't like or believe in), and ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, where Ms Peters must be using Lauren Bacall's publicist since neither deserved a Tony for the performance I caught.

I'm also sick of the kewpie doll curls, and I cannot understand the cult raving over her work.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 03:33:47 PM by elmore3003 »

Danise

« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2005, 03:37:35 PM »

Hi folks!  I’m back.  I didn’t get to take the doggies for a walk after all.  I decided to try to mow the yard.  I finished the front and got a little of the back yard done then it started pouring down rain.  Again.

I saw my “friend” again.  Mr. Black Snake.  It was either him or one of his buddies.  This time he was in the front yard.  For not having any legs, he sure could move!  

I was able to snap a few pictures of the “Baby Dragons” that live around my house.  I think they are so adorable.  Note the little toenails.  So cute.  That’s what I hate about the snake.  I know they eat lizards.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2005, 03:40:15 PM »

On the other hand, DRFrancois, I think she's outstanding in the original cast recordings of MACK AND MABEL and DAMES AT SEA.  However, I saw her in neither and both performances are at least 30 years old.  She doesn't have the chops any more, sadly.

Danise

« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2005, 03:41:23 PM »

Look at this guys cool yellow spots!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2005, 03:43:38 PM »

Cool pictures, Danise!!

Danise

« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2005, 03:44:53 PM »

I heard about the quake!  Glad that it wasn’t a big one!

I don’t blame you guys about the suits.  I can’t imagine what it would be like to have wear a hangman’s noose errr tie.  I feel the same way about heels and hose.  Shutter.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2005, 03:46:11 PM »

Thanks, DR George!

One last one.....

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2005, 03:46:18 PM »

Good morning all from Down Under.

On Saturday night I went to a preview performance of the new "musical" -

DIRTY DANCING: THE CLASSIC STORY LIVE ON STAGE.

I insert the word "musical" in inverted commas because it really can't be classed as a muscal as such.  Oh sure, there a are about half a dozen numbers sung on stage, but the rest are recordings played over the dance numbers or the action.

To be fair to the show itself, it is not actually billed as a musical.

The dancing is great, the performances full of energy.  The show is part film (lots of projection work), part drama, part mess...!

I am still undecided as to what I really thought of it.

Having played six months to capacity houses in Sydney, the show will definitely be successful here.  The audience whooped and whistled in all the right places (especially when the male lead took his top off) and reacted to the right lines - "Nobody puts baby in a corner" getting the biggest applause.

Word has it this will tour Australia (and possibly New Zealand) before making its way to the Great White Way.  I will be interested to see what happens to the show along the way.

The 2cd cast recording has just been released and contains all the sung numbers from the show plus the pre-recorded numbers which were also used in the film (and as previously mentioned, are used over the action in the stage show).  Being a sucker for soundtracks I did purchase a copy and admit the recording is actually very good.

I'll let you all know if I hear any more news re the tour itinerary for the show.

Have a wonderful day.

Cheers from me.
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Danise

« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2005, 03:49:12 PM »

Notice the ridge he has.  

They were all over the dog cage the other day.  That's where I took the pictures.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2005, 03:49:55 PM »

Having a relaxing day.  I was taken to the Getty, where I've never been and where I will probably never be again.  I found it very strange - having to take a tram to actually get to the buildings, and then all these hundreds of people wandering around, noisily.  It's like the museum version of Knott's Berry Farm.

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2005, 03:51:10 PM »

I love a show with "muscal" OzDerek. Did you audition (or try out)?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2005, 03:57:10 PM »

Will let you know when we're ready to Bossa Nova DR Danise. I fear the Limbo and the Twist are a long way off. Thank you.

That's ok, DR Tomovoz.  I'll look forward to reading about any kind of dancing just as long as your ok.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2005, 03:59:58 PM »

Today, DS Rob and I went to 2 Target stores for me to look at some file cabinets I saw in their advertising circular.  Didn't really like those, but I did get the computer hutch from the same ensemble.  We spent an hour or so putting it together ( a Sunday in the Park... reference) and it looks very nice on the credenza I fashioned for myself about a year ago.  The hutch could have gone on my computer table, but just didn't look right.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2005, 04:03:26 PM »

Notice the ridge he has.  

They were all over the dog cage the other day.  That's where I took the pictures.  

DRDanise, that's really fascinating about the lizards and black snake.  All the fauna around the house in which I grew up were killed off by air pollution and other pestilence in the late 1960s and early 70s.  We had lots of praying mantises, butterflies, grasshoppers, fireflies, rabbits, bats, garter snakes, and I don't remember seeing any around the neighborhood when I returned home in 1972.  Thanks for the photos!

DRozderek, it's good to see you.

George

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2005, 04:09:11 PM »

Well, I must now be off.  I'm ushering, so I have to get there early.  I also want to get something to eat...but not at home.  I'll be back after the dance recital.  As HHW's very own piano man says, "Laters!" ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up