Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YOU BET YOUR SWEET PATOOTIE  (Read 18751 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:YOU BET YOUR SWEET PATOOTIE
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2005, 01:02:56 PM »

It has been very quiet around ehre today. Done reading mostly, not a lot of DVD watching. COLD MOUNTIN is two and a half hours long, and I just wasn't in the mood for that. I watched WILL & GRACE again and about half of a CSI: MIAMI episode. THE VILLAGE will have to wait until tomorrow. Saturday night is always a vast wasteland on TV.

(And remember when Saturday night was the BEST night of TV with ALL IN THE FAMILY, MARY TYLER MOORE, MASH, BOB NEWHART, and CAROL BURNETT?)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2005, 01:06:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Whew!

-Breathe.

Making progress on a lot of fronts, and I'm even at the point where I can actually schedule my schedule for the next couple of days.  There's just been so much to do, that I just had to dive in and start doing it!  Nike!

;)

I called the MD about the gig.  No biggie.  I am not available since I'll be on the road with MAMMA MIA! at the same time, so...  I wished him well.

Just taking a little break right now before sorting through some more stuff, and, I actually may get some piano practice in later too!  That would be a very good thing for me right now, dontcha think?
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2005, 01:07:26 PM »

Oh, silly me!  I should have known if I used the term "ballin' the jack"  someone would go for the obvious innuendo.  For those non-geezers who never heard of "balling the jack"...

First you put your two knees close up tight
Then you sway 'em to the left, then you sway 'em to the right.
Step around the floor kind of nice and light,
Then you twist around and twist around with all your might,
Stretch your lovin' arms straight out in space
Then you do the eagle rock with style and grace
Swing your foot way 'round then bring it back,
Now that's what I call "Ballin' the Jack."

Of course, given those lyrics, it still might be describing some bizarre sexual act instead of a dance step.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 01:08:24 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2005, 01:09:53 PM »

I am hungry!  And I really feel like eating pizza.  I think I may go off my diet tomorrow and make my favorite frozen pizza.  McCain's International delight Parisienne pizza.  It has chicken and a creamy sauce and is the best frozen pizza i've ever tried.

But that still doesn't help me figure out what to eat now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2005, 01:11:48 PM »

Did anybody else see the absolutely mind-boggling news article on Tom Sizemore today and how he attempted to beat a random drug test?  His "stuntcock" was definitely not ready.   :o

I believe the incident happened about two weeks ago.  Did the article you read cite the website/company from which Mr. Sizemore bought his "accessory"?  Yes, his story is mind-boggling, but the fact that some entrepreneur(s) started up a business to fill the "need" for devices created specifically to pass drug tests is even moreso!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2005, 01:13:06 PM »

I am hungry!  And I really feel like eating pizza.  I think I may go off my diet tomorrow and make my favorite frozen pizza.  McCain's International delight Parisienne pizza.  It has chicken and a creamy sauce and is the best frozen pizza i've ever tried.

But that still doesn't help me figure out what to eat now.

Refer to the word of the day.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2005, 01:18:29 PM »

Friday afternoon greetings!

DR vixmom - I'm glad you made it to work safely in all that snow.

DR Danise - You are so good to your mother.  Be sure to take care of yourself, too.

DR Francois - Welcome back!

Media report - CD (car):  John Adams bio audiobook; iPod:  Chocolat soundtrack; DVD - ?(hope something good comes from Netflix today)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 01:19:07 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2005, 01:18:43 PM »

DR Danise - Best of Vibes to your Mom and you.

As for New York, just take it day by day.  Unless you really feel that your Mom's health may take a downturn by then, then just keep that "stiff upper lip", and keep preparing for your trip.  -Did you purchase your tickets in such a way that you can receive a refund/credit/transfer should you need to cancel?  And if your plane tickets are non-refundable - like most of them are nowadays - then that's just another reason to take it day by day.   *Just remember to call The Muse by 6:00 on the day of your check-in should you need to cancel.  -Or whenever their cancellation cut-off is.

;)

You are a wonderful daughter.

In the meantime, I'm sure the patented HHW Vibes will do their magic.  Looking forward to meeting you in NYC!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2005, 01:20:46 PM »

Today, I ate lunch at "Le Cheval," a Vietnamese-French restaurant.  It is next door to "Siam Bay," my favorite local Thai restaurant.

For lunch:

Squash and carrot soup
Le Cheval Combo -- skewered/grilled prawns/pork, spring roll, chicken drumettes, French rice.
Seasoned sauteed green beans
Jasmine Tea

It was yummy!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 01:21:13 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2005, 01:22:43 PM »

It IS exciting to see progress on our building! Thanks for letting me share my excitement here.

By the way, DR Danise would be my nominee for sainthood.

SAINTHOOD?  Santa Maria~  Thank you DearReaderLaura!

I stepped away to do a little laundry.  

Thank you all for the vibes.  

I’ve got to go look for the pictures of BK with his new blond “do”.  

Funny how when I was younger I swore that I would never dye my hair.  I would grow old gracefully surrendering the things of youth.  Well, reality set in.  I got this gray Irish forelock that I hate with a purple passion.  I have it no longer.  Enough said.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2005, 01:23:32 PM »

CD:  Bryn Terfel Sings Favorites

DR Elmore - I bought this in the same amazon.com order with my Benjamin Kritzer books and haven't listened to it yet.  I do love his voice.  I have read all the BK books, though, and liked them a lot.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2005, 01:23:33 PM »

Oh, silly me!  I should have known if I used the term "ballin' the jack"  someone would go for the obvious innuendo.  For those non-geezers who never heard of "balling the jack"...

First you put your two knees close up tight
Then you sway 'em to the left, then you sway 'em to the right.
Step around the floor kind of nice and light,
Then you twist around and twist around with all your might,
Stretch your lovin' arms straight out in space
Then you do the eagle rock with style and grace
Swing your foot way 'round then bring it back,
Now that's what I call "Ballin' the Jack."

Of course, given those lyrics, it still might be describing some bizarre sexual act instead of a dance step.
The last time I did anything like those lyrics describe, I threw my back out.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2005, 01:27:52 PM »

Thanks, Jose.  I can't say why but this time when I booked the trip, I bought the Cancel Trip Clause with Expedia.  

I think I might be able to exchange my plane tickets (if need be but I hope not) for a later date.  I would get a full refund on the hotel.

I will take it day by day.  I do have someone who would look in on Mom for me if need be but if something happened while I was away.

Say, I didn't know that "Sliders" was on the Sci Fi Channel.  I know it's out on DVD but I don't want to really buy the whole thing.  I did enjoy the series.  Did anyone else watch it?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2005, 01:28:08 PM »

Judy Garland and Gene Kelly do a delightful rendition of "Ballin' the Jack" in FOR ME AND MY GAL. Highly recommended.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »

(And remember when Saturday night was the BEST night of TV with ALL IN THE FAMILY, MARY TYLER MOORE, MASH, BOB NEWHART, and CAROL BURNETT?)

I remember this line up as well as I recall the Friday night ABC line-up:

Brady Bunch
Partridge Family
Room 222
Odd Couple
Love, American Style (truer than the red, white and blue) (oooh-ooooh)

I miss them both.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2005, 01:41:30 PM »

I didn't go out much as a kid.... :)

Danise

« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2005, 01:41:43 PM »

Wow!  What a change and with the pciture on the side it's like seeing BK dark and light at the same time.  Both sides looking good!

I'm also glad that VixMom came though that 360 degree turn alright.  Sounds like a job for Bonnie!

Ding!  Next load of clothes are done.  Gotta go do some folding.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2005, 01:45:17 PM »

I wonder why THE ODD COUPLE hasn't come out in DVD boxed sets. After the first season, when they begin appearing before live audiences using three cameras, the show really took off comedically, and was a don't-miss show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2005, 01:45:19 PM »

Jane, what shampoo would you recommend?

Had two count them two packages and a nice check waiting for me.  I am due another nice check from ASCAP.  When I got one earlier this week, there should have been another envelope delivered at the same time, to my publishing entity.  Since these went to my old address and were forwarded, I was dismayed that only one arrived.  I talked to ASCAP today and found out there was indeed another check for the exact same amount.  Hopefully it will arrive soon, but if it doesn't come in a week, they'll put a stop payment on it and reissue the check.  I really don't like the post office - they are so bloody lazy there.  Heaven knows what else hasn't come through.

I got two Joe Hisaishi CDs today, and my Li'l Abner pressbook, which is minty fresh with no cuts.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2005, 01:49:42 PM »

I recommend a shampoo made especially for hair that has been treated with chemicals...something by Paul Mitchell, for instance.

Mister Teddy should have insisted on your getting a special shampoo from his salon.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »

DR Ron, does the restaurant (Le Cheval) serve its namesake? :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2005, 01:53:21 PM »

I once had a meeting with Tom Sizemore back in the early nineties when I had an over-all TV development deal with Universal and they wanted to develop a series for him.  Somehow, I knew even then that anything I wrote, this guy would not want to do and anything he wanted to do, I wouldn't want to write.

François de Paris

« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2005, 02:56:33 PM »

Ahh, Dear François is back. We are amused and happy!

And what makes you ... amused, may I ask dear reader Ben?! ;)

(Btw, I can't wait for when I'm.... front! ??? :D)

I know.... no groaning! Gosh!

François de Paris

« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2005, 03:03:15 PM »

Welcome back, DR Francois de Paris.
Thanks! -- (i've posted already a few days ago!. Very discreetly. What do you know... I'm French! ;)

It's so nice to be back! (Oh, a Hello, Dolly reference!)
It's so nice to be black! (Oh, a hello, Dolly reference with Pearl!) :o

No groaning???

François de Paris

« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »

Not too much to add today.

May I suggest that you... substract instead? ;D

Danise

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »

BK, I agree.  You need to get a shampoo that is for your highlights.  I'm using the new Dove brand shampoo/conditioner for color treated hair.

I also like the new Brilliant Brunette.  We were discussing smells the other night.  Brilliant Brunette has a wonderful one and it has whole product line that matches it so your not mixing and matching.  

There is a blond version of Brilliant Brunette as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 03:25:49 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2005, 03:37:13 PM »

Oh, silly me!  I should have known if I used the term "ballin' the jack"  someone would go for the obvious innuendo.

I know--I can't believe someone would be so puerile and juvenile as to---oh, wait a minim, never mind.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2005, 03:38:03 PM »

I went to a beauty supply shop and got something both Tammy and the store recommended.  

Meanwhile, you will not believe it, but it is raining.  We had a nice sunny day, and in the last twenty minutes it got overcast again.  I was just getting ready to take a swim (which I'll still probably do) but how annoying is this?  I do not need it to be raining tonight when we head over to the restaurant.  The canyons are bad enough already.  It's only a light drizzle and I hope it just stops and goes away.  All predictions were that no rain would reappear until Sunday at the earliest.  Blechhh.

MALACOSTRACAN, that's what I say.

Ben

« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2005, 03:39:40 PM »

DR François said:

"And what makes you ... amused, may I ask dear reader Ben?!"

Why François, just a few days ago, Mr. BK's notes were titled "We Are Not Amused". Or didn't you read the notes young man ;). Besides, a good French man always amuses me. As  the song goes "Men from France can cancel a debt, Men in cufflinks make me forget my name" (a William Finn reference) ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 03:41:21 PM by Ben »

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2005, 03:41:06 PM »

Thanks for the musical interlude DR JRand54! I used to love those apes!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up