Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING DAYS  (Read 26045 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING DAYS
« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2005, 06:27:39 PM »

Don't be too sure about that!  As long as her movies exist, someone is going to treasure these items.

Me, me, me, me, me!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2005, 06:28:15 PM »

Greetings from Greensboro!

I finally got on the road to Greensboro right before 1:00, and I was here just after 4:00.  Gorgeous day for a drive.  However, I have to wonder when the highway department of North Carolina will:

A) Repave the stretch of I-85 between the Virginia border and Henderson.  It's beginning to look like a sketch for a Jackson Pollock painting with all the tar patching they keep doing and doing.  And it doesn't look like any major work has been done to this stretch in about five or six years - or at least since I was working down at Duke on Eleanor.

B) When will all the work on the I-85 and SR70 exchange be finished?  That, too, was started when I working on Eleanor.  It's quite the project, and quite an awesome sight - BIG piles of earth and rubble off to the side of the road.  WOW!

-But, again, it was a nice drive down.

The hotel is very nice, and I even managed to get a nice run in on one of the treadmills in the on-site Health Club.

I checked out the room, and it's going to be interesting.  We were hear about five years ago, and they've remodeled in the meantime.  Lots of new carpeting.  Sound absorbing carpeting.  But the piano is nice.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #182 on: March 02, 2005, 06:29:35 PM »

OH!  The "American Idol" elimination show was only 30 minutes...  I was thinking it was an hour...  In any case..

Two "shocks" for me for who got voted off this week - which means two people who got lucky and get to stay another week.  Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: March 02, 2005, 06:30:26 PM »

OK - There's a reception upstairs for the Audition Staff...  Open Bar!

;)

-Actually, I'm more interested in the dessert selection.  I need some chocolate!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2005, 06:33:06 PM »

Oh, and I forgot to mention - it's raining again.   Which means the roof repair may get put off until next week.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2005, 06:34:23 PM »

Me, me, me, me, me!

See, JRand...there's always some whippersnapper ready to "inherit" the fruits of your labors.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2005, 06:35:05 PM »

Yes, DR Kerry is streamlining...and I have just been the recipient of a lovely package in the mail today from him...some issues of old movie mags from the 50s and 60s..Woohoo! I LOVE looking through these! There are always the articles about the secret life of Rock Hudson or about "why George Nader" will never marry! Very dramatic, but never as spicy as one might imagine they should, or rather could be!

Thanks Kerry!!!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2005, 06:36:49 PM »

Oh, and DR Kerry, I will let you know what I think of the new Bambi DVD if mine ever arrives from Amazon.com (along with the ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE dvd)...I pre-ordered it but it would appear it hasn't even shipped yet! As JRand54 would say GRRRRRRRR!

I even sprung for the extra postage for quick shipping so that maybe I would have it on the release date!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2005, 06:37:28 PM »

Tonight's "American Idol" results:

I have NO REGRETS about any one of them.  There were two I thought should have left tonight, but there is always next week..................
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2005, 06:38:34 PM »

Oh, and DR Kerry, I will let you know what I think of the new Bambi DVD if mine ever arrives from Amazon.com (along with the ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE dvd)...I pre-ordered it but it would appear it hasn't even shipped yet! As JRand54 would say GRRRRRRRR!

I even sprung for the extra postage for quick shipping so that maybe I would have it on the release date!

You should contact them.  Include your order number and state you PRE-ordered.  They recently did that to me with a pre-ordered title -- something got hung up in their system.  

They should also priority ship it to you and not charge you for shipping.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 06:44:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2005, 06:50:55 PM »

Okay, here is a question for any and all. What is the oddest item you own?

Where should I begin? I have this Swedish Chef hat. Is that odd? And I have this ugly chicken pitcher that I love. And I have these fencing pants that say RICHARDSON on them. For some reason, the guys I fence with think that's odd.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2005, 06:52:22 PM »

And I'm really sorry about your grandma, Joey.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Michael

« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2005, 07:04:06 PM »

Or was Michael having his tongue in cheek because he knew that's how we did it?

Actually I have never had the honor or pleasure of seeing you record the musicians. Just the singers. So I didn't really know that was what you did. I know I like what you did, but I really didn't know it.

Now I do and I am a better person for it.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2005, 07:15:08 PM »

Kerry, no snooze alert needed.  I enjoyed reading about your ties.  My grandfather only wore bowties.  Some were very colorful. :D

Jane

« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2005, 07:17:39 PM »

Rodzinsky I think the oldest item I own is a Ginny doll I was given for my fourth birthday.  

Jane

« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2005, 07:30:04 PM »

Bruce I tried finding your post from yesterday but couldn’t.  Guess I should have reread today’s column.  :-[

Do you find the reception on your new phones better?  Sometimes it is difficult to hear or be heard when we use our phones.  I really think it is the phone wires causing the problem, not the phones.  What did you buy?  We might go to Costco tomorrow, if so we will check out their phones.

Jane

« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2005, 07:32:32 PM »

I left to go watch a DVD of an English wedding.  Seems while I was gone everyone left.  The wedding took place in a beautiful courthouse, unlike any courthouse I have seen in the States.  It was fun watching the differences between our weddings and theirs.

Jane

« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2005, 07:33:09 PM »

Hi elmore.

Jane

« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2005, 07:44:25 PM »

Gotta go-'night.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2005, 08:01:17 PM »

Well, I've been reading Ethan Mordden's new SING FOR YOUR SUPPER.  After all the misinformation in his last book on my 1986 restoration with Tommy Krasker of Cole Porter's JUBILEE, he talks all about the show, relying quite a lot on the copy of my vocal score which I gave him in 1986, and never once mentions me!  Well, what do you want from someone who writes a book on Rodgers & Hammerstein and in it acknowledges everyone in the world but the person who introduced him to Ted Chapin of the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization?  I suppose it's better that he isn't generating more wrong info on JUBILEE, and hopefully if we ever get a recording, I'll have a chance to set the record straight.  On the plus side, he raves about the score, so that may generate some interest in it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2005, 08:01:41 PM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2005, 08:19:27 PM »

Jane, thank you.  You r grandfather sounds like a wonderful man.  Bow ties can do that! :)

Michael, you are most welcome.  I think I asked you this before, but what would you suggest for my first venture into Bollywood?  Yes, I'm a virgin.  (Where's TCB when we need him?)
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2005, 08:21:39 PM »

When Disney remasters one of their classics, Disney takes each individual frame and cleans it of dirt and debris. Other reviews I read, particularly Glenn Erickson's, mentioned that the film looked fantastic but not so overly scrubbed that brush strokes, etc were eliminated (which he said happened when SNOW WHITE was remastered). Perhaps my eye is not as discerning as his. They all look fabulous to me. But I thought the last remaster they did on BAMBI for laserdisc also looked terrific.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2005, 08:25:25 PM »

None of the eliminated contestants tonight surprised me at all on AMERICAN IDOL, but there were far worse singers who are getting to stay around another week. I know their time is coming, however.

I thought we had mentioned yesterday that all elimination shows are now to be thirty minutes.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2005, 08:27:47 PM »

Began SAD CYPRESS on DVD today. The most recent boxed set of POIROT mysteries are all feature length ones, and though I've read all the books they're based on, I have not seen any of these films, so it's a treat to see some new Suchet performances as Poirot.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2005, 08:38:02 PM »

I believe I've misspelled his name, and der Brucer has picked up on the misspelling.  His name should be spelled Benedick, with a "k" at the end instead of a "t".  His full name should be Benedick William Shakespaw.  

Whatever - I thought we were going for Monks who made booze.

Anyway, here is Benedick, waiting to go for his first walk.

He must be retarded - it took him almost two whole minutes to learn to walk on a leash :)

der Burcer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2005, 08:55:43 PM »

And that's today's doggy report.

Well, not quite all of it!

A brisk breeze blew open the front door, and before I knew it, the upstairs dogs were GONE!

SWW got a rude awakening and I went searching for leashes to go on a neighborhood serach - Woody called out "I see Mikey in the woodedlot next door". I went out front and was immediately greeted by Marty and Buster who had been exploring the plowed lot - I said 'Buscuit" and they trotted right over and went inside. Before I could get in the car, Mikey (who had probably ehar the "B" word), came dashing up the street and he, too, went right inside.

Two to go - and Fletcher can't hear if you call :-[

Since Mikey had returned walking up the hill, I took off in the car down the hill. When I got to the very end (a cul-de-sac in the marsh), Bonnie came running out from a drive next to a house under construction - I called to her, but she dashed away out of sight - to reappear moments later with Fletcher in-tow. It's almost like she realizes he is deaf, sticks by his side, and helps him out of trouble :-*.

They both happily hopped in the car and we went home.

End of Tail.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: March 02, 2005, 08:56:49 PM »

Back from Schwab's.  The gentleman who started the restaurant eight months ago, Steve, has moved on.  He got out while the gettin' was good.  When Pogue and I first discovered Schwab's it was a major find.  Great food, one of the best Caesar Salads in town, great meat loaf, personable staff.  Well, I'm giving this restaurant another few months before it goes completely in the toilet.  Both Pogue and I started with the half-Caesar.  This was always a nice big portion served in a bowl.  What we got was a few strands of lettuce. Worst of all, however, they changed the dressing.  How stupid are these people.  The new dressing was fairly blechhh-tasting.  So, they gave up having one of the best Caesars and are now just one of the many restaurants to serve up a middling one.  Pogue's ever-lovin' Julieanne had the sirloin strip salad, which she's had before and loved.  Tonight's wasn't edible and she had to return it and get a chicken version.  Pogue had the ever-reliable meat loaf and garlic mashed potatoes.  He said that it appeared to him as if the potatoes were but a shadow of their former self.  I had a bacon cheeseburger, which the waiter told me was the best burger in town.  It was fine, but hardly the best in town.  Their secret sauce was practically barf-inducing, so I used ketchup instead.  The one thing that was excellent was the eight layer chocolate cake that the three of us split.   I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone ever again.

Jane - I bought the Panasonic 5230 and I love the phones.  Great clarity.  And, best of all, it doesn't interfere with the wireless computer device.  Whatever you get, just make sure it's 5.8gh.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2005, 08:59:50 PM »

The busy dog-day is over, and the upstairs tribe contemplates their fate.

Marty and Mikey - glad to be out of the pound:

Bonnie and Buster - glad they weren't left behind in California:

Fletcher - just glad!

der Brucer

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #209 on: March 02, 2005, 09:03:13 PM »

Good evening all
I apologize for my E&T behavoir over the last two days.  I got a bit of a shock when I returned to work on Monday.  The family had been on vacation in Belize for two weeks, and mom's parents had gone with them.  They liked it down there so much that they decided to buy a house there.  Dad works for his father-in-law, who is now selling the busisness, which means dad is about to be unemployed.  Long story short, next week is my last week of work, at which time I will be officially totally unemployed. :( :(
Now begins the more desperate search for work...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up