Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SEGUE  (Read 20659 times)

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:SEGUE
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2005, 09:36:23 AM »

I am having no trouble with the large photo....  :D

To listen to samples of RED GARTERS songs follow the link.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1862176/a/Red+Garters%2FIrving+Berlins+White+Christmas.htm

DR MATTH I think I have read that June's singing on A PERFECT LOVE is indeed dubbed.   :P
....it has an undertaste.....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2005, 09:37:26 AM »

Wasn't the RED GARTERS soundtrack LP among the most prized of all 50s LPs? Maybe not up there with THE CAINE MUTINY but close?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2005, 09:37:38 AM »

RED GARTERS page Three Dance.  ;D

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2005, 09:38:23 AM »

I think so MATTH.  I wish I had one.  I have the Clooney Columbia recordings on CD - but NOT the other fun songs.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2005, 09:39:48 AM »

I don't have the soundtrack either, though I did see it for sale once. They were asking $125.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2005, 09:42:32 AM »

DR vixmom - Thank you for the delightful description of your Girls' Day in Manhattan.  Sounds like fun!  Do Jen and the Vixter have favorite American Girls?  If I were that age, mine would be Kit, who lives in Cincinnati (near where I live now) during the Depression.  I'm of the age, though, when Eloise was the big book/doll tie-in, and I remember very clearly when my big sister took me to Hudson's in downtown Detroit to meet Kay Thompson and get an autographed copy of Eloise.

Welcome back!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2005, 09:42:49 AM »

Whew!  I saw it once many years ago for about $25 - wish I had bought it.  Oh well.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2005, 09:43:31 AM »

I don't know from American Girls - but it sounds like you had a good time, Vixmom.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2005, 09:45:17 AM »

Vixmom - that sounds like a delightful bear.

It's so pretty outside.

Ben

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2005, 09:58:17 AM »

Oh, my it's so dangerous when Anthony isn't home for lunch. He has auditions today so I went home, dropped off some papers and then went back out again. Where did I go, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. I went to Footlight and while there I purchased the very recently released Original Off-Broadway Cast Recording of The Mad Show starring Linda Lavin, MacIntyre Dixon, Dick Libertini, Paul Sand and Jo Anne Worley. Ted Chapin deconstructs the name Esteban Ria Nido and explains why Sondheim used a "Nom de Plume". I shall listen to this CD at work today or I may wait until tomorrow and listen on Talent Roundup Day.

I also picked up the new cast recording of The Frogs and the new Jamie de Roy CD When I Grow Up. I also picked up the CD to the Disney cartoon, Teacher's Pet featuring the voice of Nathan Lane as a dog who wants to be human. I never saw the movie but I heard it was nice so now I have the CD.

That, DRs was how I spent my lunch hour.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:59:21 AM by Ben »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2005, 10:00:41 AM »

This morning I walked over to the new church building, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2005, 10:10:38 AM »

Oh dear, Judd - now I feel bad.

Poor Judd?  Is he daid?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2005, 10:18:42 AM »

Yes, he is, DR RON.

DR MATTH - Jo Ann Greer did indeed sing "A Perfect Love" for Junie in THE OPPOSITE SEX.  She also sang for Susan Kohner in IMITATION OF LIFE.....love that jazzy number in the sleazy nightclub - before she goes to LA to star at the Moulin Rouge.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 10:21:18 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2005, 10:19:06 AM »

Looks like work is coming right long, DR LAURA.  Will you have an office in the new building?

Jrand74

• Rosemary's Baby
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »

Thanks for mentioning the neighborhoods in STRANGERS WHEN WE MEET, MR BK.  I also love the house that is being built for Ernie Kovacs in the movie.  I want to live in THAT house.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2005, 10:30:28 AM »

Catty comment department:  I am multi-tasking, working on editing choral charts on the computer as I listen to the expanded 2CD version of Chick Corea's Light as a Feather.  May I just say I generally love Flora Purim, I have met her and she is a lovely person, but oy, oy, oy, was she awful on these never before released tracks (one can see why they never released them).  She wouldn't have lasted a minute on AI (not that she's their kind of singer anyway).  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2005, 10:37:30 AM »

Well, I'm continuing to have technical issues with my old laptop - and actually, it appears I may be having an issue with my new laptop too.  Or perhaps they are just being PERSNICKETY today.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2005, 10:39:16 AM »

Vixmom - that sounds like a delightful bear.

Yes, but do you want one sitting on your piano, for example, it can be arranged. :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 10:43:36 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »

Well, I would never be so crass as to say "Yes, that bear would look swell on my piano."  

JMK, I believe I wrote about the Alpert rarities album last week.  Love it.

JMK

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2005, 10:53:29 AM »

Well, I would never be so crass as to say "Yes, that bear would look swell on my piano."  

JMK, I believe I wrote about the Alpert rarities album last week.  Love it.

Must have been one of the days I missed due to sickness.  I'll search for it.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2005, 10:59:34 AM »

Well hang on to your hat, sister woman!

Let's talk about "Mama's Family."  In the beginning, "Mama" was living with her sister Frannie (Rue McClanahan) who had not only a bedroom upstairs, but an office.

When she died (choking on a toothpick in a restaurant's ladies room), Thelma's son Vint and his two children moved in.  BOTH children had rooms upstairs.  The girl had Fran's bedroom and the boy had Fran's office.  Vint lived in the basement.

Later, when the boy and girl moved away to be with their mother, grandson Bubba arrives, and he moves upstairs.  Vint marries Naomi, and for the rest of the series, Vint and Naomi -- who live in the basement -- both want an upstairs bedroom, but there's no room as long as Bubba is there.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER ROOM??????  There were three...and suddenly, in the final seasons, one has disappeared.

Well obviously, Bubba turned it into a ensuite bathroom!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2005, 10:59:41 AM »

RED GARTERS is a good obscure choice.  

Here are four of mine:

ABOUT FACE:  A musical version of BROTHER RAT starring Gordon Macrae, Eddie Bracken, and Dick Wesson, featuring a young Joel Grey...pre-nose-bob...doing a Jerry Lewis bit.  numbers: Spring has Sprung; Piano, Bass, and Drum.

THREE SAILORS & A GIRL...another Gordo Macrae film, supported by Jane Powell, Gene Nelson, and rotound comedian Jack E. Leonard (an insult comedian before Don Rickles).  With an odd cameo at the end by Burt Lancaster.  With ditties like Home is Where The Heart Is and You Better Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, or I'll Scream...

SHE'S WORKING HER WAY THROUGH COLLEGE...an odd musical where the leads, Ronald Reagen, Phyllis Thaxter, and Don DeFore are all non-singing...and the musical work is done by Gene Nelson and Virginia Mayo.  It is worth it solely for  Gene Nelson's acrobatic number in a gymnasium, AM I IN LOVE?

MISSISSIPPI...Bing Crosby and W.C. Fields in an antebellum concoction with some great Rodgers/Hart songs...SOON, EASY TO REMEMBER, DOWN BY THE RIVER, and a great running bit by Fields ("...I carved my way through a wall of human flesh...dragging my canoe behind me...")

And as a curiosity...

PLAYMATES with Kay Kyser and his band with John Barrymore on his last legs (either this or WORLD PREMIERE with Frances Farmer was his last film).  Barrymore is very sad in this spectacle, but there is a moment where he delivers a snatch of a Shakespearean sililoquy (MacBeth's Tomorrow and Tomorrow...I believe), stopping mid-way and saying: "That's enough of that."  It's a poignant moment that is almost too real, where it looks like his faltering memory can't recall anymoreor his memory of greater glories can't stand anymore... and you get a brief glimpse of the shadow of what he once was...

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2005, 11:02:23 AM »

Well being here on the East coast I have never had the privilege to see your piano, so I would have to ask, for example,  it could be that it is already covered with gifts from your many adoring fans   :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 11:02:52 AM by vixmom »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2005, 11:02:54 AM »

I'd really love to see About Face again.  Joel Grey with his old nose, and I remember his musical number being pretty good.  They used to show it all the time when I was a kid, but it's never been on video, which seems strange.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2005, 11:09:01 AM »

Old noses...and hard-earned wrinkles...

That could be the title of a book...

...or a country-western song.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2005, 11:21:05 AM »

I'm of the age, though, when Eloise was the big book/doll tie-in, and I remember very clearly when my big sister took me to Hudson's in downtown Detroit to meet Kay Thompson and get an autographed copy of Eloise.

WARNING  HHW MEN -YOU MAY WISH TO SKIP THIS POST ENTIRELY!!!!!

I remember Eloise very fondly.  There has been a lot of reminicsing (spelling!) about here on the local NPR channels lately with all the talk of turning The Plaza into condos or coops or some such thing...

DR vixmom - Thank you for the delightful description of your Girls' Day in Manhattan.  Sounds like fun!  Do Jen and the Vixter have favorite American Girls?  If I were that age, mine would be Kit, who lives in Cincinnati (near where I live now) during the Depression.

Jen has the Nellie & Samantha dolls from 1905 and a Molly from 1944

The Vixter has a Kirsten, a Swedish immigrant moved to Minnesota (in the 1850's I beleive) which is what sent us down this road in the first place!! I had absolutely put my foot down that I was not going to spend $84 for a doll simply because of a book tie-in and some nice clothes and accessories.  But we were at a garage sale on day and there was a Kirsten, with all her original clothes, less her shoes, in great condition and they were only asking $14...so I bought it.

Well the Vixter played so much with it and took such good care of it that she got the long desired Kaya (1640's Native American) doll for Christmas....and then there was the oriental American Girl Today girl for her birthday, and then this Christmas, she got the American Girl Today doll that looks like her... and yesterday she bought  Marisol, a Hispanic doll from Chicago  whose love is dancing... that one she bought with the American Girl Gift Certificates she had received from a couple of her aunts as Christmas gifts this year... so much for me putting my foot down!!! :D

The one I was interested in was Molly from 1944...she is a contemporary of my mother and I thought that would be a fun thing for the Vixter , but she's not interested ...

Okay HHW men, it is safe to read my posts again... I think I have exhausted this subject!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 01:55:32 PM by vixmom »

JMK

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2005, 11:27:14 AM »

BK, Al Gore, John Ashcroft or whoever controls the internet these days does not want me to read whatever you posted about Alpert Rarities.  I have tried four times now to search for your comments and have gotten the dreaded "website not responding" error each time.

vixmom

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2005, 11:37:42 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]THANK YOU DR MATTHEW!!!!![/move]

I have just received here at my very desk a package from you  containing not one but TWO treatments of Jeeves.  I am at this very moment listeningtothe oveture to the London Cast recording.  Thank you so much!!! :D

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2005, 11:42:26 AM »

WARNING  HHW MEN -YOU MAY WISH TO SKIP THIS POST ENTIRELY!!!!!

Oh, DR Vixmom...I am sure that many of the men on this here board don't mind.  After all, we have put you through enough nattering on about Brent Barrett, The WSMA (world's sexiest man alive, in HHW speak), and other such beefcake-y topics such as Bollywood hunk John Abraham, etc.  Surely, none of us are offended by the knowledge that a girl might be enchanted by a doll.  Or even want to collect them.  After bakelite and deco cocktail shakers, what else is there left to collect BUT dolls?

vixmom

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2005, 11:52:49 AM »

Oh, DR Vixmom...I am sure that many of the men on this here board don't mind.  After all, we have put you through enough nattering on about Brent Barrett, The WSMA (world's sexiest man alive, in HHW speak), and other such beefcake-y topics such as Bollywood hunk John Abraham, etc.  

AAH, yes...bUt I enjoy looking at those pictures as well!!! ;D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up