Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WALTZING INTO APRIL  (Read 26471 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WALTZING INTO APRIL
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2005, 11:57:25 AM »

Oh, and another "waltz" I like is the song "Open Arms".  -All those high school slow dances.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2005, 11:59:20 AM »

OK - I'm gonna head into the theatre to watch some of the understudy rehearsal that's going on.  I just like watching rehearsals.  I also need to check in with the Company Manager too.  It's pay day!

;)

Then I think I'm gonna mosey a little further down Main Street to the Civil Rights Museum.  And then back to the Peabody to catch the Ducks again.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2005, 12:00:56 PM »

If you try to waltz to it, you'll break a leg.  
IT'S A POLKA!!!!!!
[/size]

Have you ever seen me dance?  My dancing is  slightly worse than my singing, and a little bit better than my piano playing
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2005, 12:01:46 PM »

OK - I'm gonna head into the theatre to watch some of the understudy rehearsal that's going on.  I just like watching rehearsals.  I also need to check in with the Company Manager too.  It's pay day!

;)

Then I think I'm gonna mosey a little further down Main Street to the Civil Rights Museum.  And then back to the Peabody to catch the Ducks again.

Laters...

Have a lovely day and take some pictures of the ducks for us!!

Ben

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2005, 12:01:53 PM »

I forgot to mention that when I came home for lunch (some leftover wild rice and green beans with sliced mushrooms and an apple) waiting for me in the mailbox was a lovely gift from our lovely DR Danise. A small but jointed little brown bear popped out of the envelope, unharmed by his trip from Florida to New York City. Thank You Danise! I don't think you know it, (DR Elmore can vouch for us) but we have quite a collection of bears in the apartment. There are some other animals also, a very large Panda (named Ling Park), a couple of dogs, a rabbit, a lamb (both are puppets) and a 22 year collection of Gundy, an annual Christmas release bear from Gund. So our new little friend will be right at home among his many relatives.

Thanks again Danise.

vixmom

« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2005, 12:05:12 PM »

I forgot to mention that when I came home for lunch (some leftover wild rice and green beans with sliced mushrooms and an apple) waiting for me in the mailbox was a lovely gift from our lovely DR Danise. A small but jointed little brown bear popped out of the envelope, unharmed by his trip from Florida to New York City. Thank You Danise! I don't think you know it, (DR Elmore can vouch for us) but we have quite a collection of bears in the apartment. There are some other animals also, a very large Panda (named Ling Park), a couple of dogs, a rabbit, a lamb (both are puppets) and a 22 year collection of Gundy, an annual Christmas release bear from Gund. So our new little friend will be right at home among his many relatives.

Thanks again Danise.

Pictures! We must have pictures!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2005, 12:10:02 PM »

According to Playbill.com, Russell Crowe is considering whether or not to accept the role of Sweeney Todd in the movie!  Discuss.

I'm not sure he could sing the score, but God knows what the screenplay will do to the music (I've read the screenplay for MOST HAPPY FELLA).  However, if I were a producer, I'd beg Russell Crowe to do Arthur in CAMELOT!  I can't think of anyone I feel is more right.  I like the idea of Emma Thopson as Mrs Lovett.

And the "Cookie Ballet" in ANYONE CAN WHISTLE; a lot of waltzes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 12:11:27 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2005, 12:22:19 PM »

Dear elmore...how is your headache?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2005, 12:22:49 PM »

The only thing is if anyone actually bothered to ask Mr. Crowe he would have to say he hasn't been offered the role - no one has.  It's all the same silly stuff that went on during Phantom - you remember Antonio Banderas.  You remember John Travolta.  They were all deciding whether to play the phantom and yet none of them had been offered the role.  Funny that.  It's all a publicist's game.

PARADIGM!

For those who may not know, Your Zowie Face is from one of the Our Man Flint films, and it's by Jerry Goldsmith.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2005, 12:28:55 PM »

Happy B'day, Anne!

Favourite waltz:  "Valse Crepusculaire" by Miklos Rozsa which is also used as the major theme of his score for PROVIDENCE.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2005, 12:30:08 PM »

Welcome six GUESTS!  We're talkin' about waltzes.  And PARADIGMS!

I, too, love the Rozsa Valse Creusculaire - a brilliant piece of writing.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2005, 12:33:59 PM »

At Wall to Wall Sondheim, Mr Sondheim discussed the Sweeney Todd film. He said that the role of Sweeney is now in the hands of an actor that they all hope will do it.
He also mentioned that John Logan,who is working on the screenplay, and Sam Mendes, who will direct, have very specific ideas on how they want Sweeney to be played.

Russell Crowe's rock band, Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts, just announced that they were breaking up.

Coincidence? I think not.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2005, 12:35:06 PM »

What's the Use?  from CANDIDE - forgotten by me! Impossible!

And I think it is the singular from R/H Out of My Dream....

And since we are on this composer, another one I almost forgot:

Ten Minutes Ago from Cinderella!
....it has an undertaste.....

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2005, 12:35:49 PM »

I have heard that Imelda Staunton and Emma Thompson are being considered for Mrs. Lovett. Imelda Staunton won the Olivier Award for her portrayal of the Baker's Wife in Into The Woods.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2005, 12:37:26 PM »

Ducks at the Peabody!

I love Robinson's Racing Pigs which are always at Rib Fest!

http://www.northwestfloridafair.com/robinson.htm

Happy Birthday, SteveO!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 12:38:22 PM by JRand54 »

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2005, 12:37:52 PM »

Having attended  the Sondheim 75th birthday gala, I'm thinking that Anne Hathaway would be a strong contender for the role of Johanna in the film.

And, having seen The Light in the Piazza, I wouldn't mind Matt Morrison in the role of Anthony.

Time will tell.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2005, 12:43:40 PM »

RE: the train station in "Alias" last night... I believe the way to access the headquarters is through the train station.  So, meeting at the train station would seem obvious?  

Favorite waltz's - anything by Jerry Herman, Prima Dona (from Phantom of the Opera) Carousel Waltz, Human Again, Waltz for Eva and Che, and one of my absolute favorites (to play anyhow) is Scott Joplin's "Bethena"

Matthew

« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2005, 12:46:05 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A BIG WEST COAST HAPPY B-DAY TO DR ANN!!!!  :)[/move]

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2005, 12:49:24 PM »

Here's my hilarious One of A Kind from Applause story (which probably loses a little in the translation to the printed page):  

I had written and was music directing a cabaret starring Susannah Mars (whom some of you know and love) and Todd Hermanson (whom none of you probably know, but would love anyway).  So I got us booked on the live morning show here in Portland to promote the thing.  Well it turns out Miss Professionalism Susannah had never done a live tv spot before and was scared out of her friggin' mind.  She kept moaning to Todd (who is this ultra-suave, ultra-smooth tall Nordic blond leading man type), "What if I go up?  What if I blow it."  And Todd, all ultra-suave and ultra-smooth, kept reassuring her that all would be fine (you may sense the *first* punchline coming already).

So's anyway our segment begins and I introduce the stars and say that we will be singing One of a Kind from Applause.  And Susannah does her verse perfectly.  It's Todd's turn.

Todd has absolutely NO clue what to sing, where he is, why the bright lights are shining, etc.  Now the really funny thing is (and we have this on tape), the floor director kept the camera on Susannah.  So as Todd is fumbling, literally humming along and saying lounge lizard things like "You, baby, you're one of a kind, y'know it, babe?", the camera is fixated on Susannah, who has this petrified Miss America smile while the terror is clearly creeping into her eyes.

I meanwhile am plugging along, thinking, should I just cadence and get them out of it?  When all of a sudden, Todd regains his faculties and starts singing for the last bar and a half (no joke).  So we end, and cut to commercial.

Susannah immediately loses it.  You have never heard such laughing in your life.  She is literally unable to breathe she is laughing so hard.

By the time we get to the lobby, she has huge raccoon eyes from her melting mascara and she has begun to hyperventilate (I swear I am not making this up).  So she gets down on her hands and knees and is gasping for air in the lobby of Channel 12.

READY FOR THE ULTIMATE PUNCHLINE???

At this point, who should walk in to the lobby, but the very distinguished (at that time) elder Senator from Oregon, Mark Hatfield.  Here is quite possibly the most notable politician in Oregon's history (save for maybe Tom McCall) and Susannah is on the floor with raccoon eyes and gasping breaths.

Senator Hatfield took one look at us and literally clung to the wall as he walked the perimeter of the room to avoid coming too close.  He then began urgently pressing the security button to get someone to let him into the studios.

This is one of my favorite all time stories and one we torment Todd with with great regularity.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2005, 12:51:43 PM »

RE: the train station in "Alias" last night... I believe the way to access the headquarters is through the train station.  So, meeting at the train station would seem obvious?  

Isn't that the subway station where their office is located?

Matthew

« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2005, 12:54:32 PM »

It would seem like a subway station, but they are in LA, I beleive, and to my knowledge, there is no subway there.  So, it must be a train station.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2005, 01:05:58 PM »

I saw Imelda Staunton play Adelaide in Guys & Dolls at the National.  Quite impressive!

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »

LEARN TO SALSA! dvd offer!  Wow!  Isn't that the Forbidden Dance?

vixmom

« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2005, 01:10:40 PM »

LEARN TO SALSA! dvd offer!  Wow!  Isn't that the Forbidden Dance?

Ha!  I say I can't dance and they start advertising
'Learn to Dance" videos!!!

Can "Learn to Sing" and "Lear to Play Piano" be far behind?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 01:11:46 PM by vixmom »

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2005, 01:29:17 PM »

Nobody else has seen Robinson's Racing Pigs?  Oh...well....maybe I am the only country bumpkin.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2005, 01:29:55 PM »

Other of vixmom's favorite waltzes include:
"Who Stole the Keishka?"
and
"The Beer Barrel Polka"
:)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2005, 01:31:02 PM »

I agree. LOST was magnificent last night. Both of the episodes that dealt with Locke's backstory have been among the best episodes of the season. I am really hoping Terry O'Quinn scores an Emmy nomination for his wonderful work in this series.

Matthew Fox looked quite nice all cleaned up, I must also add.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2005, 01:32:02 PM »

"Lear to Play Piano"

With Goneril, Regan and Cordelia in nice red sequin numbers lounging on top singing a waltz, no doubt!  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2005, 01:32:35 PM »

Other of vixmom's favorite waltzes include:
"Who Stole the Keishka?"
and
"The Beer Barrel Polka"
:)

You forgot the 1812 Overture!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2005, 01:32:50 PM »

Do Robinson's racing pigs tour the country? Because now that you mention it, there were some racing pigs at a county fair we went to upstate last summer.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up